Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

2017 Scary RS400

40K views 122 replies 25 participants last post by  Avedis53 
#1 ·
So, I'll cover this week:

Sunday, I had a couple 2.5" tubes bent to match the rough shape of the aftermarket exhausts on the market. Wasn't the exact shape, so I hit it with a torch and 2 inch bending tool from the 1940s. Got em matched up well and welded flanges and stock tips. Removed a monstrosity of a stock muffler and bolted up the new deletes. 10 bucks for the original bends from a buddy at performance shop, 30ish for the flanges... Less than $50 for all of it. Wooo! Less butt bubble torque but sweet sound!

This is how I rationalized the JB1 before registration or first payment. Got that and installed on Tuesday, torque feels badass, plenty of power in the low/mid ranges now. Very satisfied in the bang for the buck.

Wednesday I moved the JB1 from the panel to the rear top of the motor against the firewall and tied it down. Good nuff for govt work. Also hardwired the radar detector into the fuse box and ran the wires up the A pillar and under the headliner.

Thursday I got the registration and my plate transferred!

Friday, buffed and sealed some light scratches off the roof. The quality of the factory paint is amazing compared to most other car manufacturers. Made a appointment with the tint dude... Soon.

Today, I took the three kids on a trip to go see my mom. Took the Feather River highway on the way back. If you live in Northern California or Nevada, you have to drive this road... It's beautiful and twisty with some wide open straights and tunnels. It's like racing a video game rally track. It's perfect. I really wish I had a dash cam, pictures will have to suffice. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Great post! Always fun seeing kids enjoying the ride as well. Glad you're enjoying your car.

#5 ·
Hey scary nice job with your Kids my are 19 and 20, and don't care for long rides like i do, we got 8" of snow yesterday, and here i am waiting for the JB1, to burn rubber in snow.

Reactions: Scary
#6 ·
Nice car and nice looking family. Although looks like you might not be driving the car the correct way if one of the kids falls asleep while you are driving!>:D Remember, the fun pedal is on the right!

#9 ·
Hah, he could fall asleep in a tornado.

For my detector install, I used one of these:

Takes two seconds to install and simply taps into the rearview mirror plug.
I am getting one of these... good find.

I ended up getting the Uniden R3 last month. Does a good job when tweeking the settings. I also bought that mirror tap on Amazon. I made a make shift (good outcome) mirror tap for my dash cam and I have both dash cam and radar detector pushed into the same pins behind the rear view mirror. Everything has been working well for a month now.
So, I was looking at the dashcam. I want one that isn't boxy, or that can be hidden behind the mirror. Which one did you go with?

#7 ·
Good looking Q! I was torn between grey and blue. I love the JB1 as well - definitely the best bang for the buck. I can easily roast the rears, which are wrapped in Pilot Super Sports.. heh. It's going to be an expensive habit, I think..

#8 ·
Good looking Q! I was torn between grey and blue. I love the JB1 as well - definitely the best bang for the buck. I can easily roast the rears, which are wrapped in Pilot Super Sports.. heh. It's going to be an expensive habit, I think..

I ended up getting the Uniden R3 last month. Does a good job when tweeking the settings. I also bought that mirror tap on Amazon. I made a make shift (good outcome) mirror tap for my dash cam and I have both dash cam and radar detector pushed into the same pins behind the rear view mirror. Everything has been working well for a month now.

#10 ·
So, I ordered the JB4 upgrade and Bluetooth adapter...

Here's the thing, eff trying to hunt down the **** installation documentation. I appreciate all the work Burger has put into their product... it's slick, but holy **** is it unorganized. The install for the Bluetooth adapter is found from going to the Bluetooth product page, then finding the link called "JB4 install guide, which is misleading because it's the adapter install, not the effin JB4 install (if you are just installing the Bluetooth adapter)" then selecting the link that says "***F Series/N55 E Series/All Other Vehicles***"

The other link is the second post on the N54 forum under the Q50 JB1 release thread.

This is the install "guide" for the Bluetooth. It's a picture and it tells you to tap one of the RED wires.

This is the link to the JB1 -> JB4 upgrade.

Nothing was entirely hard about the install. Just replace the chip (pry plastic housing apart on JB1, then swap circuit cards and snap it back together. Take apart the larger cable end, Green pin = #2 hole (giggity) and Brown pin = #15 . Blue splices into either red wire (splice in after you put the connector back together so you have slack to play with). Then run your data cable from the OBD2 port through the firewall grommet and plug it into the Bluetooth 4 pin adapter connector.

I played with it a bit, but had the kiddos and they were hungry. So, play time will come tomorrow. Hopefully I can log some 3rd gear pulls and see how I can customize it a bit more. Being constantly concerned about water and dirt getting on the board, I sealed mine with a few wraps of electrical tape. Not sure how I feel about the wires being ran next to the (IIRC) A/C high side line, as it gets pretty hot... we'll see how that goes as well. But, meh, 91 octane, I will probably stay safe and stick with the +3 lbs. My AFR numbers were a touch concerning at 14.5ish, but after looking at YouTube and uploaded logs, that seems to be the norm. I would be far more comfortable around 12.5:1.

No pictures, my hand and side hurts from jamming my 6'3" body under the dash for 10 min. I honestly felt like a gorilla performing brain surgery.

#17 ·
So, I ordered the JB4 upgrade and Bluetooth adapter...

Nothing was entirely hard about the install. Just replace the chip (pry plastic housing apart on JB1, then swap circuit cards and snap it back together. Take apart the larger cable end, Green pin = #2 hole (giggity) and Brown pin = #15 . Blue splices into either red wire (splice in after you put the connector back together so you have slack to play with). Then run your data cable from the OBD2 port through the firewall grommet and plug it into the Bluetooth 4 pin adapter connector.
For my JB4 installation, I purchased the plastic housing for the JB4 card, and then installed the housing just below the plastic cowl.

JB4 plastic all weather enclosure - BurgerTuning.com

It's wedged in there without any additional retention, and the bluetooth module is tie-wrapped to brake vacuum line. The housing has an environmental seal, in case water sneaks into the compartment with the master cylinder, etc.

Attachments

#11 ·
Hi Scary, i'm glad that you are enjoying with yours, i installed the JB1 last week and having fun with the extra kick. The RS is factory set at 15lb, and the SS is set at 9lb, so you are at 18, and i'm at 12, i would like to order the cable and up it one, i was able to get a hold of a non resonated sport exhaust locally, will install tomorrow got at a steal $300 Canadian.

#12 ·
Nice! I haven't noticed much, but I haven't really gotten after the skinny pedal too much. Traffic was crazy this morning, apparently a roofing truck flipped over and a bunch of nails and screws went flying and scattered across the freeway.

With this news, I took an alternate route. No reason to test the 'run-flat' functionality if I don't need to. But... It would make a good excuse to the wife to replace the tires prematurely. XD

#14 ·
Please post your first impressions of the JB4. I am very tempted to grab this opposed to ECUTek for the warranty peace of mind.
I am going to head to the airstrip this afternoon before picking up the kids and get some datalogs.

I looked at the quick 3rd gear pull I did this morning and noticed it was at +4psi, instead of +3psi, and trimmed down to 3 at >5k. I did notice a touch of slow throttle response at a stoplight this morning, but it only happened once for a very brief moment.

I can say this... it feels very close to the difference I felt before and after tuning my WRX. The torque between 2500-4000 is MUCH MUCH MUCH better. However, getting out of the hole still has that moment of hesitation, but like I said, the torque down low is quick and the turbos spool early, which makes up for throttle response lag. My guess is it will work itself out through ECM "learning." I did a negative terminal reset when installing the JB4, so it's probably still confused to have an effin maniac driving for now. XD

With DPs and JB4, you'll find an entirely new car. Wait for that warranty to expire, then hit up a custom tune and sell the JB4. But until that point, IMO, JB4 is the best bang for the buck.

#15 ·
There's a definite difference in overall smoothness with the JB4, plus easy data logging gives peace of mind for me. I have easy access to 93 octane and from what I can tell from logs, there are no issues at +4psi with my RS. I'm pretty sure I'll need to accelerate my tire replacement fund though - rear end breaks loose at will, even with Pilot Super Sports. I'll be lucky to get 12k miles out of them.. heh

#16 ·
I'm going to keep my eyes out for a used JB4. Thanks for posting your feedback!

Did your exhaust note change btw? I am hearing people are seeing that their exhaust note has gotten louder post tune and I am unsure how that's possible. I'm not familiar with how the increase in boost correlates to exhaust volume.

#23 · (Edited)
Looks nice! I'm still waiting on a good damping adjustable coilover for the AWD like the HKS Q50 Hipermax IV GT Coil-overs. To bad they only fit the RWD :(. (Any suggestions welcomed).

I would have liked to installed them with my diff. That's the last thing I want besides the ECUTEK tune. You RWD folks should really look into the HKS Coilovers. They are Jewelry...

You can not only adjust ride height but can adjust dampening. You should set your ride height while you sit in the car using scales and height measurements. There is a shop near by that sets up track cars that does this.

I'm really chomping on the bit for this. It will be a very noticable change unlike the Z1 diff during all my driving.

#24 ·
Looks nice! I'm still waiting on a good damping adjustable coilover for the AWD like the HKS Q50 Hipermax IV GT Coil-overs. To bad they only fit the RWD ?. I would have liked to installed them with my diff. That's the last thing I want besides the ECUTEK tune. You RWD folks should really look into them. Jewelry...

You can not only adjust ride height but can adjust dampening. You should set your ride height while you sit in the car using scales and height measurements. There is a shop near by that sets up track cars that does this.

I'm really chomping on the bit for this. It will be a very noticable change unlike the Z1 diff during all my driving.
I had a similar setup on my WRX. The only problem each had to be adjusted individually... so corner balancing became infinitely easier to accomplish, but also much easier to bugger up. The dampening adjustment was cool at first, but as I have stated numerous times now, I drive like an ass, so I kept it stiff all the time. (inb4: That's what she said)

#25 ·
Lol... you snagged n quoted while I edited.. ..
Yep, agree, but their system is so easy to adjust. I'd just set it up like Sport, then adjust for Fun .. Sport+++.. long trips on the highway I'd loosen it up.

On the HKS it takes all of 2-5 minutes to adjust all 4. They have 30 clicks, just go up from bottom (if you forget where it was last) n go up the # of clicks you remember for each style of driving.

Regardless they will be better than the OEM shocks No issue with OEM other than the .5"- .75" drop I'd like in the future.

#31 ·
Who's exhaust are you running? I like the looks of those tips.

#35 ·
So, here is an uncomfortable secret about those seats. Apparently, there is a plastic piece which exists Recaro omitted from their build, so they're not selling them in America any longer. I bought the last two available on Amazon.

There is nothing structurally unsound about them, just guidelines and hoops Recaro chose to not follow. But................... I want my kids to ride in style. XD

#36 ·
I will soon have 3 (2 pink 1 purple) to give away...all Recaro.

They say child seats have an expiration date. Not sure how much I believe that. Sure, you don't want something 10 years old, but 3 or 4 years old, well...it is still in great shape.

#37 ·
I should probably update my current progress.

I went apeshit crazy and bought all the things (some of the things).

5 Button key bought and programmed... (YAY remote start)
Frozen Boost 118 Installed (YAY Cool Hand Luke y0)
Installed Megan LDPs (because price point was nice and it's a fuckin tube)
3" MBRP with CF tips (had this installed because my garage was not setup)
ECUTeck through Seb at SpecialtyZ in progress

Here's the crap part, dude who installed was a buddy doing sidework. He didn't torque the effin clamps down enough and I lost the axleback in the rain and snow on the freeway. Sounded like a GTR for a few days.

This gave me enough motivation to put my garage together. So alllllllll my tools are put away, organized and I started installing vinyl tile in the garage. :) Which motivated me to have tubing mandrel bent then weld in a custom axleback 3" exhaust with 12" glasspacks and black chrome 3" tips. Sounds mean, but tame. Not the prettiest, but WTF looks at the bottom of your exhaust?!?

BTW guys, gotta JB4 for sale or trade. If ya got a diffuser/duckbill I have a boost controller for ya. XD

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.