Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

An Infiniti dealer here in Vancouver BC has a 2016 Q50 hybrid with only 5,000 km. Their explanation is it was owned by someone who lives in Japan and only drove it when visiting here.

There's limited information on CarFax, of course. It does show annual trips to the dealer for various minor items.

A couple of questions I am hoping y'all can answer:

1) Any hybrid specific issues to check for prior to purchase?
2) Should I be concerned that long periods of no use may have discharged the battery to the point of being damaged? It drives fine and there are no idiot lights illuminated.
3) Anyone know of a local Infiniti dealer with mechanic(s) certified to work on hybrids? None of the ones I have called have any experience or training.
4) Any good independent shops for hybrids?

Thanks!

Rob

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
484 Posts
I have a 2016 Hybrid ST – no problems up to now (50k miles).

Every Infiniti dealer should be able to service a Hybrid. If the car was regularly maintained there should be no issues.

But sorry, I don't buy that story...

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,088 Posts
Sounds like a variation of the old car salesperson saw about the car only being driven by a little old lady to church on Sundays.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sounds like a variation of the old car salesperson saw about the car only being driven by a little old lady to church on Sundays.
I had someone try to use that line on me while shopping around for my car (skipped this particular one). I don’t know for a fact that he was lying, but suffice to say that if he wasn’t- the old lady was smoking cigarettes and had a heavy foot as it had about 15% EV miles on the odometer . Guess she wanted to get to church pronto.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually this low mileage on a luxury or near luxury car is a common thing in Vancouver. There are a lot of wealthy property owners from Asia who have homes in several different countries. Vancouver and Whistler are major international destinations for the wealthy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2016 Hybrid ST – no problems up to now (50k miles).

Every Infiniti dealer should be able to service a Hybrid. If the car was regularly maintained there should be no issues. But sorry, I don't buy that story...
If the Infiniti dealer says they've never done anything but maintenance and don't have anyone with Infiniti's hybrid certification - I am inclined to believe them. Now that hybrids are no longer built, it's likely Infiniti no longer offers training. So qualified mechanics are going to get harder to find.
I spoke to a Nissan dealer I know. They have Nissan hybrid qualified mechanics, but the mechanics said the Infiniti system is significantly different than Nissan's.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,088 Posts
I had someone try to use that line on me while shopping around for my car (skipped this particular one). I don’t know for a fact that he was lying, but suffice to say that if he wasn’t- the old lady was smoking cigarettes and had a heavy foot as it had about 15% EV miles on the odometer . Guess she wanted to get to church pronto.
Yeah, either she was in desperate need of salvation or she didn't want to be late for the church-sponsored bingo games.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
If the dealer gave it a clean bill of health I'd snag the extended warranty if they offer one, but the Q50
Hybrid has been pretty reliable in the examples we've had in the forums.

Maybe keep an eye out for rust on the under-side and if possible have the dealership test the 12V battery
as it's probably near end of life.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
484 Posts
If the Infiniti dealer says they've never done anything but maintenance and don't have anyone with Infiniti's hybrid certification - I am inclined to believe them. Now that hybrids are no longer built, it's likely Infiniti no longer offers training. So qualified mechanics are going to get harder to find.
I spoke to a Nissan dealer I know. They have Nissan hybrid qualified mechanics, but the mechanics said the Infiniti system is significantly different than Nissan's.
Sorry for being unclear – I don't buy the 5000km story. If your dealer says he's unable to service your car I would definitely believe and leave him...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for being unclear – I don't buy the 5000km story. If your dealer says he's unable to service your car I would definitely believe and leave him...
I'm not concerned with the mileage. There are CarFax entries once a year with it going into the dealer showing the mileage slowly creeping up.
In Vancouver this is quite common with wealthy Asians with homes on several continents.

·
Registered
484 Posts
No dissent here – a man's got to do what a man's got to do!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's the ad. It's a Canadian car, of course, and I think it has all the options available that year. Am I right?

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,701 Posts
I believe the mileage & it's 3.5-4 years old. So is fairly new. If you can find a dealership in 100-200 miles that can and is familiar with them, I think it could be a very good deal, or it's a lemon. You should be able to figure it out fairly easily.

Maybe in the glove compartment you may find some maintenance papers. If not an Infiniti dealer, go talk to them.

·
Registered
729 Posts

Ooopss...look like some jumped the gun assuming the car dealership was giving you a line similar to the little old lady driving to church. Your explanation regarding wealthy people from Asia makes sense.

In the very near future INFINITI mechanics will have no choice in being certified to work on hybrids. Hybrids and electrification are coming to INFINITI showrooms very soon.

Sounds like a nice car. I have a 2018 hybrid and absolutely love the car. A mere 35 ponies short of a Red Sport with the benefits of not stopping for gas often at all. Good luck and keep us updated.

Reactions: Wheels43

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,701 Posts
I'd jump on it if you want the hybrid.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Aye if you can snag the car and it only has 5K miles go for it I say, sometimes you get lucky with mileage like that on cars. My last roommates GTI had a similar story was 5-6 years old and only 20,000 KM on the odometer.

Just an old man who drove it on the weekends to the store and to his family's place.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,701 Posts
I don't consider a 4000 lb car a "sports car" rather a high performance luxury "sport" sedan. More so with the Q60. But I get your point. ENJOY! 😁👍🏻

For a few $ you can easily add a lot of "sport" to it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

An Infiniti dealer here in Vancouver BC has a 2016 Q50 hybrid with only 5,000 km. Their explanation is it was owned by someone who lives in Japan and only drove it when visiting here.

There's limited information on CarFax, of course. It does show annual trips to the dealer for various minor items.

A couple of questions I am hoping y'all can answer:

1) Any hybrid specific issues to check for prior to purchase?
2) Should I be concerned that long periods of no use may have discharged the battery to the point of being damaged? It drives fine and there are no idiot lights illuminated.
3) Anyone know of a local Infiniti dealer with mechanic(s) certified to work on hybrids? None of the ones I have called have any experience or training.
4) Any good independent shops for hybrids?

Thanks!

Rob
How much did they quote you for this vehicle?

·
Registered
60 Posts
The best model was 2015 Hybrid Q50S which came with the sport package. After that they kind of just killed it. A lot of people don't understand how good the hybrid q50 sport really was. I spoke to a head Infiniti technician that came from Infiniti Tennessee and even he said the hybrid was his favorite car. In Japan from 2014 till 2019 all they sold was the hybrid version and that was it. No 3.7 or 3.0T. They just released the 3.0T version 400R this year and they don't even have the regular 300hp variant of that engine there. So when people here hybrid they immediately laugh and assume it's weak and nothing but boring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts