Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fly-by-wire systems are the sort of thing we associate with aircraft and space shuttles, but they’re now moving into the automotive world. This week at a press conference at the 2013 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS), Infiniti unveiled its Q50 luxury sports sedan. Based on the Infiniti Essence concept, this is the first production car to feature drive-by-wire steering instead of conventional mechanical and hydraulic linkages.
the full article here: 2014 Infiniti Q50 sedan features drive-by-wire steering

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I really am going to have to reserve my judgement for when I drive one. Drive by wire seems scary to me. I don't like how there is no steering rack. What happens when your battery dies? What about electrical problems? Why are they electricfying everything? I was pretty dissapointed when steering went from hydraulic to electric. Even more sad when throttle control went from wire to electric. Now steering is going to be fully electric with no steering column?

What is next? Manual transmission dogbox that are electrically controlled?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I really am going to have to reserve my judgement for when I drive one. Drive by wire seems scary to me. I don't like how there is no steering rack. What happens when your battery dies? What about electrical problems? Why are they electricfying everything? I was pretty dissapointed when steering went from hydraulic to electric. Even more sad when throttle control went from wire to electric. Now steering is going to be fully electric with no steering column?

What is next? Manual transmission dogbox that are electrically controlled?
I totally agree ! THey should have stopped their **** improvements after this gem

Seriously though, it is intimidating to know that if computer glitches you might be toast.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I do take some comfort in knowing that this system has what looks like a couple of failsafes built in. It looks like there are two backup controllers plus the mechanical clutch that establishes a physical connection between the steering wheel and the rack if it is needed. There is always the possibility that something screwy could happen but I feel better than when I first heard about this type of steering system. I was concerned when I got my first throttle-by-wire vehicle but that quickly faded. I expect it will be the same with this.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I don't see the advantage of this over a regular electric steering system. Why did they do it?
The electric systems work off the same principal as the hydraulic systems. They provide assistance in turning a mechanical linkage. The system Nissan has developed makes the mechanical linkage between the steering wheel and the rack irrelevant except in the case of a catastrophic failure. They claim that this paves the way for advanced driver assistance features such as the ability to take evasive action in order to avoid a collision. Take a look at the info here: Nissan's Steer-by-Wire System Brings Us Closer to Autonomous Cars | Autopia | Wired.com

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I've never been fond of systems that stiffen the system at higher speeds and loosen them at lower speeds. I like the steering wheel to have a constant resistance. I guess I'm just old school.
I really hope thats not what the Infiniti has in mind. I test drove a friend's Audi RS4 and it had that feature and i absolutely hated it. It gets annoying and takes the fun out of driving. This would be a hated feature for those who really want to drive and feel out the car.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Unfortunately most new cars are this way. That is what electric power steering systems are for nowadays. Only old electric power steering systems and of course hydraulic systems have a constant resistance. Not something I like but something we will have to live with and get use to and eventually maybe like.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Considering that electric systems have been deemed inferior to hydraulic systems almost universally in terms of feel and this system seems one step further away, I am very skeptical about this system. I hope I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Considering that electric systems have been deemed inferior to hydraulic systems almost universally in terms of feel and this system seems one step further away, I am very skeptical about this system. I hope I am wrong.
I doubt you are wrong. One of the major "features" of this system is the fact that it does isolate the driver from the road somewhat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not always. The steering system in my RX8 is electric and it's widely regarded as being excellent. It is the exception to the rule though.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Cars like the RX8 and many other sports cars with great electric steering systems are great within the electric steering category. A hydraulic system still offers a different kind of feedback that can be appreciated from a performance drivers feel perspective.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cars like the RX8 and many other sports cars with great electric steering systems are great within the electric steering category. A hydraulic system still offers a different kind of feedback that can be appreciated from a performance drivers feel perspective.

In addition, this new system seems another layer removed from even electric steering.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really hope thats not what the Infiniti has in mind. I test drove a friend's Audi RS4 and it had that feature and i absolutely hated it. It gets annoying and takes the fun out of driving. This would be a hated feature for those who really want to drive and feel out the car.
Yes! I don't know if it's just the Audi's implementation of it, but it took me a long time to get used to my S4's steering wheel fighting me when I accelerate into a turn.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.