Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Q50S with 44,000 miles on it and have had a few issues recently the the dealer is not able to replicate/fix.

When the A/C is on at the lowest temp setting, 60, and I am at a stop the air coming from the vents isn’t as cold as when the car is moving. It’s a very noticeable increase in temperature. The “damp” smell comes from the vents also at idle, but temp cools down and smell disappears when the car is moving again. I never use the auto setting and always manual.

Second issue is the fan speed - while the A/C is on and at any fan speed the speed surges, or increases, on its own. The display doesn’t show that it has increased, but it’s always sureges and then the fan speed will reduce again on its own. Again, I don’t use the auto setting.

The A/C compressor was replaced the first time I took it in, but the problem has never been fixed. A bearing was replaced in the fan, but the problem with Fan speed remains the same.

A problem that has been fixed is the panic alarm activating when the doors were unlocked. The BCM was replaced and that issue has resolved.

The dealership states they cant replicate the A/C issues and it’s been back 4 separate times. Planning on taking it in again, but I’m certain I’ll have the same outcome.

Any insight would be helpful. I love the car, but these issues are enough to drive anyone crazy! Especially when it is 110 degrees where I live in the summer.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
I have a 2015 Q50S with 44,000 miles on it and have had a few issues recently the the dealer is not able to replicate/fix.

When the A/C is on at the lowest temp setting, 60, and I am at a stop the air coming from the vents isn’t as cold as when the car is moving. It’s a very noticeable increase in temperature. The “damp” smell comes from the vents also at idle, but temp cools down and smell disappears when the car is moving again. I never use the auto setting and always manual.

Second issue is the fan speed - while the A/C is on and at any fan speed the speed surges, or increases, on its own. The display doesn’t show that it has increased, but it’s always sureges and then the fan speed will reduce again on its own. Again, I don’t use the auto setting.

The A/C compressor was replaced the first time I took it in, but the problem has never been fixed. A bearing was replaced in the fan, but the problem with Fan speed remains the same.

A problem that has been fixed is the panic alarm activating when the doors were unlocked. The BCM was replaced and that issue has resolved.

The dealership states they cant replicate the A/C issues and it’s been back 4 separate times. Planning on taking it in again, but I’m certain I’ll have the same outcome.

Any insight would be helpful. I love the car, but these issues are enough to drive anyone crazy! Especially when it is 110 degrees where I live in the summer.

Thanks in advance.
Since someone else bumped this, I'm not sure if your problem has been fixed or not. I missed this when you originally posted.

I would imagine the actuators in the HVAC system are vacuum operated like most other cars and not electric (I'm guessing here as I don't know for sure). There is what is called a "blend door" which is a flap that mixes outside air with conditioned air (cooled or heated) to regulate the temperature of the air that reaches the cabin based on the temp settings you have made with the system controls. The position of this door is controlled by an actuator that uses vacuum from the engine to position the door/flap. If there is a defect in the actuator or the vacuum line running to it that causes a vacuum leak, the engine vacuum at idle is not strong enough to keep the door in the required position and you experience a change in the temperature of the air entering the cabin. Once you start moving again, the engine is at a higher RPM and creating more vacuum and the blend door returns to the position it should be in. These actuators (there are several as they are also used to alter the path of the air flow amongst vent outlets) can be tested with a handheld device that creates a vacuum to the actuator and determines it it holds vacuum or leaks. Any competent shop should be able to diagnose this.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
All of the air mix doors are motor operated. No vacuum is used.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
****...I spent a lot of time typing for no good reason.
Thanks for the clarification.
You had the best of intentions though!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi. I had the same problem. Friends advised to take the air conditioner. I didn't know what it could do. I called the aircon service to consult on this issue. (Their page https://www.socool.sg/ ). Guys said the aircons reduce the humidity. They have air filters that trap mold spores and dust. And in some models there is an antibacterial coating that enhances the effect. Once you remove the main problem with humidity, the mold will disappear within a few weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts