Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this problem with one of their q50's? it sounds like its coming from the trunk area and I notice it each time the car goes over a small speed bump.

The noise sounds like a creak or body twisting but not suspension. Usually sounds pronounced when its humid outside or after it rain which leads me to believe its some type of insulation or foam in the rear.

Thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you hear it when you back into / out of a drive way at an angle?
Ya I usually only hear this when the car is turning up on an slight incline entrance or going over speed bumps....basically I hear it when the road is not smooth.

It definitely sounds like its coming from the trunk area because when I put my rear seats down the noise was definitely more pronounced...it sounds like something rubbing against eachother, almost like a creak or twisting sound possibly from some insulation somewhere back there

·
Registered
90 Posts
Usually I hear some weird noise coming from the trunk area when I’m backing up and apply the breaks. I could not figure what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Usually I hear some weird noise coming from the trunk area when I’m backing up and apply the breaks. I could not figure what it is.

Check the Rear side Rotor Metal Cover....Could be that

·
Registered
14 Posts

Check the Rear side Rotor Metal
Cover....Could be that
Check out the rear sway bar bushings. Mine were dry and causing a creak when going up / out of eneven driveways, streets, etc. spray them with some WD40. Btw don’t even bother asking Infiniti. They’ll tell you it’s the brakes or something ridiculous.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,827 Posts
Check out the rear sway bar bushings. Mine were dry and causing a creak when going up / out of eneven driveways, streets, etc. spray them with some WD40. Btw don’t even bother asking Infiniti. They’ll tell you it’s the brakes or something ridiculous.
WD-40 is more a penetrating oil and water displacer than a lubricant. It will dry out rapidly and provide no lubricity long-term. You would be better off using a silicone grease. Oil-based greases can cause the bushings to swell if they are rubber.

Some say that for rubber bushings there should be no lubrication and the rubber is suppose to flex with the bar and not squeak. If the bushings squeak, then they have dried out and stiffened. That would indicate that it's time to replace them instead of lubricating them. I think I'd lubricate the bushings instead of replacing them if they aren't worn or dried out.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I can try that but how would I test it when the car is parked to see if it makes the noise from the sway bar bushings? Also not sure if this is relevant but I did get the car rustproofed back in September with the corrossion free 300 which is more of a gel rustproofing than an oil one. I wonder if that has anything to do with the swaybar bushings?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,827 Posts
I believe you are referring to Rust Cure Formula 3000. I doubt it would affect your bushings. It's safe for rubber according to the manufacturer. Besides, just spraying the underside of the car with that product most likely wouldn't penetrate the bushings anyway.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe you are referring to Rust Cure Formula 3000. I doubt it would affect your bushings. It's safe for rubber according to the manufacturer. Besides, just spraying the underside of the car with that product most likely wouldn't penetrate the bushings anyway.
yes thats what it is and ok good to know....I called Infiniti and a service manager told me that it could be a bracket in the rear that is causing some creaking as they had some q50's with this problem.

I have an appointment next week so will see what it is...only problem is that they told me it was not a quick fix. Usually takes a day to do an interior tear down and then do the repair, then put it all back together.

I dont know if im 100% comfortable of them doing this eventhough its Infiniti performing the work. Im not too sure what this tear down is exactly as im sure ill have more explanation to what this involves.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,827 Posts
Good luck!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so just to update to this: I have my appointment tomorrow at Infiniti to check out this issue but the strangest thing happened today. I went to go wash my car and the noise from the trunk area has gone away when i drove off! This leads me to believe that this noise can possibly be coming from the trunk lid support pistons or the bracket! this is the only place I can think of that the water creeped into to stop the noise. Does anyone know what to spray to lubricate these pistons with that is safe?

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Could also be the bushings got sort of lubricated (by the water). Wait til it dries out completely and see if the noise comes back

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
the bushing on the trunk struts?

Like these?

i mean bushings in the suspension links or sway bar as already said by the other gentleman. Must have been wet after the car wash that's why it went away, albeit temporarily (?)

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey everyone so it finally got fixed today at Infiniti! The car was still under warranty so there wasnt any charge. The issue was a bolts that are inside an access panel in the trunk area were completely loose which was causing the noise. I believe if you remove the trunk lining at the back of the trunk you will see the access panel and the bolts. The Car is super quiet again and im glad I finally put this issue to bed!

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Congrats glad it was a simple fix, annoying it happened but little mistakes like that crop up from time to time and it can be a head-ache to chase noises. My G37 front console is starting to squeak and crack when it gets hot so I need to pull out most of the plastics
and treat them or toss in some felt underneath.

Previous owner left the car out 24/7 and didn't care much for the car sadly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hey everyone so it finally got fixed today at Infiniti! The car was still under warranty so there wasnt any charge. The issue was a bolts that are inside an access panel in the trunk area were completely loose which was causing the noise. I believe if you remove the trunk lining at the back of the trunk you will see the access panel and the bolts. The Car is super quiet again and im glad I finally put this issue to bed!

I think I have the exact same issue with my 2015 Q50S. Anyway you can take a picture of the area that had the loose bolts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I have the exact same issue with my 2015 Q50S. Anyway you can take a picture of the area that had the loose bolts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
unfortunately the car went to infiniti for service so im not sure where exactly where the panel is with the loose bolts but if you go in the trunk and pull out the back carpet which is attached with velcro and then pull the side carpetting out you should see where the panel is because I know its in that area somewhere.

·
Registered
5 Posts
ACP11

I have a 2014 Q50S with about 30,000 miles on it. I have this same creaking noise. To me the creak is coming from the upper driver wheel well area/trunk area. I notice it when I go over a speed bump, make a left or right turn on city streets. It seems to me it happens when the car is shifting weight do to turning or the shocks going up and down due to a speed bump, etc. I took out the the carpeted floor in the trunk and removed the trunk head liner and removed the liner from the driver side of the trunk, I checked for any loose bolts or anything loose and could not find anything. I even went and sat in the back seat area with the seats folded down and had someone else drive so I could hear it closer in action. I sounds like the creaking noise is coming from inside the wheel well that you are not able to access from in the side car, I am going to check the wheel well from the outside. I never saw an access a panel from inside the trunk area when I had the liners removed. It would be interesting to see the notes that they made on your service paper work, you should have a copy. Do you think your noise was coming from the driver or passenger side? I am also going to check the swab bar and bushings.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts