Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and I recently picked up a 2015 CPO Q50S to replace my G37X in march. The car only had 9835 miles when I bought it. So far the experience has been terrible. Within a week of owning the car it had to go back to to the dealership because it had bad brakes, failed catalytic converters, and bunch of maintenance lights going off. The worst issue is a strange rattle from the engine compartment. The car is at the dealership as we speak for the third time concerning this issue. The Infiniti dealership that I bought it from can't seem to figure whats wrong with it. It's hard to describe the sound but imagine having a metallic like rattle in the engine bay. I also tried to attach a link to a video of it. Not sure if I did it right tho. Anyone experience this?

Q50 Rattle Noise

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,322 Posts
Sounds like something's loose underneath the car. Have you been underneath to check for a loose exhaust component or heat shield?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like something's loose underneath the car. Have you been underneath to check for a loose exhaust component or heat shield?
I looked underneath and everything was good. The dealership did the same thing. Original they thought it was the lower engine cover so they replaced it and the issue still remains. At this point they stated they are going to take the front end apart and look deeper to see whats causing it. This is last attempt at fixing it before looking into other options. Since buying the car in march it's spent about 60% of it time at the dealership. I've been driving loaners more than my actual car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hmmm. That is a weird sound. Sounds are a nightmare to try and actually tell where they're coming from in a video though. To me it definitely sounds like some sort of plastic piece loose in the engine compartment. My thoughts would be cooling fan heat shroud being loose, its a 2 piece shield, or the cooling fans themselves being bad and the blades are coming in contact with the shroud.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm. That is a weird sound. Sounds are a nightmare to try and actually tell where they're coming from in a video though. To me it definitely sounds like some sort of plastic piece loose in the engine compartment. My thoughts would be cooling fan heat shroud being loose, its a 2 piece shield, or the cooling fans themselves being bad and the blades are coming in contact with the shroud.
For some reason the dealership can't figure out where its coming from. It's so weird.

·
Premium Member
2016 Q50 Red Sport AWD. Fully loaded. Stock (for now..)
76 Posts
Sounds like it's only doing it at idle in neutral. Does it do it in gear while holding the brake at a stand still?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like it's only doing it at idle in neutral. Does it do it in gear while holding the brake at a stand still?
Yes it does. It also does it when i'm driving. I'll be driving down the street and it will randomly start making that sound for 15 to 30 seconds and then it'll stop. I hear that sound atleast twice a day regardless of whether I'm idling or moving.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Is it the AC compressor? Have they checked that? Maybe the torque converter?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it the AC compressor? Have they checked that? Maybe the torque converter?
It's been at the dealership since Thursday. They stated they are going to take the front end apart and try to diagnose and fix it. It just sucks because despite the issues I enjoy driving the car and I spend more time in loaners than my actual car. Right now I'm driving a 2019 QX60 which I absolutely hate.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
It's been at the dealership since Thursday. They stated they are going to take the front end apart and try to diagnose and fix it. It just sucks because despite the issues I enjoy driving the car and I spend more time in loaners than my actual car. Right now I'm driving a 2019 QX60 which I absolutely hate.
I feel your pain man. I bought my 2016 on April 15th and it was back in the shop 3 days later for the accessory belt issue. Took them 2 and a half weeks to fix it. They gave me a QX50 as a loaner. I didn't drive it much since I'm teleworking due to COVID-19 and I have another vehicle to drive. Look at the positive side. It will cost you absolutely nothing to repair whatever the issue is. Lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feel your pain man. I bought my 2016 on April 15th and it was back in the shop 3 days later for the accessory belt issue. Took them 2 and a half weeks to fix it. They gave me a QX50 as a loaner. I didn't drive it much since I'm teleworking due to COVID-19 and I have another vehicle to drive. Look at the positive side. It will cost you absolutely nothing to repair whatever the issue is. Lol
Lol. Very true. I'm so happy its under warranty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts