Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I picked up my lovely 2017 q50 3.0t sport w/ 32k miles a few weeks ago. I had the dealer do the AWD service for the front rear diffs and the transfer case a week ago since it hasn’t been done before. Now I notice this weird clunking vibration & noise coming from the rear when I cold start and throw it in reverse as well as fully turn the steering wheel to either direction. I caught it on video (have to turn sound up) and it is most apparent at the 7 second mark but you can also visually see the vibrations inside the car from it. Important to note the clunking continues when put in drive as well but only at low speed cold starts with the wheel fully turned in one direction. I wanted to see if anyone here had a similar issue.

Video

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,342 Posts
Take it back to the dealership and ask them the same question.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I haven’t heard of this issue previously. Why don’t you bring it right back to the dealer as it seems the noise began after they performed the AWD service?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I’m planning on doing that next week when I have the wheels refinished under warranty (yay tire and wheel protection) . I’ve already rode with a tech and showed him the video and asked to see if they can reproduce the issue when they have it under their care. I wanted to see if anyone here has had something similar and will update the forum if/when the dealership is able to diagnose to help others who might have the same issue down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,342 Posts
Thanks, I’m planning on doing that next week when I have the wheels refinished under warranty (yay tire and wheel protection) . I’ve already rode with a tech and showed him the video and asked to see if they can reproduce the issue when they have it under their care. I wanted to see if anyone here has had something similar and will update the forum if/when the dealership is able to diagnose to help others who might have the same issue down the road.

I haven't heard that before. Do post back the cause when it's determined. It seems to be dependent on speed as the "clunking" speeds up with the vehicle movement. Perhaps just my imagination.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Absolutely, this forum has been a great resource as a new owner so hopefully they're able to help out and I can save someone else some time down the road. Yes I do think it's related to the speed but it's hard to tell, maybe I will mount a gopro to my undercarriage to get a better recording.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Almost sounds like it has a welded differential installed now, my money would be they messed up the service on the rear diff maybe not enough diff oil
was used or the wrong viscosity.

Infiniti would need to take a look at it 100%.

Reactions: munch

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That actually sounds very feasible. Upon inspection of my invoice it looks like they used 80w-90 conventional diff oil on both the front and rear diffs. It’s my understanding that the rear requires 75w-80 synthetic as per FastGTR’s tutorial. That could explain why the issue is only present when cold. The oil gets warmer as the car runs and the issue/noise goes away. What do you guys think? I’ve been driving it like this for about a week < 500 miles. Should I not drive it anymore until they replace it?

Edit: for clarity

EA5833CB-F060-485C-B7A3-A837B3A57C54.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,342 Posts
The Infiniti-recommended differential fluids (per Owner's Manual):

Front differential - Nissan Differential Oil Hypoid Super GL-5 80W-90 or equivalent conventional (non-synthetic) oil.
Rear differential - Nissan Differential Oil Hypoid Super-S GL-5 synthetic 75WS-90 or equivalent.

Reactions: munch and u1arunit

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got off the phone with the dealership... oh boy. I let them know about the discrepancy between the oil in the manual and what was used and they said “we use the same oil on both differentials for all our cars and we have no issues” to which I said thats absolute BS , if I wanted to save money I’d go to a quick oil place. You guys are Infiniti and you should be following Infiniti’s recommendation. They said well okay we’ll take a look at it when we have it in. Either way I’m bringing it by next week for a wheel repair, I’ll let them diagnose and see what comes back. Another reason to do your own work...I just got some matic S and I’ll be doing my own trans drain/refill after the wheels are refinished.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,342 Posts
Just got off the phone with the dealership... oh boy. I let them know about the discrepancy between the oil in the manual and what was used and they said “we use the same oil on both differentials for all our cars and we have no issues” to which I said thats absolute BS , if I wanted to save money I’d go to a quick oil place. You guys are Infiniti and you should be following Infiniti’s recommendation. They said well okay we’ll take a look at it when we have it in. Either way I’m bringing it by next week for a wheel repair, I’ll let them diagnose and see what comes back. Another reason to do your own work...I just got some matic S and I’ll be doing my own trans drain/refill after the wheels are refinished.

Where's the next closest Infiniti dealership?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This one is 5 mins from my house. The next closest is 45 mins away but also a much larger dealership. I’ll see how they work with this issue, hopefully they can fix things. Will keep everyone updated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well another update:

It happened again. This time pulling in to my driveway after having driven 10-15 miles on the highway so my cold start theory isn’t looking too good. Turning the wheel at full lock and low speed produced it. So I’m gonna keep shut until they’ve had a chance to diagnose and will update right after. Still not happy about their use of the same oil for front and rear diffs.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
It would seem to be an issue with your rear differential. When you are turning sharp and traveling at a low speed the differential is managing the difference in rear wheel axle speeds. Something is up and it may just be a result of something done wrong from the recent service you had.

Reactions: Avedis53

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So quick update. The dealer said they weren’t able to replicate the issue when they had it in their care for the other issue. I didn’t press it then (my mistake) but the next day when turning into a tight spot it happened again and has been happening since. What do you guys recommend in terms of approach to get it fixed? Should I ask them to redo the rear diff with the proper weight oil as a precaution. I showed them videos of it but that didn’t seem to do much in terms of convincing them of an issue. I’ve only had the car for 3 weeks and this issue wasn’t present prior to the AWD service. Not sure how to proceed.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I'd start with the correct fluid, for sure.
So quick update. The dealer said they weren’t able to replicate the issue when they had it in their care for the other issue. I didn’t press it then (my mistake) but the next day when turning into a tight spot it happened again and has been happening since. What do you guys recommend in terms of approach to get it fixed? Should I ask them to redo the rear diff with the proper weight oil as a precaution. I showed them videos of it but that didn’t seem to do much in terms of convincing them of an issue. I’ve only had the car for 3 weeks and this issue wasn’t present prior to the AWD service. Not sure how to proceed.

Reactions: munch and q50adix

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I'd start with the correct fluid, for sure.
A top poster!! Please don't infect this site. Please.

I fought that battle in newsgroups and email 25 years ago. Still traumatized.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
A top poster!! Please don't infect this site. Please.

I fought that battle in newsgroups and email 25 years ago. Still traumatized.
Okay I assume that you mean that I should post below the quote?

If so, sorry. It's born out of habit from other forums that do not shorten the quotes.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,342 Posts
Okay I assume that you mean that I should post below the quote?

If so, sorry. It's born out of habit from other forums that do not shorten the quotes.
I believe that's what he's referring to.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts