Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys -

I am about to buy my first car upgrade and I love Infiniti. I want a Q50 but I do not know if I should invest the extra 5k or so in this crazy market for a 2018 Q50 Luxe or settle
for a 3.7L 2015 Q50. Can anyone chime in on the differences and if they are worth the investment. I just want to cruise nicely when I am driving and I want a luxury sports car.

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
1,368 Posts
Older versus newer, turbo versus naturally aspirated engine, 5k more or less – it's up to you! Maybe some more information on mileage, condition, exact equipment of both cars and price would be helpful.

If I were in the situation looking for a cruiser car I'd go with the 3.7...

·
Registered
2021 Q50 RedSport, ARK Cat-Back. HKS BOV, AMS LDP, Mishimoto Catch Can
711 Posts
I would go with the 2018 model, much more potential in terms of power and 2018 was a good year for the Q50, got the digital speedo, rear LED taillights, and rear diffuser in between the exhaust pipes. Send me the vins and I can pull window stickers, warranty work, and carfax for you. The NA 3.7 is a very strong motor but the gas mileage isnt the best

Reactions: Ocuriel

·
Registered
2021 Q50 RedSport, ARK Cat-Back. HKS BOV, AMS LDP, Mishimoto Catch Can
711 Posts
When comparing vehicles, you should give a bit more info as well, how many miles, condition of cars, colors, certified vs non certified etc. It's tough giving a fair answer without knowing about the cars in question.

·
Registered
737 Posts
i wouldnt trade a 14-15 for a newer Q50 unless it was a sport or red sport. all youre doing at the point is trading engines and a partial warranty. there are a few external differences but theyre trivial. sports (with actual sport brakes) and red sports are generally better equipped and have better resale value. after that, itll come down to the actual car in question. owner history and maintenance intervals matter.

·
Registered
2016 Infiniti Q50 Premium AWD (w/Bose & Nav)
635 Posts
It comes down to what you're going to do with the car. Both platforms can make healthy power, but they each have pros and cons. VQ platform is more established as far as modifications and reliable, but the VR30 is catching up quickly.

As far as the body itself, obviously 2018 > 2015. Tech in the 18 is better, and 15 had some infotainment reliability issues. Also, 2018 got a small refresh with different taillights and small details. I personally prefer my 2016 headlights, but I am jealous of the door cards on the 18+ BOSE tweeters. They look good.

From what I can tell, you just want a vehicle to drive and enjoy without modding. The 2018 is a better option for that and worth the 5k extra in most cases, IMO. You get a warranty, more powerful platform, and better tech (even if it's lacking compared to other makes).

·
Registered
635 Posts
Stillen supercharger on that 3.7 would be nice 🤔
Also a 10 grand or more investment, even though it would be sick.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,668 Posts
Assuming DIY install.
Can be done for $8k if you want the carb kit, but that doesn't put you much above a stock RS.
You want to really have some potential though Soho A2A kit, injectors/pump and tune put you at about $11,500 for similar to VR30 FBO tune performance.

·
Registered
737 Posts
It comes down to what you're going to do with the car. Both platforms can make healthy power, but they each have pros and cons. VQ platform is more established as far as modifications and reliable, but the VR30 is catching up quickly.

As far as the body itself, obviously 2018 > 2015. Tech in the 18 is better, and 15 had some infotainment reliability issues. Also, 2018 got a small refresh with different taillights and small details. I personally prefer my 2016 headlights, but I am jealous of the door cards on the 18+ BOSE tweeters. They look good.

From what I can tell, you just want a vehicle to drive and enjoy without modding. The 2018 is a better option for that and worth the 5k extra in most cases, IMO. You get a warranty, more powerful platform, and better tech (even if it's lacking compared to other makes).
bose upgrade happened in 2017. thats mostly why i picked a 17 vs 18-19. i liked the earlier front end better but wanted a better stock audio system cause im long through with upgrading audio. also, you have to pay close attention to 18+ sports because a LOOOOOOOOOT of them are fake sports, no 14" brakes. infiniti catered to the poors who wanted a sport bumper but couldnt afford the rest of the sport stuff.

·
Registered
635 Posts
bose upgrade happened in 2017. thats mostly why i picked a 17 vs 18-19. i liked the earlier front end better but wanted a better stock audio system cause im long through with upgrading audio. also, you have to pay close attention to 18+ sports because a LOOOOOOOOOT of them are fake sports, no 14" brakes. infiniti catered to the poors who wanted a sport bumper but couldnt afford the rest of the sport stuff.
BOSE upgrade was certainly available in 2016. It's a slightly different system but the same layout and options.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The change took place in 2017.

14-16 was the Bose Studio in Wheels. It has one less speaker, half the power, twice the disappointment, and didn't have the silver speaker grills on the door panel.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,857 Posts

14-16 was the Bose Studio in Wheels. It has one less speaker, half the power, twice the disappointment, and didn't have the silver speaker grills on the door panel.
To be accurate, the Bose Studio on Wheels system has 14 speakers, while the Bose Performance Series system (2017+) has 16 speakers.

Reactions: DeeCee and mapleDom

·
Registered
2018 Signature.
2,674 Posts
To be accurate, the Bose Studio on Wheels system has 14 speakers, while the Bose Performance Series system (2017+) has 16 speakers.
I had the Performance Series on my 17 SS. 16 speakers nice system, not like the one that's in the 18 Signature.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
15,857 Posts
I had the Performance Series on my 17 SS. 16 speakers nice system, not like the one that's in the 18 Signature.
What do you have in the '18?

·
Registered
635 Posts

I am perfectly happy with the BOSE system in my car. It sounds fantastic and the only upgrade I made was adding a 12 inch subwoofer since the only thing it lacked was bass. It certainly has enough power to stay loud on the interstate @ 80mph with all windows open. Also quality sounds fine to me.

·
Registered
2018 Signature.
2,674 Posts
What do you have in the '18?
I've got a mixed bag of a car, sport seats, 19" wheels non Bose system, I only see three each up front two in the back doors, none on the front dash, and I don't see any on the rear dash.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've got a mixed bag of a car, sport seats, non Bose system, I only see three each up front two in the back doors, none on the front dash, and I don't see any on the rear dash.
Honest question, why did you switch from the Red Sport to the Signature?

·
Registered
737 Posts
yep, i cant count. i was using the silly infographic and my eyes decided to quit working.

·
Registered
2018 Signature.
2,674 Posts
Honest question, why did you switch from the Red Sport to the Signature?
At the time I traded the RS for a Jaguar XE 35t, then to a Camry XSE, and back to my latest Q50.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts