Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I know this subject has been beat to death but I have a clarification question:

The Infiniti parts website simply lists a rear ABS wheel speed sensor. It does not appear to have a right or left version. My question is:

Is there only one sensor that covers both wheels? Or do I need to buy two of these sensors?

Infiniti parts website (check that dealer isn't overcharging for parts):

My baby was legally parked and unoccupied when a dumbass hit it at the front driver wheel. The dealer's collision shop replaced the upper control arm and gave it back. I'm like, knowing it was hit dead on at the wheel, why would you not replace the bearing and hub? They go "oops, your right" 馃檭馃檭馃檭馃檭 by the way they only replaced that tire, with a used tire at that. I ALWAYS replace all four corners, so I literally had to throw all the tires away and buy a new set, out of pocket.

Ok fine, I get it back, drive it for 2 days, start getting these error codes which I've never gotten before. Insurance refuses to cover it, and given the rear sensors are what's to blame, they're using the obvious defense that this is unrelated to the impact. To an extent, I understand. I also feel like the drive system is what took the brunt of the damage and it's not possible to say whether it's unrelated or not. All they have is my word to go on that I've never seen these errors, but I've meticulously maintained this car (still think it's the best looking car on the road ... that I can afford), and I've been a customer for 13 years, with not a single claim. And the one claim I've filed, was for an accident I wasn't technically involved in, other than being the one to have to cover all the costs (more on that if you're interested).

Anyway, the dealership wants to charge me $1,067.21 to replace the ABS sensors (plural). I was apoplectic at that price knowing on any other car we're talking about a $20 part. I was expecting maybe $200 all in (2 parts + labor), and we're nearly 5.5x that.

I found on this forum that others have used the Q70 sensor, maybe Infiniti got hip to that because they're charging the same price for that part, now. I'm not even at 100,000 miles yet, was hoping to take her to at least 200,000 miles, and am reluctant to use non factory parts if I expect her to last that long.

So if the dealer is charging me for 2 parts and I only need one, I'll pay the $500. If not, this might be the very first non factory part on the old girl.

Registered
A lady here got charged same amount yesterday I believe for the same thing. Stealership pricing is absurd these days. You should look at your work order and find the hourly rate, curious what it is to hit the $1k mark.

Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe
Just another example of the complete scam that is car insurance. They love taking your money but HATE spending it.

I would fight them on it. Threaten to take them to small claims court. I've done this and won although the dollar amount was higher. It will cost your insurance company way more than $1,000 to send someone to court. Give it a shot and see if they back down.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I got the part numbers from the dealer, those parts and prices (from parts.infinitiusa.com, as of January 2023) are:

47900-4GA0A, $321.20
47901-4GA0A, $326.82

For a total of $648.62, I'm in Michigan so add 6% sales tax, I SHOULD be at $687.54 in parts.

However, the dealer is charging me $420.82 and $419.11, respectively. This totals $839.93 ($191.31 extra charges on parts) and with tax, $890.33 (extra $10.89 in tax).

Taking that out of the $1,067.21 gives me labor charges of $176.88.

Assuming they're charging $70 an hour (I literally pulled this out of my 'you know what') gives me 2.5 hours of labor.

That said, here's the fat that I think could be trimmed:

$202.20 in additional costs in parts and taxes

Gets me down to $865.01

And I'm curious on the community's input on if 2.5 hours sounds reasonable. From what I understand this is a relatively simple "plug and play" sensor installation. Maybe the shop has a minimum hours they do on service. Maybe they don't. What do you guys and gals think/what are your experiences?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just another example of the complete scam that is car insurance. They love taking your money but HATE spending it.

I would fight them on it. Threaten to take them to small claims court. I've done this and won although the dollar amount was higher. It will cost your insurance company way more than $1,000 to send someone to court. Give it a shot and see if they back down.
I'm in Michigan, specifically Detroit, where we have the highest insurance rates in the nation. I had an M35x before my Q50, my insurance had gotten pretty low... About $120 a month. When I upgraded to my Q50 Hybrid, my insurance sky rocketed to $400 a month... Same driver. Same address. No tickets. Literally the only thing that changed was the car they were insuring.

Over time, it's fallen again. I'm not sure exactly how much I pay for the Q50 as I've also added a Ford Taurus to my policy, but total for cars I pay about $320 per month in insurance. I also own a Honda CBR 929RR (super sport motorcycle) on which I pay $60 a month in insurance (yes, in Michigan you have to maintain insurance through the 6 months of winter to avoid a spike in premiums for having it uninsured for any length of time).

For the vast majority of the time I'm insuring two cars and one motorcycle. I just averaged my total insurance payments to $300 each month, over 13 years, gets me to $46,800. In 13 years, I've never filed a single claim, until now.

I maintain complete coverage on my vehicles. So imagine how insulted I feel that so far, the repair bill has only been $5,000 and my insurance company isn't tripping over itself to set me right. I'm not asking for a new car. I want MY car. I just want it back in the condition it was in before Dummies #1 and #2 decided to slam into my car.

Administrator
Newport, Oregon
Hello everyone, I know this subject has been beat to death but I have a clarification question:

The Infiniti parts website simply lists a rear ABS wheel speed sensor. It does not appear to have a right or left version. My question is:

Is there only one sensor that covers both wheels? Or do I need to buy two of these sensors?

Infiniti parts website (check that dealer isn't overcharging for parts):

My baby was legally parked and unoccupied when a dumbass hit it at the front driver wheel. The dealer's collision shop replaced the upper control arm and gave it back. I'm like, knowing it was hit dead on at the wheel, why would you not replace the bearing and hub? They go "oops, your right" 馃檭馃檭馃檭馃檭 by the way they only replaced that tire, with a used tire at that. I ALWAYS replace all four corners, so I literally had to throw all the tires away and buy a new set, out of pocket.

Ok fine, I get it back, drive it for 2 days, start getting these error codes which I've never gotten before. Insurance refuses to cover it, and given the rear sensors are what's to blame, they're using the obvious defense that this is unrelated to the impact. To an extent, I understand. I also feel like the drive system is what took the brunt of the damage and it's not possible to say whether it's unrelated or not. All they have is my word to go on that I've never seen these errors, but I've meticulously maintained this car (still think it's the best looking car on the road ... that I can afford), and I've been a customer for 13 years, with not a single claim. And the one claim I've filed, was for an accident I wasn't technically involved in, other than being the one to have to cover all the costs (more on that if you're interested).

Anyway, the dealership wants to charge me $1,067.21 to replace the ABS sensors (plural). I was apoplectic at that price knowing on any other car we're talking about a $20 part. I was expecting maybe $200 all in (2 parts + labor), and we're nearly 5.5x that.

I found on this forum that others have used the Q70 sensor, maybe Infiniti got hip to that because they're charging the same price for that part, now. I'm not even at 100,000 miles yet, was hoping to take her to at least 200,000 miles, and am reluctant to use non factory parts if I expect her to last that long.

So if the dealer is charging me for 2 parts and I only need one, I'll pay the $500. If not, this might be the very first non factory part on the old girl.
I have never seen a post here where both wheel speed sensors (front or rear) failed at the same time. This is where having your own OBDII scan tool can help you determine what needs to be done or more importantly, what doesn't need to be done. As far as the cost to repair, it would depend on if it's just the wheel speed sensor that needs to be replaced or does the sensor rotor need to be replaced also. If it's the rear sensor rotor, the rear drive shaft must be removed in order to replace the rotor, which obviously is more labor time. That being said, it's almost always the sensor that needs to be replaced (not both). I would be questioning the service department as to why they think both need to be replaced. Do they see DTCs indicating both speed sensors are bad?

There are wheel speed sensors on eBay for a fraction of the cost of an OEM sensor but that only is a benefit if you replace it yourself. A shop will insist on using new OEM parts, which drives the cost up. Sensor replacement is simple. There's only one bolt that needs to be removed to replace the sensor and the sensor is easily accessible. See diagram below:

Organism Font Art Slope Line art

I can't see how it would take more than one hour to replace a rear wheel speed sensor, if that.

IMHO, the service department is gouging you for unnecessary parts and labor unless they can somehow justify the replacement of both sensors. The $420 cost for one sensor is ridiculous. You can buy OEM sensors for your Q50 new for about $300 from other Infiniti dealerships on eBay.

$70/hour labor rate? Infiniti dealerships likely double that or more.

Reactions: SqueakyRumble69

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have never seen a post here where both wheel speed sensors (front or rear) failed at the same time. This is where having your own OBDII scan tool can help you determine what needs to be done or more importantly, what doesn't need to be done.

As far as the cost to repair, it would depend on if it's just the wheel speed sensor that needs to be replaced or does the sensor rotor need to be replaced also.
Thanks!! They're not replacing any rotor, just the sensor. Both part numbers are for the rear. Are you saying it's uncommon to replace both rear sensors or that it's uncommon to replace front and rear?

As for the labor, thank you to you and JD305 for letting me know the labor rates you've experienced. Based on that it seems like they're probably only charging me for one hour, which is acceptable. I can't haggle them on their actual rate.

I did speak to the shop and asked for price matching to parts.infinitiusa.com. Waiting to hear back.

Administrator
Newport, Oregon
Thanks!! They're not replacing any rotor, just the sensor. Both part numbers are for the rear. Are you saying it's uncommon to replace both rear sensors or that it's uncommon to replace front and rear?

As for the labor, thank you to you and JD305 for letting me know the labor rates you've experienced. Based on that it seems like they're probably only charging me for one hour, which is acceptable. I can't haggle them on their actual rate.

I did speak to the shop and asked for price matching to parts.infinitiusa.com. Waiting to hear back.
It's unheard of on this forum that two wheel speed sensors on the front or rear or a combination of a front and rear sensor failed at the same time. I'd be asking why both sensors.

Reactions: SqueakyRumble69
1 - 10 of 10 Posts