1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Nice! Thanks for sharing this!

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I like that guy, pretty funny and honest, but why he picks the ISF after it losing the 0-60, 1/4 mile, plowing understeer in hard turns, etc. after driving the Q50 is a mystery. He never really explains it to my satisfaction, particularly after dogging the headlights and design.

I guess some people just love a great interior regardless of everything else. Also, it seems the runflats are hurting the Q50 yet again. They really should have only forced them on the Hybrid models.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
I like that guy, pretty funny and honest, but why he picks the ISF after it losing the 0-60, 1/4 mile, plowing understeer in hard turns, etc. after driving the Q50 is a mystery. He never really explains it to my satisfaction, particularly after dogging the headlights and design.
Haha! Thought the same thing as well! I thought it was just me and I missed something!

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
I didn't really take away that the car under performed compared to lexus. Actually, by the numbers along, it performed better in the 0-60, braking, and did slightly better in the figure 8 pulling the same speed at 26.3 mph with a tenth more in gforce at 0.71g.

The steering feel is where the IS seemed to have a higher praise vs the Q, but could that review be different w/o the DAS?

This review leads me to believe it's a preference choice between the two. I'll choose the Q...60 that is, in about 2 more years.

Reactions: Latrant

·
Registered
8 Posts
This guy is awesome.
But, I don't live on a dragstrip/figure8 nor do I drive curvy roads for fun.I drive to work and to the liquor store 90% of time. I just want a comfy ride and to be able to do an interstate merge at will. I'll have to check them both out (along with the MB E350) then decide.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well, if they would take those RFT's off and put on real tires, then maybe it would do better yet.

Not to mention it's all subjective. I drove the IS350 Fsport but it was too confining and small for what I needed/liked.

Is it funny that most car reviews is all about "how fast the car is" and the fastest usually wins but that hasn't been the case for the Q50 yet. Everyone is killing the car because of the steering. Like the guy said, don't tell me and you won't notice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
man, it really feels like the Q50 is taking it up the a** on professional reviews.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Well, if they would take those RFT's off and put on real tires, then maybe it would do better yet.

Not to mention it's all subjective. I drove the IS350 Fsport but it was too confining and small for what I needed/liked.

Is it funny that most car reviews is all about "how fast the car is" and the fastest usually wins but that hasn't been the case for the Q50 yet. Everyone is killing the car because of the steering. Like the guy said, don't tell me and you won't notice.
THIS is what boggles me... if it's that unnoticeable, why rag on it. That to me signifies they did a good job of tuning it. And the fact that he complained about the feedback he was feeling in the steering wheel and the dashboard wasn't shaking... that sounds like good NVH tuning to me. And I have never heard body roll as something that is positive, as he mentioned in the IS. "The body roll is good, and it lets me know I'm turning." WHA!?!?!?!

From the looks of it, it looked like he was having more fun in the Q50.

·
Registered
432 Posts
man, it really feels like the Q50 is taking it up the a** on professional reviews.
Yep, for two reasons, #1 Crappy tires. Many might think it isn't but those RFT's are extremely harsh and thump over bumps. You can't blame the suspension, it is the tires. #2, they are focused on the Drive by Wire steering. I think if these reviewers weren't told, they won't have a preconceived notion, they would just make their true feelings about the steering feel. Personally, I think it's pretty darn good. I've driven cars that are better and many more that are worse.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Complaining about the controls was stupid, it's like he never noticed the voice control or steering wheel controls.

Cars have gotten dinged for having too many buttons and not enough buttons. I think Infiniti compromised intelligently here and many reviewers have noticed that.
Did anyone noticed that he never mentioned any issues with the Lexus "joy stick" and how many people complain about it? He didn't because he never talked about it. Note to all reviewers. Compare apples to apples. If you're going discuss your thoughts on the Intouch and buttons vs touch screen, then you need to discuss the Lexus screen and joystick.

But I like the guys reviews for the most part.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I didn't hear him rant much on it only that he didn't like it but nothing in-depth about it. Certainly not to the level he did on the Intouch.
Well he was not testing infotainment systems. Otherwise he would find many more things to complain about in both Lexus and Infiniti.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Yep, for two reasons, #1 Crappy tires. Many might think it isn't but those RFT's are extremely harsh and thump over bumps. You can't blame the suspension, it is the tires. #2, they are focused on the Drive by Wire steering. I think if these reviewers weren't told, they won't have a preconceived notion, they would just make their true feelings about the steering feel. Personally, I think it's pretty darn good. I've driven cars that are better and many more that are worse.
I drove the Q50S with and without the DAS. The conventional hydraulic steering felt way better! More natural turn in, real steering feedback. The only aspect of the DAS that I liked was the complete lack of vibrations at highway speeds. This could be more relaxing on long straight line trips. You need to drive them back to back to appreciate the goodness of the conventional steering. The IS350 steering felt better than both, The 328I's was as bad as the Q50S with the DAS.

The run flats are a real letdown, hard riding and noisy at highway speeds.

For me the ideal Q50 would be the Q50S with hydraulic steering and Michelin
Super Sports.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
I drove the Q50S with and without the DAS. The conventional hydraulic steering felt way better! More natural turn in, real steering feedback. The only aspect of the DAS that I liked was the complete lack of vibrations at highway speeds. This could be more relaxing on long straight line trips. You need to drive them back to back to appreciate the goodness of the conventional steering. The IS350 steering felt better than both, The 328I's was as bad as the Q50S with the DAS.

The run flats are a real letdown, hard riding and noisy at highway speeds.

For me the ideal Q50 would be the Q50S with hydraulic steering and Michelin
Super Sports.
Short test drives with DAS and a 45 minute ride with normal hydraulic and I much prefer the normal steering. My first experience with the DAS was not good at all. I also like the reduced road imperfection feeling but that also means reduced road feel (or artificial road feel). The hydraulic steering just feels much more normal. Getting the DAS though since I'm going loaded so I'm sure I will get used to it. After trying a bunch of combos on test drives std/std ended up being the only way I felt comfortable driving for any period of time.

I also think the complaint about the controls was a bit confusing. The options for buttons, dial and touch may seem like much at first but I'm pretty sure he was wrong about the dial only adjusting the map zoom. Duh. . .

I also disagree with him about the Lexus mouse though. Odd at first but a cool and functional part of that system. The rest of the Lexus system stinks though.

Reactions: Frederico100
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.