Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Premium Awd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here. I came from a lifted and heavily modified F150. I have always loved Infiniti since my college days where I worked as a valet, so now I have my very own Q50. It is a 2017 Premium Awd. The one thing I hate about it are the lowering springs. The car literally feels like it has no shocks or suspension when going over bumps and, when I go over even the slightest bump, the front end bounces 4 or 5 times. Maybe it's just because i'm 42 years old, but I HATE IT!! :ROFLMAO: I've done some youtube and google research, and everybody is saying to go with coilovers. What are your thoughts? I don't race the car, just spirited drives on the weekend to enjoy the car's power and turbos. I don't mind a stiff ride, but I want some suspension when going over bumps as well.

I'm looking for some recommendations, mainly whether I should go with coilovers or try to find some shocks to pair with the lowering springs. If so, what shocks and where can they be purchased? I did put some new Goodyear Exhilerate tires on it (245/40 r19) with an alignment and that did help the ride tremendously, but it obviously didn't do anything with the suspension issue. The car literally feels like a go cart and very un-infiniti-like. What do you recommend?

Attachments

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,285 Posts
I'm not a fan of lowering springs. IMHO, ditch those springs and go with coilovers.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have driven in a few cars with lowering springs and always hated the ride. I would also recommend coilovers but do your research about brand and spring rate selection if you do down that path. You can configure a set to be compliant like OEM or extremely aggressive for the track. From what you wrote, 12k/8k spring rates may be a good starting point to consider but ask around for input.

Reactions: Bpm2348

·
Super Moderator
3,250 Posts
Reactions: Bpm2348

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
1,114 Posts
I'm totally satisfied with my KW V3 coilovers!

Just one thought: If your car "bounces" I'm not convinced it's (only) the springs but the dampers. How many miles on your car?

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Premium Awd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I definitely want to go with coilovers. I've seen Bc recommended many times and i'm sure they will be fine and definitely better than what I have. A firm ride doesn't bother me, I just want the car to absorb bumps somewhat as it does not even a little bit as it sits right now. I had a shop quote me $780 to install coilovers and that includes an alignment. Does that sound decent as far as labor goes? Also, when I order them, is there anything else that my install guy will need? Any extra plates or bolts that could potentially hold up the install if I don't order them?

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Premium Awd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for being the guinea pig because I was contemplating RSR downs. Now I know to stay away.
Stay FAR FAR AWAY!!!! Seriously, it rides horrible! I can't for the life of me understand why anybody would do that to a car with the way it rides now. Especially an Infiniti!! Don't do it!!

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Premium Awd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm totally satisfied with my KW V3 coilovers!

Just one thought: If your car "bounces" I'm not convinced it's (only) the springs but the dampers. How many miles on your car?
The car has 46k with a rebuilt title. The interior and the brake pads that were just replaced are/were consistent with that mileage, so I don't think there is any discrepancy. With that said, when I got the car, it had Federal 595 SS tires on it that were grossly out of balance (one was separating), the rear pads were gone, the front were about gone, and the car was in desperate need of an alignment. I've since taken care of those issues and the car is way better. Now I want to get the suspension fixed up so I can move onto the exhaust. 😅

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
1,114 Posts
Okay, with 46k miles on it I'd certainly check the dampers, also because car is lowered...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Sounds like your stock shocks may be blown from the lowering springs.
The car has 46k with a rebuilt title.
You really should be sharing this kind of info in your initial post before posting a strong opinion.

I actually suspect that your dampers are blown or failed and probably need to be replaced. Lowering springs can impact the life of stock dampers, but I also wonder what happened to the vehicle that could've damaged the suspension before the rebuilt title. Maybe the "rebuilt" didn't address the suspension.

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Premium Awd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, with 46k miles on it I'd certainly check the dampers, also because car is lowered...
I definitely will. Thanks!

Reactions: DeeCee

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,325 Posts
Sounds like your stock shocks may be blown from the lowering springs.

You really should be sharing this kind of info in your initial post before posting a strong opinion.

I actually suspect that your dampers are blown or failed and probably need to be replaced. Lowering springs can impact the life of stock dampers, but I also wonder what happened to the vehicle that could've damaged the suspension before the rebuilt title. Maybe the "rebuilt" didn't address the suspension.
I had a 17 premium AWD with RSR down springs same as OP and it rode in normal circumstances practically stock. I do not experience any of the things OP mentioned.
I suspect you are correct, the "rebuilt" could be contributing or possibly whoever installed the springs spun the strut blowing it or causing it to leak or something along those lines.
A coilover could be a bandaid fix covering the real issue or fix the issue but only because the issue was the strut not spring. Its slightly lower and slightly stiffer it shouldn't have a dramatic impact to ride quality. Plenty of positive reviews and people commenting the same, enough of them to make me suspect the ones who do have negative reviews actually have other issues or it was install error.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,325 Posts
There's no aftermarket shock option for us. AFAIK, your only options from here are to return to stock, or coilovers. I can't speak to ride quality on coils because I'm still stock.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Good find. Looked into it and those Tein are not for the AWD option. At least the RWD have an option besides factory.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,325 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Vendor
1,036 Posts
The problem with the Tein shocks/struts is availability... I would be skeptical about those listing them in stock. They are special order items, just FYI.

Onto coilovers, BC seems to be the most popular choice. We carry a couple other options to such as Feal and Revel.
The Feal are custom order, 5-6 weeks at this current time. The Revel are hit and miss on inventory. If I can be of assistance let me know.

-Michael

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
OP...can you pony up a few more bicks and get rsr coilovers for awd.

they are about $1800 and the ride comfort is similar to factory.

I have had mine for around 25,000 miles with no issues.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts