Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

2014 Infiniti Q50 Earns NHTSA Five-Star Honor

4K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  JayG35 
#1 ·
#6 ·
If the subframe is similar to the G35/G37 it's no surprise. RWD cars with longitudinal engines are safer by design thanks to a long hoodline with plenty of stuff to crush between the bumper and the passenger cabin.

I believe the G35 I used to own was also a 5 star frontal collision and 4 star side collision car.

#13 · (Edited)
The Q50 hasn't been tested by the IIHS yet. When it does, I expect it to do well in small overlap. The G37 was one of the few cars in its class that didn't wet the bed in that new test. Also, the Altima and Maxima did well in the small-overlap. Those cars aren't exactly chopped liver sturcturally, and the G and Q50 are stiffer and stronger still.

#14 ·
I have to say I am glad to hear the news. Not from an insurance point, but as a Father who must travel the blasted lands of rush hour traffic through the second worst highway in Pennsylvania with a toddler. Twice, in less than two miles tonight, we were almost involved in serious accidents. First was a tractor trailer that nearly crushed us between himself and a concrete barrier after deciding he wanted to occupy the same space... at the same time... that I was in. Clearly not a person who has ever had a physics class. The second was a slack jawed mouth breather in a Chrysler 200 with West Virginia tags that decided to cross over two lanes of traffic with no signals in order to make the MILE FREAKING LONG EXIT RAMP at the last possible second... a bonerific move that set off my front brake assist due to the fact that this lead paint eating dunder head went from 30' at my 10 o'clock to less than 5 feet at my 12 in a span of about 2 seconds.

It took considerable restraint not to fire off a string of expletives at these mental midgets because of "Princess Polly Parrot" in the car seat. The fact that it takes nearly 40 minutes to go 11 miles is one of the many reasons why I am happy to have this safe and very comfortable Q.

Oh, and the butt toaster is extremely nice when it's 20ºF outside.

#17 · (Edited)
What the heck is wrong with Toyota and cutting corners on crash performance lately? It's completely alien for them to have models de-recommended by Consumer Reports, and for crash test results of all things.

Nissan/Infiniti had some really poor performances in the late 90s, but they've improved to Mercedes/Volvo level in the past decade. That's really nice, because if it weren't for my fear of dying instantly in a moderate collision, I would never have gotten rid of my '95 Maxima. That thing was purring like a kitten at 175,000 miles.

EDIT: the 2014 (new) IS did well in this NHTSA test, also getting a 5 star overall rating. So it probably won't be a small overlap disaster like the outgoing model. We'll see...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.