Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
2014 Q50 Hybrid
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, long time lurker, kind of at my wits end here, desperate for someone to have some insight, or tell me to just write this car off.

Second owner, bought it at 22k miles, now at 103k. Had 0 problems with the car everything has worked great, have done all scheduled maintenance. The battery in the trunk was replaced 4 months ago. 2 weeks back I get a chassis control error and an AWD system error, I pull the code and it says U1001, Controller Area network line malfunction. Error codes will go away after turning car on/off twice.

This error is intermittent and comes and goes, sometimes I can drive it a half hour no issues, sometimes it comes on immediately after moving the car. Symptoms include intermittently the blinkers, headlights, wipers, and start button not working, the TPMS sensor disappearing and reappearing, the dash dimming as if its gotten dark out, and the temperature settings switching from Fahrenheit to Celsius.

That's above my capabilities, I head to my local dealer, recently moved, so I don't know these folks like back home. I drop it off and the call me next day saying they can't work on it, there's too much after market stuff on my car.

My car is bone stock
, the only thing I had added was a professionally installed dash cam and a battery manager. They cited those as needing to be removed before they would even try to look into the problem, and told me to get my car out of their shop. Its been on there 5 years, never been a problem, whatever, sucks to be me.

Oh and they also cited my EZ pass being installed too as an aftermarket accessory. For those unfamiliar that's the toll transponder that velcroes to the windshield. Unreal.

So I am back to square one, no idea where to take it or how to fix it.

Has anyone run into similar issues? I have searched the forum with no answers, only a couple instances of this error code without a resolution.

Should I just give up and try to unload this car to a dealer?

Any input sincerely appreciated, its really starting to depress me and no where I go seems to want to help due to my super aftermarket changes.

· Premium Member
904 Posts
Can you check the post terminals to see if there fully tightened and not loose in anyway. Also I hope you installed a well decent battery and not something cheap as the hybrids can be somewhat picky at times with 12V battery. For example in my Hybrid I have 12V lithium ion battery installed and not a lead acid or agm. Now I do reccommend agm batteries for Hybrids as there much cheaper and hold better charges. But I would check the battery first to see if the connections are good and tight. Also make sure that the service connector for the hybrid battery is properly tight and connected and seated.
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

· Registered
2014 Q50 Hybrid
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you check the post terminals to see if there fully tightened and not loose in anyway. Also I hope you installed a well decent battery and not something cheap as the hybrids can be somewhat picky at times with 12V battery. For example in my Hybrid I have 12V lithium ion battery installed and not a lead acid or agm. Now I do reccommend agm batteries for Hybrids as there much cheaper and hold better charges. But I would check the battery first to see if the connections are good and tight. Also make sure that the service connector for the hybrid battery is properly tight and connected and seated. View attachment 113826
I will check that.

The battery is an OEM replacement from an infiniti dealer, whatever the expensive 500ish dollar one that they said it needed is what they put in it.

You are talking the terminals for it in the trunk right? Not where it connects in the engine bay?

Thanks so much for your reply.

· Premium Member
904 Posts
I will check that.

The battery is an OEM replacement from an infiniti dealer, whatever the expensive 500ish dollar one that they said it needed is what they put in it.

You are talking the terminals for it in the trunk right? Not where it connects in the engine bay?

Thanks so much for your reply.
Yessir the terminals in the trunk correct. Thats good to know that the battery is from Infiniti as we can rule that out. Now It can be the Service Connector as well which if you go into your trunk and pull back the flap cover, you will see the service connector for the hybrid battery. Here are some pics I took from my hybrid so they can better help you.

Fluid Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle door Gas

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

· Premium Member
904 Posts
I think you might have to go to a Nissan dealership if an infiniti dealership is not nearby to further determine what the code is U1001 is because they can see code on there diagnostic computer that they hookup to the obd2 port that a regular scanner cannot see.

· Registered
2014 Q50 Hybrid
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you might have to go to a Nissan dealership if an infiniti dealership is not nearby to further determine what the code is U1001 is because they can see code on there diagnostic computer that they hookup to the obd2 port that a regular scanner cannot see.
Makes sense. I think I’ll have to remove my dash cam as well so that nobody has any issues with that.

Never thought a dash cam would be such a suspect accessory.

Thanks so much for your insight, I reall

· Registered
11 Posts
Good luck, this is why i chickened out on a hybrid or will never buy a tesla or EV with out a warranty. Good ol gas car i can fix, electrical I have no idea what to do or where to even get parts. I think thats why there arent any third party repair shops except for Richs rebuild but he has ex tesla employees helping him.

EV are the future but costs need to come down as they feel like disposable cars once the warranty ends after 4 or 5 years

· Registered
2,702 Posts
I know you replaced your 12v battery, but is it possible that it is faulty? It can happen and may be worth having the battery load tested to verify. Or, just swap it and see.

· Registered
2,702 Posts
Disconnected and reconnected the battery, drove 20 minutes to another shop. No errors. confirmed the voltage was within acceptable values.

We’ll see what they say.
Batteries have to be load tested to confirm health. Measuring voltage with no load doesn't truly test the battery.

· Registered
2014 Q50 Hybrid
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Update: Just got my car back from a mom and pop shop near me.
They looked at all the wiring, and it turns out my car had a remote start on it I didn’t know about (bought it used in 2017) and they said that’s the only strange thing added to it that interacts with the communications lines. Said it was an unreliable brand and installed poorly and they suggested removing it.

Dash cam wiring goes directly to power in fuse box, couldn’t be related, battery was 100% fine.

They removed it, drove it, shut it off, drove it again. And then told me to come get it, drove it home 10 miles, stopped shut It off and drove it some more. No errors.

Not sure if this is 100% solved, but it seems pretty likely at this point.

They also ruled out the EZ pass;)

thanks for all the replies, will update in a month or so if all is still well, or sooner if it happens again.

really appreciate everybody’s expertise and suggestions. Hopefully this was just the $110 they charged me to remove the remote start and wire it all back together. Wound up $50 less than what the dealer wanted just to diagnose.

· Premium Member
904 Posts
Update: Just got my car back from a mom and pop shop near me.
They looked at all the wiring, and it turns out my car had a remote start on it I didn’t know about (bought it used in 2017) and they said that’s the only strange thing added to it that interacts with the communications lines. Said it was an unreliable brand and installed poorly and they suggested removing it.

Dash cam wiring goes directly to power in fuse box, couldn’t be related, battery was 100% fine.

They removed it, drove it, shut it off, drove it again. And then told me to come get it, drove it home 10 miles, stopped shut It off and drove it some more. No errors.

Not sure if this is 100% solved, but it seems pretty likely at this point.

They also ruled out the EZ pass;)

thanks for all the replies, will update in a month or so if all is still well, or sooner if it happens again.

really appreciate everybody’s expertise and suggestions. Hopefully this was just the $110 they charged me to remove the remote start and wire it all back together. Wound up $50 less than what the dealer wanted just to diagnose.
Perfect, as the code was pointing towards the right direction but we were all unaware of this having an aftermarket remote start feature. But good thing you went to this shop and hopefully got it figured out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts