Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm only sort of in the market for a Q50, meaning I could buy a 2014 now (I think opting for the hybrid), or I could wait until MY 2015.

I understand the first new model year for a vehicle that there are usually shortcomings that get fixed.

For a vehicle this sophisticated, and from forum posts I've read, there are some issues; DAS, Intouch, and telematics being but three.

I guess my question is: will Infiniti eventually fix the problems in 2014, or should I wait? I'm sort of concerned about the telematics ceasing to operate after 2016. I'm guessing the 2015s will load a new cel radio suite, but I'm unsure how they'll figure out 2014s.

The board's advice is greatly appreciated. TIA.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'm only sort of in the market for a Q50, meaning I could buy a 2014 now (I think opting for the hybrid), or I could wait until MY 2015.

I understand the first new model year for a vehicle that there are usually shortcomings that get fixed.

For a vehicle this sophisticated, and from forum posts I've read, there are some issues; DAS, Intouch, and telematics being but three.

I guess my question is: will Infiniti eventually fix the problems in 2014, or should I wait? I'm sort of concerned about the telematics ceasing to operate after 2016. I'm guessing the 2015s will load a new cel radio suite, but I'm unsure how they'll figure out 2014s.

The board's advice is greatly appreciated. TIA.
I thought of making the perfect response, but...

A lot of disappointed people have been left standing on the street corner waiting for the bus marked Perfection.
Donald Kennedy

Have no fear of perfection – you’ll never reach it.
Salvador Dali

The maxim ‘Nothing but perfection’ may be spelled ‘Paralysis’.
Winston Churchill

·
Registered
309 Posts
/thread

Historically the majority of the first year concerns are addressed by the second half of the first year run. The '15 will probably have a few small improvements (I would hope for at minimum increased inTouch boot speed, but I have NO proof of that).

As far as DAS fears go, there will be the occasional scary sounding thread with a story. Not to marginalize the severity of these problems but if members like Druhoops keep testing the limits of the system within a few years we will all have a much better functional understanding of this very interesting system and know exactly what to do if something goes wrong (which can happen in non electric systems as well).

Telematics service availability and support worries are valid as right now we do not know what they will do when 2G data support ends. I have been wondering what the manufacturers would do about this, especially since owners are using a paid subscription services. I am sure if you are still subscribing to the paid Infiniti services they will offer a solution to keep you. Since trucking fleets and commercial vehicles worldwide use telematics data for logistics, that is not going to change and a stable and relatively inexpensive option is required.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

There is always going to be something better on the market, and always waiting will be the best option. It comes down to, do you want to wait 6 months for the 2015 model, if it shows up then, or could you be driving an all around good car now?

In terms of scary moments, there will always be those in any car, and always "something" that could go wrong. My 2008 Tahoe Hybrid, which I drove for 110,000 miles before the Q50, had a big flaw, namely, it would kick in to autostop (hybrid) and would lose all power. The power steering would fail, the power assisted brakes would fail, there would be no throttle response, and then all of a sudden BAM, it would engage and it felt like you were hit from the rear as the power put the transmission back in to service. I had it in the shop 5 times before they figured out the issue, a control module. It would only happen at less than 25 MPH luckily, because over 25 MPH the gas motor was running. And it was random when it would happen. It was the first model year for the vehicle, and I know it carried over in a few 2009's as well. They changed the connector, harness, and model and with that upgrade it didn't cause issues, and it was a mid-year change, and that is what they swapped on mine finally.

So, any vehicle can have failures, you could end up getting a lemon for even the best made vehicle. You need to base your thoughts on the overall vehicle, will it serve it's purpose with you, will it meet all your needs, do you WANT the vehicle? If it was a month out before a new model year, I would say "wait and see", and then I would still end up negotiating a deal on the 2014 hold over model to get a price break if it wasn't a huge upgrade, which most likely it won't be.

Heck I went to buy a hold over 2013 G37x, and came home with the Q50 because of all the features it had compared to the G. Features outweighed the price savings.

If you want it, get the Q50, there will always be something new, an updated feature, or something better coming out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All great responses. The Q is definitely an excellent vehicle that has many convenient, sophisticated features. Consequently, it's not a question of if, but when.

I guess my biggest reservation is the telematics-- while I hardly think they'll let customers flounder only two-three years after purchase, the uncertainty of not knowing what Infiniti will do is a little disturbing.

As for DAS, I imagine any shortcomings found can be mitigated via firmware update or TSB or whatever mechanism, it being a potential safety issue.

I guess one last thing I haven't mentioned yet is the status of Intouch Apps-- not owning a Q, are apps available yet? Although it's true something better is always around the corner, I want to future-proof my purchase.

Again, thanks for all the responses. I'm still vacillating-- the spouse wants to pick up a new QX80 at the same time, so finding one she likes and simultaneously finding a Q50 I like may prove interesting.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
My advice if you're concerned would be to lease the car. That way you're gambling with Infiniti's money instead of your own when it comes to depreciation and other issues. At the end of the lease, you can decide if you want to buy the car, lease a new one, or go a different direction.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
All great responses. The Q is definitely an excellent vehicle that has many convenient, sophisticated features. Consequently, it's not a question of if, but when.

I guess my biggest reservation is the telematics-- while I hardly think they'll let customers flounder only two-three years after purchase, the uncertainty of not knowing what Infiniti will do is a little disturbing.

As for DAS, I imagine any shortcomings found can be mitigated via firmware update or TSB or whatever mechanism, it being a potential safety issue.

I guess one last thing I haven't mentioned yet is the status of Intouch Apps-- not owning a Q, are apps available yet? Although it's true something better is always around the corner, I want to future-proof my purchase.

Again, thanks for all the responses. I'm still vacillating-- the spouse wants to pick up a new QX80 at the same time, so finding one she likes and simultaneously finding a Q50 I like may prove interesting.
I think I read somewhere that they will use the connection to your mobile phone and make calls through it for the telematics once they turn off the 2g towers they piggyback on now. If that is the case, it's future proofed... Doesn't help if you don't have your mobile on you, but it would eliminate the need for a limited connection like 2G currently is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.