Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Redsport awd | Stillen catback exhaust | ams intakes | ams downpipes | Mishimoto HE | Hks Bov
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking to install a aftermarket spoiler on my redsport but it already has the oem spoiler on it ....I want to remove it but wanted to know if anyone knows whether it’s just held down by 3m tape or is It bolted down to the trunk as well ?

·
Registered
508 Posts
If its OEM spoilers from factory, then its combo of bolted down + 3M tape but there will be holes on the truck if you go aftermarket that dependin on which spoiler you go with, won't cover the holes.

Reactions: MrDemon400rs16

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
3,387 Posts
OEM spoiler is tasteful. Keep it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
OEM spoiler is tasteful. Keep it.
Tastes will obviously differ but this is the best spoiler IMO. 2nd best one is the Dramaspeed Trunk, that has the molded spoiler in it.

Not a fan of the huge duck bill one, not a fan of that batman looking one.

1d823a7241b61df2409481faeeb41333_1800x1800.jpeg

·
Registered
2016 Redsport awd | Stillen catback exhaust | ams intakes | ams downpipes | Mishimoto HE | Hks Bov
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If its OEM spoilers from factory, then its combo of bolted down + 3M tape but there will be holes on the truck if you go aftermarket that dependin on which spoiler you go with, won't cover the holes.
Tastes will obviously differ but this is the best spoiler IMO. 2nd best one is the Dramaspeed Trunk, that has the molded spoiler in it.

Not a fan of the huge duck bill one, not a fan of that batman looking one.

View attachment 91027 View attachment 91027
yea I think the duckbill might be a bit much for me .... the oem I have is great. Just getting mod happy I guess lol

·
Registered
164 Posts
So probably a dumb Q's...is the spoiler purely cosmetic? Looks to small to really affect much tho maybe a bump in mpg at higher speeds?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So probably a dumb Q's...is the spoiler purely cosmetic? Looks to small to really affect much tho maybe a bump in mpg at higher speeds?
I can’t speak for anyone else but for me just purely cosmetic ...I’m sure there are some downforce studies showing how it helps but there prob no significant gain from it ... maybe others can comment further on it

·
Registered
164 Posts
I can’t speak for anyone else but for me just purely cosmetic ...I’m sure there are some downforce studies showing how it helps but there prob no significant gain from it ... maybe others can’t comment further on it
Some of them do look cool. Not sure about how well it'll hold with 3M tape...but would be a-scared to drill holes in my ride.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,601 Posts
Some of them do look cool. Not sure about how well it'll hold with 3M tape...but would be a-scared to drill holes in my ride.
I put my rear spoiler on about 2 years ago with 3M tape. I'd have to use a pry bar to get it off. Proper surface preparation is the key to adhesion.

They are purely cosmetic IMHO. The rear deck does needs something to improve the looks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I put my rear spoiler on about 2 years ago with 3M tape. I'd have to use a pry bar to get it off. Proper surface preparation is the key to adhesion.

They are purely cosmetic IMHO. The rear deck does needs something to improve the looks.
I may have to look at putting one on. Do you hand-wash or do carwash?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,601 Posts
I never go through an automated car wash as they are pretty hard on paint. I hand-wash using a foam cannon and pressure washer.

Reactions: GuyManDude

·
Registered
2018 Jaguar XE, had 2017 Red Sport 400, 17 Silver Sport, 14 Hybrid and 14 Base 3.7.
1,537 Posts
As Avedis53 said, I've had mine on for two years also, mostly hand wash and touchless wash, no problem with the 3M tape. Plus it's easy to remove.

Reactions: GuyManDude

·
Registered
508 Posts
Mines held on with just 3M tape but the heavy duty version. I had to take it off to get it re-paint matched again as the first time Ebay didn't paint match it correctly. I had to use a some windshield cutting string to remove it as I had used like a roll and a half on just the spoiler sticking it on. But **** aint going anywhere. And I only hand wash with foam cannon, pressure washer and 2 bucket method as well. I always decline the free dealership car wash and even shove a note on the dash DO NOT WASH in case they forget. Don't want the dealership messing up my ceramic coat

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yep purely cosmetic. Looks good but it sits almost flat with the trunk and extends a little over an inch. Also with how short the back end is I doubt much air hits it and probably just rolls above it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mr. Demon did you end up putting an aftermarket spoiler on? I have the RS with an OEM spoiler on it already but would really like to put a V Style spoiler on instead. For me it’s purely cosmetic as well. I would also like to do a combo of bolting (if easily possible) and tape to make it as secure as possible. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have an RS with the oem rear spoiler and I just removed it this weekend for a carbon fiber M style wing. The oem is bolted and stuck with 3M tape. It actually looked like Infiniti installed the oem wing without letting the trunk decklid paint fully dry. My M style wing didn't cover up all the holes from the oem wing so I had to cover them up with carbon fiber 3M wrap.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have an RS with the oem rear spoiler and I just removed it this weekend for a carbon fiber M style wing. The oem is bolted and stuck with 3M tape. It actually looked like Infiniti installed the oem wing without letting the trunk decklid paint fully dry. My M style wing didn't cover up all the holes from the oem wing so I had to cover them up with carbon fiber 3M wrap.
Do you have pics of the trunk lid? With the paint issues

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mr. Demon did you end up putting an aftermarket spoiler on? I have the RS with an OEM spoiler on it already but would really like to put a V Style spoiler on instead. For me it’s purely cosmetic as well. I would also like to do a combo of bolting (if easily possible) and tape to make it as secure as possible. Anyone have any suggestions?
I ended up just keeping my factory spoiler and selling the duckbill didn’t really wanna deal with any holes that were left uncovered after taking the factory one off...Although have seen some Q’s with it on and it does make the car look alil more aggressive

1 - 20 of 21 Posts