Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have finally had the uninvited CEL on my 2014 Q50S Hybrid AWD. It started about a week ago. I was in school and returned to my car on a cold winter day in the evening. When I started my car, a bunch of lights came on including the front collision warning light, the brake warning light, and the direct response hybrid system warning light. The car started fine and I let the battery charge a little, but when I put it in drive, the car made a persistent cluttering noise as I barely hit the gas and the car would barely move. I put the car back in park and turned it off. I waited a few minutes before turning it back on and the car started as usual. This time, the direct response hybrid system warning light remained on and the brake warning light remained on but I was able to drive the car back home with no issues. As I got near my house, the CEL came on as well. I parked the car and disconnected the battery, hoping that it was just some electronic malfunction that would go away as I have seen posts about how winter weather screws up the electronics on the hybrid models. I drove the car again yesterday and the CEL is still on along with the direct response hybrid system warning light. I took the car to Autozone to have the code read and the only code I got was P2859 (Clutch A Pressure Disengagement Performance).

I thought maybe it has to do with the battery or the electric drivetrain because I have posted here about how there tends to be a jerk in my car as I near a stop with light to medium braking but that jerk never occurs if I brake hard to a complete stop. But now I am convinced there is something wrong with the transmission. My car is not under any warranty but I don't want to start throwing parts at my car until something works. I'm worried that I may have to swap out the transmission but that is also very expensive. I couldn't find anything related to P2859 for the Q50 Hybrid but have found some stuff on Nissan Sentras and Versas about the CVT transmission having issues. I understand that my particular model doesn't have a torque converter and it's not a CVT so I really can't figure out what I should do next.

If anyone has experienced anything similar, I would love to get some help. This car is my baby and even though I dislike the hybrid system on this car, I love the car.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Well first your car should be under warranty as the drive-train gets a 72 months or 70,000 miles so double check that, it's possible this was caused by a low charge level on your battery but I'd say
check your fluid level on the transmission as the 7-speed Infiniti uses is pretty dang reliable.

Turning off the battery likely won't due anything as those codes are typically stored long-term and need to be cleared by a tech, call the dealership and have it towed there after your
confirmed your still under warranty.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,510 Posts
The P2859 DTC is thrown when the transmission fails to properly disengage when coming to a stop. It could be a low transmission fluid level as BHC said. If not, you are probably looking at a clutch replacement.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
There are have been a number of threads the last couple years on here about all manner of issues lighting up the dash on a 2014-2015 hybrid. Almost all of them were a result of a bad 12v battery (not the hybrid battery). You have a 2014 model and if that battery hasn't been replaced yet, then it is due to be replaced and could very well be what is leading to the odd issues you are encountering.

All that aside, I would bring it to the dealership to get a proper diagnosis done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I had same problem with my 15 q50 awd all kinds of different clanking noises jerking and it just stopped running:( and currently sitting in my garage. Don’t know what to do, thinking maybe to drop transmission...

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Hi, I had same problem with my 15 q50 awd all kinds of different clanking noises jerking and it just stopped running:( and currently sitting in my garage. Don’t know what to do, thinking maybe to drop transmission...
Power-train warranty is 6 years for the 3.7L... why don't you bring it in?

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Thanks
I bought it used so no warranty for me
That doesn't make sense. The factory warranty follows the car, not the owner.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
That doesn't make sense. The factory warranty follows the car, not the owner.
Precisely as said above, this isn't like a small money purchase that you loose once you sell the car. The warranty
is similar to that of a house where once you transfer the title of ownership to the buyer they own that car
and anything attached to it which includes the warranty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the comments!

So I ended up taking the car to the dealership and they found two codes: P2859 and P0806. According to them, there is a small leak at the bottom of the bell housing, which means there is some leakage of fluid. They stated that the transmission fluid is very dark and burnt. My guess is that is has never been changed. I bought the car used and it is out of warranty due to the mileage. They told me I could "replace the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, and transmission" for $15,000. I asked the Service Advisor if it would be more suitable to try a transmission flush. She said that I am better off not doing it. I have heard theories about how you should not change the transmission fluid because the transmission gets accustomed to the dirty fluid and I may experience a jerky transmission if I do change the fluid. I am definitely not going to replace the transmission (unless I have to in which case I will be searching on eBay for a used transmission) or I can try a transmission flush and pray that it works. What do you guys think? They were nice enough to get rid of the CEL and the direct response hybrid system warning light.

When I saw the million lights pop up on my dash, I freaked out. But to answer a post above, the 12V battery was replaced under a recall last year. I think it was just because of it being so cold that day and I may experience that again as it has been quite chilly in Central VA today.

When they quoted me the $15,000, I literally laughed my ass off as I walked out of the dealership.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
OK, so why no warranty?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Thanks for all the comments!

So I ended up taking the car to the dealership and they found two codes: P2859 and P0806. According to them, there is a small leak at the bottom of the bell housing, which means there is some leakage of fluid. They stated that the transmission fluid is very dark and burnt. My guess is that is has never been changed. I bought the car used and it is out of warranty due to the mileage. They told me I could "replace the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, and transmission" for $15,000. I asked the Service Advisor if it would be more suitable to try a transmission flush. She said that I am better off not doing it. I have heard theories about how you should not change the transmission fluid because the transmission gets accustomed to the dirty fluid and I may experience a jerky transmission if I do change the fluid. I am definitely not going to replace the transmission (unless I have to in which case I will be searching on eBay for a used transmission) or I can try a transmission flush and pray that it works. What do you guys think? They were nice enough to get rid of the CEL and the direct response hybrid system warning light.

When I saw the million lights pop up on my dash, I freaked out. But to answer a post above, the 12V battery was replaced under a recall last year. I think it was just because of it being so cold that day and I may experience that again as it has been quite chilly in Central VA today.

When they quoted me the $15,000, I literally laughed my ass off as I walked out of the dealership.
Drain only, Never flush the system. It will likely kill your transmission given how you've described the transmission. How many miles are on your car??? Because your fluids shouldn' be in that bad of shape than unless it was contaminated due to a faulty seal somewhere.

The transmission is a closed system and designed to last the life of the car without any service or it's fluids replaced, most have no issues going 180-200K miles on those things without any issue. That said I'm part of the "Do a fluid change around 60-70K mile mark" as those fluids can and will breakdown over time.

OK, so why no warranty?
Out of warranty due to the mileage as he said, so I assume he was passed the 110,000 kilometres or 68-70K Miles mark.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've crossed the 100k mark. I have a long commute. I'm thinking the old fluid with the cold weather is making the fluid thick so it may be causing me problems. I'll look into draining the fluid and replacing it with new fluid. Any recommendations besides the Matic-S by Nissan?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I've crossed the 100k mark. I have a long commute. I'm thinking the old fluid with the cold weather is making the fluid thick so it may be causing me problems. I'll look into draining the fluid and replacing it with new fluid. Any recommendations besides the Matic-S by Nissan?
Ah that makes sense, it could very well be the cold weather and thicker fluid increasing pressure and squeezing it out past the seals even if it's not a
perfect fix if the car becomes driveable after that it would be $200 well spent. Then just drive it into the dirt after that.

If you do decide to swap out the transmission just remember to go to a 3rd party seller, plenty of them out there can be bought
for under $5000 and have lower mileage. Then it would just be labor to remove/replace either way you should come out at least
half of what Nissan is quoting you for this job.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah. Sad to see such a nice car have these issues. Won't be buying an Infiniti Hybrid anytime soon. Although I was able to get 9 qts of fluid from a local Nissan dealer for $75. Hopefully it fixes the issue or else I may look at transmissions on eBay. They seem to be going for around $1,000.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Amsoil ATL transmission fluid is compatible with Matic S.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/transmission-fluid/automatic/signature-series-fuel-efficient-synthetic-automatic-transmission-fluid/?code=ATLQT-EA

I paid the dealer to do a drain and fill x 2 as the car is still under warranty.

However next year I'll be putting in Amsoil ATL with a 3 x drain and fill once the warranty runs out.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I would do a 2 or 3 x drain and fill using the correct procedure. You may be just low on transmission fluid.

How does the dealer know if the clutch and flywheel needs to be replaced without pulling the transmission out?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I would do a 2 or 3 x drain and fill using the correct procedure. You may be just low on transmission fluid.

How does the dealer know if the clutch and flywheel needs to be replaced without pulling the transmission out?
If your transmission color is burnt and they see metallic bits in it they wouldn't even pull the transmission to know there was some serious damage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was thinking of doing a drain and fill. I'm worried if I do a full flush, I may end up having more problems like slippage etc.

This was the link I was looking at. I'm guessing the procedure is going to be the same in my car. I will see if I can do it next weekend.

Any other links relevant to the Hybrid will be much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts