Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**Please note, I've attached this post, in PDF format to this post, as the steps are numbered on the attached PDF, but not on the post.

Here is a Quick write up on replacing the Valve body on the 2014-2016 Q50 with the VQ37VHR Motor & RE7R01A Transmission. The P0720 is a TCM short code, and usually is not caused by the output speed sensor (However, this does not mean it will always be the TCM. See NHTSA.GOV link below) This a very common issue with these transmissions.
The project seems complicated, but it is honestly not that bad, If you have ever replaced parts like an alternator, compressor, ECT. But please, for your own sake, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS, IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH WORKING ON YOUR CAR!!! You are dealing with very fragile equipment and missing a step can cause some major issues, and not cheap ones!!!
With that out of the way, if you follow the provided steps & PLEASE ALSO use the FSM linked below, you should not miss anything.
DISCLAIMER, I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL MECHANIC. However, with the proper tools, and enough research, you should be able to do it as well
I am going to say it a lot, and I mean it. USE THE FSM!!!!!
FSM For Transmission: Factory Service Manuals - NICOclub
  • Key Pages:
  • TM-121 & TM-122 (Diagnosis, Skip over sensor replacement)
  • TM-219 – TM-222 (Valve body replacement)
Diagnosis:

Items Needed:
  • New/Refurb/Used Valve Body
  • Purchased mine from Ebay. It was “Rebuilt” Test drove 100 Miles, so far so good. Transmission shifts smoothly, and I haven’t had a issue yet. Seller offers 1 Year Warranty Here’s the link: Rebuilt RE7R01A JR710E JR711 Valve Body W/Solenoids/TCM 14UP Infinity Q50 | eBay
  • 10 QTS of Nissan Matic S (999MP-MTS00P) YOU MUST USE OEM FULID
    • I found that Z1 Motorsports has it for the cheapest.
    • Buy one or two extra just incase you spill a bottle or something
  • New Drain Bolt – Part Number: 31377-31X06
  • New Fill Bolt – 31361-1XJ0A
  • Oil Pan Gasket* – Part Number: 31397-1XJ0A
    • *Yes, you need this. Replace it.
  • Charge Pipe – CTA Tools 7425 ATF Filler Adapter
  • Size 5 Hex Bit (NOT TORX) – For fill bolt
  • Torque wrench – Needs to be able to read as low as 5 ft lbs
  • 19 MM Socket – For Drain Bolt
  • 10 MM Socket – For everything else
  • Fluid Transfer Pump – Harbor Freight
  • 4 Jack Stands & a Jack / or a lift (Car level will need to be even)
  • 2 people HIGHLY recommended

There are a lot of diagrams/pictures listed in the FSM, wherever you see “See FSM for explanation” below, you will need to refer to the image for that step.
Steps (Please note, most of this is transferred over from the FSM, However, will place tips in between that may help. PLEASE REFER TO FSM, AS THERE ARE IMAGES THAT WILL HELP YOU TREMENDOUSLY) :
  • Remove rear engine cover. Refer to EXT-35, "FLOOR UNDER COVER: Removal and Installation".
  • Drain ATF through drain plug. (You can expect to see 7 QTS Before dripping, there is about 2 more qts coming, after dropping the pan. This is a messy process!
  • Remove exhaust mounting bracket with power tool. Refer to EX-5, "Exploded View".
  • Disconnect heated oxygen sensor 2 connectors. (No need to remove the sensors, just unplug)
  • Remove heated oxygen sensor 2 harness from clips .
  • Remove bracket from transmission assembly. Refer to TM242, "2WD : Exploded View" (2WD), TM-245, "AWD : Exploded View" (AWD).
  • Remove clips. (See FSM for explanation)
  • Remove oil pan and oil pan gasket. (See FSM for explanation)
  • Remove magnets from oil pan. Clean magnets and oil pan. (See FSM for explanation)
  • Remove snap ring from joint connector. IMPORTANT (See FSM for explanation)
  • Push joint connector. (You will need to push this clip into the transmission. You may not be able to push it in all the way in, maybe just about ½ inch in) (See FSM for explanation)
  • Disconnect output speed sensor connector. (See FSM for explanation)
    • CAUTION: Be careful not to damage connector.
  • Disengage terminal clip. (See FSM for explanation)
  • Remove bolts and clip from the control valve & TCM.
    • BOLT SIZES ARE DIFFERENT. Follow the FSM and remove one set of bolts at a time. The FSM (Page TM-220) Shows you which ones are different, and label them by letter.
    • *HEADS UP! * The bolts themselves have lettering & numbering on them. IGNORE THIS!!!! FOLLOW FSM!!!!
    • Stay organized. For example, remove the “A” Bolts, then place them in a ziplock bag labeled “A”. Then do the same for B, C, D & E, being sure to label the baggies correctly. This will help you a lot
    • There will be a total of 15 bolts, you do not need to remove the filter.
  • Slowly Remove the control valve & TCM from transmission case. The same Joint connector mentioned in step 11 will need to be pushed in, while you are dropping the Valve body
  • Remove joint connector from the control valve & TCM using a flat-bladed screwdriver
  • Disconnect TCM harness connector
BEFORE INSTALLING YOUR NEW VALVE BODY, YOU MAY NEED TO TRANSFER OVER A FEW PARTS
Just lay both valve bodies side by side, TCM & Solenoids facing up, you’ll see what is different, here are the pieces :
  • The tannish plastic solenoids cover.
  • The TCM harness mentioned in Step 17.
  • The bracket that the Joint connector is mounted to (Mentioned in step 15)

Installation (The fun part…)
Note the following and install in the reverse order of removal.
  • Start to position the valve body, refer to the tips below
CAUTION:
  • Be careful not to damage connector when installing any connector.
  • Never reuse joint connector. (I did….)
  • Apply ATF to O-ring of joint connector.
  • Never reuse drain plug and drain plug gasket. In addition, install new drain plug and drain plug gasket after adjustment of A/T fluid filling.
Refer to the following when installing the control valve & TCM to transmission case.
CAUTION:
  • Make sure that input speed sensor securely installs input speed sensor holes .
  • Hang down output speed sensor harness toward outside so as not to disturb installation of the control valve & TCM.
  • Adjust joint connector of the control valve & TCM to terminal hole of transmission case.
  • Assemble it so that manual valve cutout is engaged with manual plate projection.
At this point, you should be trying to put your new Valve body in. Please refer to some of my tips
  • The manual plate projection should have something that almost looks like a hook on the top of it. This may get in your way of mounting the valve body. It will hit the top of the valve body, preventing it from mounting flush. When installing, get the joint connector lined up first. Then tilt the valve body to the right a bit (The side that the manual projection plate is on) and keep moving it around until the little hook looking thing, goes under the valve body. Make sure that the cutout valve and projection plates are aligned correctly
  • Install bolts and clip to the control valve & TCM. (See FSM for explanation)
  • Tighten E Bolt to the specified torque before tightening the other than bolts. 5.8 FT LBS / 70 IN LBS / 7.9 NM (See FSM for explanation)
  • Tighten the other bolts one letter at a time. All bolts will need to be tightened to 5.8 FT LBS / 70 IN LBS / 7.9 NM (See FSM for explanation)

Installing Oil Pan
CAUTION:
  • Clean foreign materials (gear wear particles) that adhere on the inside of the oil pan and on the magnet, and then assembly.
  • Completely remove all moisture, oil and old gasket, etc. from oil pan gasket mounting surface of transmission case and oil pan.
  • Never reuse oil pan gasket and oil pan mounting bolts.
  • Install oil pan gasket in the direction to align hole position.
  • Tighten the oil pan mounting bolts to the specified torque in the numerical order as shown in the figure after temporarily tightening them. (See FSM for explanation)
  • Hand tighten all bolts first, then torque them down to 5.8 FT LBS / 70 IN LBS / 7.9 NM (See FSM for explanation)

Great, you have made it this far! Now it is time to add the fluid. See TM-204 – TM-207. I will literally be copying and pasting this part of the FMS here. This is written out every well, please follow this step by step and DO NOT skip a step here (However, we will be skipping the first few steps, as there is no fluid in the pan, so there is no need to drain an empty pan. Skip to step 2, part E)
CAUTION:
  • Use only recommended ATF. Never mix with other ATF. Using ATF other than recommended ATF will cause deterioration in drivability and A/T durability, and may damage the A/T, which is not covered by the INFINITI new vehicle limited warranty.
  • When filling ATF, be careful not to scatter heat generating parts such as exhaust.
E. Remove overflow plug from oil pan.
F. Install the charging pipe (A) to the overflow plug hole. (Hand Tight)
G. Install the bucket pump hose (B) to the charging pipe.

CAUTION:
  • Insert the bucket pump hose all the way to the end of the charging pipe.
H. Fill approximately 3 liters (3-1/8 US qt, 2-5/8 lmp qt) of the ATF.
I. Remove the bucket pump hose to remove the charging pipe, and then temporarily tighten the overflow plug to the oil pan.
  • CAUTION: Quickly perform the procedure to avoid ATF leakage from the oil pan.
J. Lift down the vehicle. Or just sit in it, if it’s on stands.
K. Start the engine and wait for approximately 3 minutes.
L. Stop the engine.
3. Step 3
a. Repeat “Step 2”.
b. After repeating step to, move to step 4.
4. Final Step (You do not need to lower and lift the car every time, unless if you’re using an actual lift. Also, don’t worry about using CONSULT to check ATF temp. Just let the car run for 3 minutes at a time, after pumping in the transmission fluid.
a. Use CONSULT to check that the ATF temperature is 40°C (104°F) or less.
b. Lift up the vehicle.
c. Remove the drain plug from the oil pan, and then drain the ATF.
d. When the ATF starts to drip, tighten the drain plug to the oil pan to the specified torque. Refer to TM-218, "Exploded View". TORQUE TO 25 FT LBS
  • CAUTION: Never reuse drain plug and drain plug gasket.
e. Remove overflow plug from oil pan.
f. Install the charging pipe (A) to the overflow plug hole.
  • CAUTION: Tighten the charging pipe by hand.
g. Install the bucket pump hose (B) to the charging pipe.
  • CAUTION: Insert the bucket pump hose all the way to the end of the charging pipe.
h. Fill approximately 3 liters (3-1/8 US qt, 2-5/8 lmp qt) of the ATF.
i. Remove the bucket pump hose to remove the charging pipe, and then temporarily tighten the overflow plug to the oil pan.
  • CAUTION: Quickly perform the procedure to avoid ATF leakage from the oil pan.
j. Lift down the vehicle.
k. Start the engine.
l. Make the ATF temperature approximately 40°C (104°F). NOTE: The ATF level is greatly affected by the temperature. Always check the ATF temperature on “ATF TEMP 1” of “Data Monitor” using CONSULT.
m. Park vehicle on level surface and set parking brake.
n. Shift the selector lever through each gear position. Leave selector lever in “P” position.
o. Lift up the vehicle when the ATF temperature reaches 40°C (104°F) and remove the overflow plug from the oil pan.
p. When the ATF starts to drip, tighten the overflow plug to the oil pan to the specified torque. Refer to TM218, "Exploded View". Torque to 9 FT LBS
  • CAUTION: Never reuse overflow plug.

You’re all done. I really hope this helps you. Good Luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
HI Govin.R,

I have problem with my Transmission , does this work with Q50 hybrid ?

what about replacing only the Transmission Control Module can this resolve the issue?
Control Module

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
Just got my car back yesterday from having the valve body replaced in my 2014. It ended up being in the shop for over 2 months with the part on backorder. Was told there were over 750 valve bodies on backorder. Ended up costing $2400 parts and labor to have it fixed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Just got my car back yesterday from having the valve body replaced in my 2014. It ended up being in the shop for over 2 months with the part on backorder. Was told there were over 750 valve bodies on backorder. Ended up costing $2400 parts and labor to have it fixed.
is your car Q50 hybrid?

·
Premium Member
256 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
No, its the Premium
There is no valve body for the Q50 hybrid and Infiniti suggest replacing the whole thing , it is obvious that these cars have issues with their transmissions. Maybe the Control Module can't handel high tempreture inside the transmissions.

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
There is no valve body for the Q50 hybrid and Infiniti suggest replacing the whole thing , it is obvious that these cars have issues with their transmissions. Maybe the Control Module can't handel high tempreture inside the transmissions.
I spoke to the parts manager and he told me Infiniti was aware there was a problem, and that part of the delay was due to them redesigning the part to assure it didn't happen again.

My car is a 2014 and had 97k on it at failure, but he suggested I file a case with Infiniti in case they were to issue some type of recall or TSB. He said out of the 750+ parts that were on backorder, mine was like #130 in line, and it still took over 2 months to receive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I have a big problem with my hybrid Q50S. On October 29, the car stopped working, the gasoline engine stopped and the electric motor was barely traveling at 5 km per hour. The mechanic told me that it was the Module (TCM) and the speed sensor, we bought it from a supplier in California but the car does not recognize the module if it recognizes the speed sensor. The seller sent us another module and the car if he recognizes it but it does not run on a gasoline engine either. I've been researching and apparently the modules being sold are for Q50 engines and not Q50S Hybrid engines. Please, if anyone knows if it is possible to change the module for hybrids, I would appreciate it and the contact where to buy it. Dealer suggests transmission replacement but it's a lot of money
Thank you

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, I have a big problem with my hybrid Q50S. On October 29, the car stopped working, the gasoline engine stopped and the electric motor was barely traveling at 5 km per hour. The mechanic told me that it was the Module (TCM) and the speed sensor, we bought it from a supplier in California but the car does not recognize the module if it recognizes the speed sensor. The seller sent us another module and the car if he recognizes it but it does not run on a gasoline engine either. I've been researching and apparently the modules being sold are for Q50 engines and not Q50S Hybrid engines. Please, if anyone knows if it is possible to change the module for hybrids, I would appreciate it and the contact where to buy it. Dealer suggests transmission replacement but it's a lot of money
Thank you
That seems like a programming issue. You may need to find a TCM that doesn't need to be programed. Are you getting any check engine light codes?

·
Registered
4 Posts
That seems like a programming issue. You may need to find a TCM that doesn't need to be programed. Are you getting any check engine light codes?
Thank you for answering, I attach the lights that the car emits and the codes that the mechanic showed me at the beginning, at this time I only indicate the module. I also think it's a programming issue

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts