Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My dealer has a used 2015 Q50S 3.7 with only 5500k miles 31k and also a 2019 and 2020 Q50 red sport both around 13500 miles. 43k and 45k.
I’m planning to test drive both in a couple days. What would you recommended to look for? It will be my daily driver and will do some mods like wheel and tires, exhaust, chrome delete and intake. Planning on keeping this car for a long time. As for the 3.0t can you hear the turbo and exhaust? I heard the 3.7 sounds good. Thanks

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Hood
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire
Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Wheel
Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Tire
Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I'd personally go with the 2020 model. The 2015 Q50 only made less than 1k per year, tough to find out how often it was used or perhaps just left in a garage for a long time. For a ~5+ yr old vehicle, it might have been driven at an average of ~20 miles per week at best.

Reactions: SdeGat

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
5,379 Posts
The 2015 will have no warranty.

It might be nice to have the tried and true naturally aspirated 3.7 and not have to wonder how the previous owner treated the turbo 3.0.

Does the selling dealer have any maintenance records to show you for any of the three cars? The 2015 should have had 6 oil changes and 3 brake fluid flushes by now.

Make sure you get two key fobs.

Reactions: mapleDom

·
Premium Member
Allen, Texas
616 Posts
2020 model - ripe for modding w/o the 2021 MY headaches

·
Registered
2015 Infiniti Q50S AWD
104 Posts
I bought a 2015 cpo Q50S last year with 9800 miles and I've had a ton of mechanical issues with it. I'm assuming the car sat for a long time due it's extremely low mileage for an older car. That didn't cross my mind when I got it. I saw the low mileage and was roped in. I would say get the newer one. The 3.7 is a great motor and it sounds better than the 3.0 but with the newer car atleast you'll have the warranty and an option to extend it though Infiniti. People also like to mod the 3.0s so if that's your thing I'm sure you'll love the potential of the VR30.

Reactions: SdeGat

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
1,038 Posts
I'm echoing the other users and would go with the newer one...

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts
A 2015 with "5500k" miles? I'll assume that's not 5,500,000 miles but I'll also assume that's not 5,500 miles. 55,000 miles? $31,000 seems excessively high though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Check the carfax on the 2015. Different wheels may indicate it was wrecked and rebuilt. Check your crush points under the hood and on the trunk in case it was wrecked. A car built in a factory is very different than a car rebuilt at your local body shop. You'll notice some paint inconsistencies with the factory paint.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Check the carfax on the 2015. Different wheels may indicate it was wrecked and rebuilt. Check your crush points under the hood and on the trunk in case it was wrecked. A car built in a factory is very different than a car rebuilt at your local body shop. You'll notice some paint inconsistencies with the factory paint.
The wheels on the 2015 in OP’s pic are OEM Rays that were available as an option that model year.

Reactions: Lucky93 and JNR

·
Registered
201 Posts
That's 13k more than I paid for my 2014 with 21k miles. I know the market is wild right now, but that seems crazy high for a 2015. The Red Sport is going to be a ton more fun.

Reactions: JNR

·
Registered
46 Posts
The wheels on the 2015 in OP’s pic are OEM Rays that were available as an option that model year.
I had no idea. Aren't these similar to the maxima wheels or the exact same?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had no idea. Aren't these similar to the maxima wheels or the exact same?
They’re very similar to the Rays wheels the 370Z came equipped with, but not identical IIRC.

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
75 Posts
Are the 2019 and 2020 reliable? We’re there any issues?
The 2019-2020 3.0t has the VR30DDTT engine. Turbo replacements and shredded serpentine belts are well-documented (do a search). The earlier model years (2016-2017) seem to be the most problematic, but 2018+ are still vulnerable to those issues. I had my turbos replaced under warranty when I notified my dealer of the whistling noise under heavy acceleration. However, the car worked normally otherwise and I did not detect a loss of power. Replacing and aligning the serpentine belt every 20-30k miles appears to be a popular preventative maintenance strategy with the VR30 as well. If the car is under warranty, you drive normally most of the time, and you properly maintain the vehicle, then you shouldn’t have any worries with a 2019 or 2020.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Red Sport , Black
17 Posts
A 2015 with "5500k" miles? I'll assume that's not 5,500,000 miles but I'll also assume that's not 5,500 miles. 55,000 miles? $31,000 seems excessively high though.
Believe it or not, I see it all the time here in Florida. I managed high rises for 20+ years and we call them condo cars. They get used about three month's a year and there only driven to get groceries or the doctors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the imfo
The 2019-2020 3.0t has the VR30DDTT engine. Turbo replacements and shredded serpentine belts are well-documented (do a search). The earlier model years (2016-2017) seem to be the most problematic, but 2018+ are still vulnerable to those issues. I had my turbos replaced under warranty when I notified my dealer of the whistling noise under heavy acceleration. However, the car worked normally otherwise and I did not detect a loss of power. Replacing and aligning the serpentine belt every 20-30k miles appears to be a popular preventative maintenance strategy with the VR30 as well. If the car is under warranty, you drive normally most of the time, and you properly maintain the vehicle, then you shouldn’t have any worries with a 2019 or 2020.
Thanks for the info.. how much does it cost for maintenance?

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts
Believe it or not, I see it all the time here in Florida. I managed high rises for 20+ years and we call them condo cars. They get used about three month's a year and there only driven to get groceries or the doctors.
I suppose the 5,500 could be real but it certainly doesn't justify a price over $30,000 for a 6 year old car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for the imfo

Thanks for the info.. how much does it cost for maintenance?
Regular maintenance for the newer models will likely be no different in price than the 2015 will.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts