Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been dealing with a low-speed shudder in my 2016 3.0t AWD for about 16 months now. It does not happen all the time, but when it does, it's either from a full stop or accelerating from almost a stop (e.g., as if a red light turns green right before you get there), or in stop-and-go traffic. It varies from barely noticeable to the whole car rattling (at its worst, the best way i've been able to describe it is like the rumble you get when you miss the clutch/gas sweet spot on a manual xmsn vehicle).

The car has been in and out of the dealership several times and they've replaced the transfer case, the transmission, and the right front axle -- all to no avail. Infiniti had one of their master technicians come in from out of town and he felt the issue immediately. He was set on it being the axle. When that didn't make the shudder go away, he said, "I guess it's just a characteristic of the vehicle." And that was that.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is it possible that I am the only person to have complained about this 'characteristic of the vehicle'? And am I really to believe that Infiniti is prepared to call something, that was bad enough that it prompted their mechanics to replace a transfer case, axle, and transmission, a 'characteristic of the vehicle'?

looking forward to any insight here!

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,393 Posts
If he is one of their "master technicians", that doesn't bode well for you if he says it's a characteristic of the vehicle. It is not and he is full of sh1t.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I've been dealing with a low-speed shudder in my 2016 3.0t AWD for about 16 months now. It does not happen all the time, but when it does, it's either from a full stop or accelerating from almost a stop (e.g., as if a red light turns green right before you get there), or in stop-and-go traffic. It varies from barely noticeable to the whole car rattling (at its worst, the best way i've been able to describe it is like the rumble you get when you miss the clutch/gas sweet spot on a manual xmsn vehicle).

The car has been in and out of the dealership several times and they've replaced the transfer case, the transmission, and the right front axle -- all to no avail. Infiniti had one of their master technicians come in from out of town and he felt the issue immediately. He was set on it being the axle. When that didn't make the shudder go away, he said, "I guess it's just a characteristic of the vehicle." And that was that.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Is it possible that I am the only person to have complained about this 'characteristic of the vehicle'? And am I really to believe that Infiniti is prepared to call something, that was bad enough that it prompted their mechanics to replace a transfer case, axle, and transmission, a 'characteristic of the vehicle'?

What speeds do you experience the shudder at?

I have a very, very slight shudder in my car at around 25-35 mph when under light acceleration. It is hard to notice by others, but easy for me. I had the dealer check into it and they weren't able to 'feel' it, but did check the driveline (probably just a cursory inspection). The shudder I feel does not sound as significant as what you are feeling since it isn't easy to notice in my car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get the shudder at about 15-25 mph under moderate acceleration -- generally once the car has shifted to 2nd gear; but only as I accelerate through that speed range (i.e., if i maintain that speed, it is a smooth ride once I get past the couple seconds of shuddering). It started out as not so easy to notice - as the first few times bringing it in, I wasn't even able to reproduce it for the dealer. Now, 12 months later, i can make it happen on queue, and no one at the dealership is disputing that they feel it.

I hope yours doesn't turn into a similar issue as you start racking up more miles. (I'm at 31K -- got to be easy to reproduce and bordering on 'this is ridiculous' around 20-22K)

·
Registered
27 Posts

You should file for a replacement or buy back per the "lemon law"

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I get the shudder at about 15-25 mph under moderate acceleration -- generally once the car has shifted to 2nd gear; but only as I accelerate through that speed range (i.e., if i maintain that speed, it is a smooth ride once I get past the couple seconds of shuddering). It started out as not so easy to notice - as the first few times bringing it in, I wasn't even able to reproduce it for the dealer. Now, 12 months later, i can make it happen on queue, and no one at the dealership is disputing that they feel it.

I hope yours doesn't turn into a similar issue as you start racking up more miles. (I'm at 31K -- got to be easy to reproduce and bordering on 'this is ridiculous' around 20-22K)
Thanks for the info. I'm at 23k miles right now. I probably didn't notice this until about around the 12k mark and have not notice any real change. I have been just keeping an eye on it so far. Keep me/us posted on your progress if and when you are able to get it resolved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just as an update - I was dealing with Infiniti Consumer Affairs who submitted a buy-back request, which was promptly rejected due to the vehicle "...not being subject to an unreasonable number of repair attempts for any warrantable concerns that would substantially impair the vehicle." Looks like the "characteristic of the vehicle" qualifier thrown out by the "master tech" back in March was a well-calculated move for Infiniti. Even though my car has been in the shop at least 10 times for this low-speed shudder over the last 18 months - since they're not trying to repair a warrantable concern (a characteristic isn't a warrantable concern, apparently), it doesn't matter if it was in the shop once or a hundred times.

As such, I have retained an attorney to handle follow-on communication with Nissan Motor Corp. We'll see where this goes!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any word on this issue. I recently purchased a 17' premium AWD and have the same issue. It almost feels like a torque converter to me. I haven't spoken with infinity yet, but wanted to see where yours has gone.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Guess Im not the only one. I have had this since day one, but since Im lowered, I have not brought it up to the dealer as they will blame the springs 100%. From what I remember our cars switch to full RWD around the 20mph mark so I assume its drivetrain related.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got this issue also. Feels like a very slight tire wobble for a 10 mph range, then goes away. Just bought mine in Dec 2019 as a CPO car with 36k on it. Feels like it starts right after a shift up to 2nd or 3rd year, but around 25 mph is a good guess where it starts. Feels like a out of balance resonance in a front axle,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts