Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious as to what kind of performance upgrades would be best. This is my second Q50 but didn’t do anything to the first one. Don’t know if exhaust and intake would do much other than change the noise and add a few HP. Think programmer or something. Not really wanting to put turbos on it (i take that back, i do but....). LOL. Suggestions?

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
You're pretty limited as far as performance upgrades for the VQ37. A good exhaust will add a few horsepower but I'd skip the intake unless you want more sound as an aftermarket intake won't provide any appreciable horsepower. I'm not familiar with any chips for the car but there may be some out there. I believe Stillen has a supercharger kit for the VQ37 and IIRC it's about $8K plus installation. I don't think there is a turbo kit for the Q50 VQ37.

There are performance intake manifolds for this engine. Perhaps intakes, manifold, and complete exhaust system replacement could get you an additional 40-50 HP, but you're looking at around $4k to do that.

This is off the top of my head so there may be other options out there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
GTM used to make a twin turbo kit for the g37/Z. So far out of that loop now so not sure if it's still in production. Check out the g37 forums.

Scratch that ....I think GTM went under years ago. Go with the stillen supercharger kit if you go that route.
https://www.stillen.com/performance/superchargers-turbos/vehicle/2015-infiniti-q50.html

Uprev was the main tune for the g37 when I had it. They used to do "canned" tunes and then send in your data logs to dial it in. Don't do the tune till you done adding intakes, exhaust/headers spacers, etc. - Some of these from older models or the Z might still fit?
https://www.uprev.com/secure/uprev-standard.html

·
Registered
57 Posts
Curious as to what kind of performance upgrades would be best. This is my second Q50 but didn’t do anything to the first one. Don’t know if exhaust and intake would do much other than change the noise and add a few HP. Think programmer or something. Not really wanting to put turbos on it (i take that back, i do but....). LOL. Suggestions?
You have two routes with the 3.7, both will cost several thousand for gains.

Z1 400hp vq37 Kit: For about ~4k you get ~340whp

Stillen S/C Kit: For ~9k you get ~440whp

For Tunes, you have uprev or ecutek. The difference is negligible at this point, though ecutek allows for speed density/MAP tuning for high boost applications where uprev requires MAF. Both can now alter the TCU and VVEL, though ecutek had those first.

There are several turbo kits for the g37 that could be adapted over to a RWD model, but they wont fit on the AWD. I believe GTM's kit fit AWD, but they no longer exist.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
OP: Are you looking for power, handling or braking?

·
Registered
17 Posts
OP: Are you looking for power, handling or braking?
I don’t know about what the OP is wanting, but as a VQ owner myself, I’m wanting all three!
Power (even though parts are limited)
Handling (found some coilovers and wheels I like)
Braking (going to the BBK from the sport models)
Not wanting to force induce the motor since it’s my daily family sedan (two little ones), so N/A power is what I’m seeking.
Any suggestions, links or help is greatly appreciated.
P.S...I would upgrade to the VR model, but my trade in value is crap (trade-in plus money on top)

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I don’t know about what the OP is wanting, but as a VQ owner myself, I’m wanting all three!
Power (even though parts are limited)
Handling (found some coilovers and wheels I like)
Braking (going to the BBK from the sport models)
Not wanting to force induce the motor since it’s my daily family sedan (two little ones), so N/A power is what I’m seeking.
Any suggestions, links or help is greatly appreciated.
P.S...I would upgrade to the VR model, but my trade in value is crap (trade-in plus money on top)
If I had a 3.7, I would do quality coilovers, wheels/tires, sport brakes, and power intake, header, cat and exhaust. That is pretty much a bread and butter recipe for the NA.

Z1 has a modified upper intake manifold. With the above, the claim is around 400hp crank with a tune. Maybe 380+ without a tune. Check to see if you can the entire set of bolt-ons without a tune.

Here is a link to Z1 and their power package which is currently out of stock.
https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-products/z1-motorsports/vq37vhr-400hp-package-p-7223.html

Or, do your suspension and brakes and just drive the snot out of it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don’t have experience with this motor but I do have experience in trying to squeeze all the power you can out of an NA car. More than likely a quality full length set of headers will be the biggest power gain for you. And I suggest a ceramic coated set as well. Helps keep all the heat where it belongs and doesn’t bake things as much in the engine compartment. If you can get away with it, get rid of the cats until it’s time to smog.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you for the good info. I’ll contact Z1 to see if they are willing to make me a set of their headers and go from there. Still somewhat hesitant tho because I’m really tempted to just upgrade to the sport model and save the money toward that car.
Question:
Are there any benefits of having an air bagged suspension setup?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Air bags = looks and fun (instant Lower and raise)

Cheap coil overs = looks and adjustability

Quality coil overs = performance.

This is my take in short form. There are many little details involved when discussing suspension. Just keep this in mind, suspension geometry is #1 . Unless looks/ show is all you’re concerned with. Decide on an end goal, then research what direction you should take to get there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a performance chip from Racechip and I can feel the difference as far as power wise.
Plus it good because no modifications needed.
Just plug it in to the existing plugs and ready to go. Also it's easy to take off just disconnect the plug and back to original setting.
Especially when you're taking the car back to the dealership for scheduled maintenance.
The 2 upgrades are my filters.
I used the K&N filter that's good for 100,000 miles.
I think my MPG was 21.8 per gallons and now it sits at 23.2 MPG. With the prices on supreme gas, every gallons help.
Next project I would like to upgrade my brakes with the Powerstop street Warrior.
Complete set wit rotors for approximately $300 plus.
Good luck with your upgrades because there's a lot out there I guessed it all depends on every individual need.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
I have a performance chip from Racechip and I can feel the difference as far as power wise.
Plus it good because no modifications needed.
Just plug it in to the existing plugs and ready to go. Also it's easy to take off just disconnect the plug and back to original setting.
Especially when you're taking the car back to the dealership for scheduled maintenance.
The 2 upgrades are my filters.
I used the K&N filter that's good for 100,000 miles.
I think my MPG was 21.8 per gallons and now it sits at 23.2 MPG. With the prices on supreme gas, every gallons help.
Next project I would like to upgrade my brakes with the Powerstop street Warrior.
Complete set wit rotors for approximately $300 plus.
Good luck with your upgrades because there's a lot out there I guessed it all depends on every individual need.
Be sure to add to the turbo failure thread when they go.

·
Registered
6,022 Posts
I don't care for RaceChip's black box philosophy where you can't log data and you have no idea how much boost is being applied, just a knob setting. JB4 > RaceChip IMHO.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts