Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 Review

18K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  rpinto1077 
#1 ·

Is it possible to review a car without talking about its engine? Can you describe the way a powerplant feels without commenting on the vehicle it’s bolted into?

The answer is a stern 'no' on both counts, which is why this evaluation has as much to do with the 2016 Infiniti Q50 as it does with the brand’s latest engine. This stylish four-door is the Japanese automaker’s best-selling nameplate. In fact, it has delivered more than 110,000 Q50s in the United States since 2013.

To keep a good thing going, the car has been mildly warmed over for the new model year, though it has also received a range of sweeping changes, the largest of which are hidden behind its large, mesh-filled grille.

Infiniti has totally revamped the Q50’s engine lineup for 2016, offering North American customers four all-new powertrains. Serving base duty, there’s a Daimler-designed four-cylinder engine. This turbocharged 2.0-liter delivers 208 horsepower along with 258 lb-ft of torque, rather unimpressive numbers for that level of displacement, but it’s supposedly meant to compete with the BMW 320i, which scuffles along with a measly 180 carnival ponies.

Beyond this, a tech-laden 360-horsepower hybrid variant will also be available, and, of course, in certain markets (not North America), customers will also be able to opt for a 2.2-liter diesel. All of that is well and good, but unfortunately, none of these propulsion systems are all that groundbreaking or even particularly exciting, at least not compared to the new V6 Infiniti’s been cooking up for the past few years.
Read more about the 2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 Review at AutoGuide.com.

See less See more
#2 ·
From the linked article: "To give it more character, synthesized engine noise is pumped through the Q50’s speakers, chicanery that’s as unappreciated as it is disingenuous. If you want a car to sound good, let it breathe freely, don’t fiddle around with the sound system."

Is this a true statement? From my understanding of other press reviews, there is no synthetic sound pumped through the speaker; on the contrary, the noise cancellation can be deactivated to get more visceral engine sound permeating through the cabin. Am I wrong?

#3 · (Edited)
Yeah, I've been hearing conflicting reports about the engine noise thing.

I will also agree that the Red Sport could use a little bit more of an appealing aesthetic to it. I'm not saying it needs a full inside-out body kit but there could be a little bit more stank added to it to separate it from the pack (different seats, underbody enhancements, diffuser, carbon fiber, etc.).

#4 ·
I know my hybrid has sound enhancing and noise cancellation. There is no way to turn it off, but the Red Sport could be different.

#5 ·
I was told that it is actual engine noise, but that the sound system can cancel it out or amplify it. I'll try to get a more clear answer when I can. Either way, blame it on BMW, they started it. There's is totally fake, at least ours is supposed to be real engine noise.

#11 ·
Not sure b/c I know the new Maxima also has something similar which has a fake engine sound or something along those lines as well. There were some other vehicles that I have read which also utilize this. Sounds pretty stupid to me. If I am not mistaken maybe it was GM that does it too.

#13 ·
As stated before, BMW started it, and even the Audi's have that now. But as far as I know the BMW has that "harness" that can be pulled, and the Audi's artificial noise (called Soundaktor)can be programmed out via VAGCom. One can hope that Infiniti will have the same type of options in terms of coding, but probably not..:( Just the thought of being able to code the car to close mirrors etc (if auto-folding is available) thru the keyfob along with turning off certain sounds (seatbelt chime, etc) would be a huge step forward in terms of personalizing/customizing.

#15 · (Edited)
AudioPilot isn't what you want to adjust in this case. You would want to adjust Active Sound Management, which as far as I know, is not something that can be adjusted by the owner.

AudioPilot only adjusts the sound quality and volume of the radio, not active noise cancellation. Per the InTouch manual: AudioPilot adjusts the volume and sound quality depending on the changes of the vehicle speed and the noise picked up by the microphone. It compensates for noise for different road surface conditions and open windows. Turn on the item to activate BOSE® AudioPilot®.

Details on Active Sound Management taken from the Bose web site: The Q50 is equipped with Bose Active Sound Management to help control the way the vehicle’s engine and powertrain sound inside the cabin. Using proprietary technologies in conjunction with the audio system’s speakers and amplifier, the Bose Active Sound Management system reduces unwanted powertrain noise in the Q50 while also enhancing desirable engine sounds. This creates a quieter cabin with a smooth, consistent engine note. Active Sound Management operates continuously, whether the audio system is on or off.

I hate to break it to everyone, but the Q50 has always had "enhanc[ed] desirable engine sounds" it seems. Nothing new for 2016.

#22 ·
That would pull me in. The 7AT is 'just ok' - if they build a proper performance trans, I would get in line. My lease has another 2 years...we will see...

#25 ·
Seriously though... Q50 might be the last Infiniti I will buy. Since G35, they are not even playing catch up. The catch up is so behind!
If they want to be taken seriously, they need to stay one step ahead. The competition is pierce.
They think they can keep milking the same stuff over and over.... cut the deal with JATCO and put the freaking Dual Clutch already!
Come on! Even Caddie is changing fast and been quite leader on the front.

#26 · (Edited)
What was the issue with the Eau Rouge? Why couldn't they build that off the GT-R platform? They made it seem like a few more minor tweaks to the suspension and transmission and it was good to go. Why is that all of a sudden something out of reach. Even a downgraded version putting out 450 HP and 400 Pounds of Torque would be just as good IMO. Then do an IPL version with the GT-R Specs.

I'm currently looking at Used 2012-2014 Lexus IS-F's for when my lease is up.

#36 ·
#41 ·
Not really. The ATS-V is there to compete with the Full blooded c63 AMGs and the M3. High performance Rear-wheel drive sport sedans.
The regular ATS can use a bump in power and especially torque and could re-label itself as an ATS V-Sport to compete with the c450 AMG, BMW 340i M-Sport, and the upcoming Infiniti RS which are all offered with AWD option. (unlike their higher performance variants)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.