Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The United State market has been crowded with vehicles using manual-transmission for several years. Now, Infinity with its new Q50 has really killed the six-speed stick in sports sedan. The Infiniti Q50 Sedan will be display on the dealers in this summer in North America.

How many of you guys does this affect?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
The United State market has been crowded with vehicles using manual-transmission for several years.
I wouldn't say that the US market has been crowded, at least not by Infiniti. I saw somewhere that less than 5% of all G37 sedans are manuals. But when a car aims to be for more performance oriented driving and the fact that its not faster to shift gears yourself anymore, the market for manuals gets even smaller. If there was more of a demand for the 6mt then they would offer it. This day in age manuals are driven more by enthusiasts rather than for performance.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
In the 5 years I have been selling Inifniti's I sold maybee two 6 speed G37 sedans. (and I sold over 120 new cars last couple of years). The coupe we do sell alot more in 6 speed (maybee 10 a year total for the dealer).
The problem in NJ is that people want (need) AWD and you can not get the 6 speed in AWD. I would like to know if anyone that works at a dealer in the south (where it does not snow ) how there sales of 6 speed on the sedan are. We currently have 2 6 speed sedans (one on the showroom floor) and it has been here for months. You need the one person that wants 6 speed and does not care for the AWD and those people are becomming harder to come by as people get older. My parents learned to drive on manual trans but not me. I had to learn when I started selling cars and there are still some salemen who ask me to move a car because it is manual. The generation that learned to drive on stick are getting old and no one new is bothering to learn to drive stick. Most people nowadays think it is a hassel with traffic and all.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I know that my Infiniti dealership doesn't even carry very many if at all, of the rwd sedans. I wanted to get a 6mt, but there weren't any near me when I was looking to buy, plus if I did buy a 6mt I would want it to be my weekend car and not a daily driver, I cant stand to drive manual in traffic.

I kind of wish that more people knew how to drive manual. I feel like they would have a better understanding of how a car works, other than turning it on and putting it in drive. I know that I had to learn from my friends dad a couple of days before my friend and I drove from FL to NC. I'm definitely glad I did learn.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I've noticed Infiniti dealerships rarely carry the 6 speeds. Even the coupes.. Looking for a used 6MT coupe is kind of hard. Most people are too lazy nowadays.

·
Registered
6 Posts
With the manual not available in AWD it wasn't even an option for me. I'd be surprised though if they omit it from the Q60 as it won't be considered a serious contender without one. I get the impression that many won't consider manuals now if it means having to take their mitts off their electronic distractions to shift.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
what is not to be serious about?

everytime I hear people who love cars and would want a manual but its because they don't want to deal with traffic with a manual that they dont

that is laziness to me.

if you don't want a manual that is fine. get the auto. but I don't think not wanting to deal with traffic is a good enough reason to not get manual.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts

everytime I hear people who love cars and would want a manual but its because they don't want to deal with traffic with a manual that they dont

that is laziness to me.

if you don't want a manual that is fine. get the auto. but I don't think not wanting to deal with traffic is a good enough reason to not get manual.
Yes, to some it may be a laziness factor that keeps them from getting a manual, I can see that, but for others its more of a practicality issue. Personally I don't want to drive a manual in heavy traffic, its just a personal preference, not laziness.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts

that is laziness to me.

It's not laziness. :(

It sounds like you trying to be high and mighty and putting people down and calling them names for not sharing the same views as you do. Not cool, man. You're not helping the stereotype of those kinds of enthusiasts that look down on automatics. :p

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
That's not how I'm trying to put it.

I just think that people who want manuals and say they don't want to deal with traffic are just giving excuses.

I don't think manual is better than auto.

I would get the automatic because I think it is the better choice, not because I don't want to deal with traffic with a manual.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I think people who buy autos do so because either 1)they don't know how to drive manual and 2) more convenient for daily use in rush hour traffic.

Autos are easier and are more practical as a daily driver. Otherwise, manual is the superior choice IMO. Whether this makes me lazy or not, perhaps to some gearheads they would say yes. Personally, I just think it's the smarter choice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Automatic can be nice but if you really want to feel more connected to the car for a more engaging driving experience, manual is probably it.

I have driven a manual in rush hour traffic and I really don't mind it, some people absolutely HATE it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think people who buy autos do so because either 1)they don't know how to drive manual and 2) more convenient for daily use in rush hour traffic.

Autos are easier and are more practical as a daily driver. Otherwise, manual is the superior choice IMO. Whether this makes me lazy or not, perhaps to some gearheads they would say yes. Personally, I just think it's the smarter choice.
I don't think that makes you lazy. Take me for example. I own a 6 speed G37 right now. I love it.. But I think I will be getting an automatic Q50.

I'm looking for something that is more practical for everyday city driving. Something my parents can use when they need it and something my hubby can drive (he doesn't know how to drive manual :p)

I have no problem driving manual in traffic. I've gotten use to it.. So I guess I understand why a manual driver might find traffic as a lazy excuse from non manual drivers.

I think practicality is where automatic wins. :cool:

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I tend to find ppl on forums favor the manual car, but it doesn't really translate to the real world where the large majority drive autos. Especially here in North America.

If manual lovers want car manufacturers to continue making manual cars, we better start buying more manuals and/or teaching others to learn, otherwise it will become a lost art.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Infiniti said that the Q50 will not have a manual transmission but the Q60 will (the coupe version), but I bet anything that if enough people write in and ask for it then they may reconsider.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
If anything is gonna stop Infiniti from making a lot of sales its gonna have to be this one. Just like the Lexus IS350 if they would have made a manual transmission available they would have gotten more sales.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts