Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
the JB4 is not a flash tune and is completely removable. Have you ever watched Tommy Boy? CPO=brake pad warranty.....like a warm blanket. Obviously it's your choice and your money, but given that your initial post seemed highly concerned about spending twice what you normally spend on a car, there are cheaper alternatives that are just as reliable and would give you the power you want.
You are correct, I am concerned about spending more money on a car than I have ever before. That said, thank you for the JB4 advice. I've spent some time over the last few days looking into the JB4 and I don't really see any down-side to taking this route. For that reason, I opted to forgo the RS and am now looking for a similarly configured 2017 or 2018 SS rather than a 2016 RS.

At the time of my original post I was excited and in full-on tunnel vision. So, thank you for getting this advice through my thick skull and preventing me from making a decision I would likely have regretted later.

Thank you again. It is taking time...but I will one day join your ranks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I've been using a JB4 w/BT for about 12,000 miles now and haven't had any problems running a 3.5 PSI tapered boost on 92 octane fuel. I'm not concerned at all about it's impact on the engine or the warranty. As long as it's used within reasonable limits based on your fuel octane and you monitor your logs to make sure the ECM is handling AFR and the other pertinent variables properly, it's a safe mod IMHO.
After doing considerable JB4 research over the last few days, that, too, is the conclusion I've come to. Thank you for re-enforcing that decision.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
You are correct, I am concerned about spending more money on a car than I have ever before. That said, thank you for the JB4 advice. I've spent some time over the last few days looking into the JB4 and I don't really see any down-side to taking this route. For that reason, I opted to forgo the RS and am now looking for a similarly configured 2017 or 2018 SS rather than a 2016 RS.

At the time of my original post I was excited and in full-on tunnel vision. So, thank you for getting this advice through my thick skull and preventing me from making a decision I would likely have regretted later.

I think you made the right choice. Sorry if I was too direct, but I can appreciate the apprehension on spending a bunch of money on a large purchase and sometimes come across too direct in an effort to save people trouble :) Be sure to look at places like Carvana and Vroom as well as they have off lease/off rental cars that are still low mileage/2017+ and MUCH cheaper than any dealer price I've seen. They also provide a warranty and usually offer an extended warranty for an additional $2-3k which still puts you well below dealer prices.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
From what I’ve heard the belt issue (misaligned pulley) is problematic for every year. People have reported issues with 2018’s. The Infiniti bulletin might specify a specific number of vins between 16-17 but it’s happening outside these years as well.

I say pull the trigger on the Red Sport and purchase an extended warranty for CYA if your worried about issues. The power train warranty should cover you for the engine and trans for 6 or 7 years and 60 or 70k. Also just make sure your checking the belt for alignment. Infiniti should be able to help you with this. Trust me they are well aware of it.

If your not looking to do anything but enjoy the standard RS400 then go for it imo.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BXApjNU7QpjOeekiLiFv8VV_M2o149TN/view

Warranty
Infiniti Extended Warranty - Infiniti Warranty, Infiniti Extended Warranties, Infiniti Warranties, Infiniti Factory Warranty
Thanks for the encouraging words but I've decided to take the SS option and add the JB4. All indications are that the JB4 will give me a significant boost with little risk (as long as I do some logging and keep things reasonable) while, at the same time, satisfying my desire to keep my hand grease-free!

I've said it before and I'll say it again; this forum (really its members...you guys) is an invaluable resource to Q50 owners. I am so glad I found it PRIOR to making the purchase!

·
Registered
3,973 Posts

Hah well as much as we'd like to tell ourselves that buying a car isn't an emotional experience it's far too easy to get excited about
buying one when your in a dealership and just finished a test drive... Especially when that test drive includes a 400HP car. lol

Always good to sit down and think about it for a few days, hope to see your official post and pictures once you get everything sorted out sir!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Be sure to look at places like Carvana and Vroom as well as they have off lease/off rental cars that are still low mileage/2017+ and MUCH cheaper than any dealer price I've seen. They also provide a warranty and usually offer an extended warranty for an additional $2-3k which still puts you well below dealer prices.
They (Vroom) also deliver the car to you from anywhere in the country.

Impressive pricing on two (2) 2019 Q50 Red Sports - one RWD, one AWD:

Used 2019 INFINITI Q50 For Sale ($35,130) | Vroom

Used 2019 INFINITI Q50 For Sale ($35,130) | Vroom

As an Audi enthusiast, I found this 2018 TT-RS (RS for "Rocket Ship") quite tempting for the price:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Make sure you verify that the SS comes with big brake package. I believe in MY2018 they had SS without big brake which is odd in a sport model.

My 16 premium, which I got as a CPO, had the belt issue. Dealer replaced it and re-aligned the compressor under TSB, in April of 2019 and I haven't had the issue since then.

At the time of my search, I could not find an SS without the DAS, so I settled on a low mileage premium, which unlike the car you are looking at, came with 6-year / Unlimited miles warranty, essentially 3.5 years/unlimited miles balance from the day I bought it.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,448 Posts
Make sure you verify that the SS comes with big brake package. I believe in MY2018 they had SS without big brake which is odd in a sport model.

My 16 premium, which I got as a CPO, had the belt issue. Dealer replaced it and re-aligned the compressor under TSB, in April of 2019 and I haven't had the issue since then.

At the time of my search, I could not find an SS without the DAS, so I settled on a low mileage premium, which unlike the car you are looking at, came with 6-year / Unlimited miles warranty, essentially 3.5 years/unlimited miles balance from the day I bought it.
IN 2018, the Q50 Sport and Luxe had an available Performance Package option. That package had the dynamic digital suspension and wheel-mounted paddle shifters in addition to the sport brakes. The package was standard on the RS.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts