Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know roughly how many kms I should be getting out of the original oem front pads? I currently have 65,000km on the vehicle and the front pads were never changed....Its a little hard to see the front pad through the sport calipers but when I took off my wheel they seem to be about 30-50%...Does that sound right? I wouldnt think front pads last that long.

On the contrary the rear pads were replaced when I bought the vehicle at 44,000km as I know the rear pads wear much quicker then the front.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If you turn off the Active Trace Control, the rear pads will last longer. But 60-80K is typical for brake wear usage. All depends on your driving style as well. When in doubt, just change it. Thats the only thing that will save your life when you need to use it

Check your owners manual and see the recommended brake pad replacement interval if your un-certain

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you turn off the Active Trace Control, the rear pads will last longer. But 60-80K is typical for brake wear usage. All depends on your driving style as well. When in doubt, just change it. Thats the only thing that will save your life when you need to use it

Check your owners manual and see the recommended brake pad replacement interval if your un-certain
I see ok thanks...just for curiosity when did you change your front brake pads if you did by now did you also change the rotors? Im debating if those should be changed too

·
Registered
374 Posts
I see ok thanks...just for curiosity when did you change your front brake pads if you did by now did you also change the rotors? Im debating if those should be changed too
Haven't changed mine yet. Mines a 17 and only have 37K on it so far. Be awhile before I change mine. If your doing pads anyway, and have the budget, might as well replace the rotors as well so everything is new. Clean surface for the pads to mate to. But you can check your local dealership and see if they will turn the rotors. As in shave some of the surface off to new. Cheaper than replacing the whole rotor. When I worked at Nissan, Service Dept did that instead of rotor replacement IF the rotors were still good/have lots of life on them.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
As Mr Rice was saying the rear pads wear quicker due to active trace control, typically about 30-50% sooner than the front pads how long you get out of a set depends on a lot of variables such
as driving habit but typically you can get 40K miles before needed to replace either front or back.

I personally change both fronts and back at the same time to keep same type of pad consistent.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
As Mr Rice was saying the rear pads wear quicker due to active trace control, typically about 30-50% sooner than the front pads how long you get out of a set depends on a lot of variables such
as driving habit but typically you can get 40K miles before needed to replace either front or back.

I personally change both fronts and back at the same time to keep same type of pad consistent.
I've been driving with ATC disabled since day one. My front and rear pad wear was the same after 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've been driving with ATC disabled since day one. My front and rear pad wear was the same after 15,000 miles.
Exactly. Enable it and see if it changes anything

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Haven't changed mine yet. Mines a 17 and only have 37K on it so far. Be awhile before I change mine. If your doing pads anyway, and have the budget, might as well replace the rotors as well so everything is new. Clean surface for the pads to mate to. But you can check your local dealership and see if they will turn the rotors. As in shave some of the surface off to new. Cheaper than replacing the whole rotor. When I worked at Nissan, Service Dept did that instead of rotor replacement IF the rotors were still good/have lots of life on them.
Even better is if the dealer has an on-vehicle brake lathe. The rotors are cut in situ and when done are VERY straight. They also then tend to stay that way. The whole job was a little costly at just over $300.00 per axle but I thought it was worth it. OEM pads, complete new hardware kits. The brakes are very smooth. Having a hybrid there was the additional incentive to have original braking performance for proper balance between mechanical braking and regen.

I had the rears done at ~35K miles and the fronts at ~45K miles.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
doesnt ATC have to be disabled when in Personal Mode only? It cant be disable all the time correct?
Yes and yes.

·
Registered
357 Posts
On our hybrid I change the pads at 70,000km and the front had a good 70% pads life left but the rears were toasted. The hybrid is really easy on the front pads and rotors due to I think from the regenerative braking everytime you slow down. Our hybrid has the sports brake.

So I would say 3 rear pads for every 1 front pads changes.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I wonder how the regenitave braking effects the front tire life?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts