Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a new member and I bought my car in Nov 2017 from the dealer.. It came with Bridgestone Potenza P245/40R19 front and P265/35R19 rear tires that are summer run-flat tires. I just got the car serviced at the dealership and the tires need to get replaced. My car did come with a spare tire. I am at 21,000 miles. I would like to stick with summer tires.
I don't care if I get run flat tires or not. What would you recommend? Also, should I get the vehicle aligned when I buy the new tires? It has never had an alignment. It is a Rear-while drive car.
Thank you
Dylan

·
Registered
2020 Q50 RS AWD
79 Posts
Hi, I'm a new member and I bought my car in Nov 2017 from the dealer.. It came with Bridgestone Potenza P245/40R19 front and P265/35R19 rear tires that are summer run-flat tires. I just got the car serviced at the dealership and the tires need to get replaced. My car did come with a spare tire. I am at 21,000 miles. I would like to stick with summer tires.
I don't care if I get run flat tires or not. What would you recommend? Also, should I get the vehicle aligned when I buy the new tires? It has never had an alignment. It is a Rear-while drive car.
Thank you
Dylan
Hey, welcome! Congrats on the new ride.

If want best handling in dry, worst in wet, and quickest tire wear - Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3

Michelin PS4S is probably best balance for Dry/Wet handling performance, and decent tire wear for street use. Continental ExtremeContact Sport is a great alternative to the Michelin with comparable performance (some even prefer it), yet significantly cheaper.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2020 Q50 RS AWD
79 Posts
Thank you
Dylan
Those are all non‐run flats. And def yes to an alignment and Road Force balance when mounting.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Styles said it all. Those are the two best on the market right now. I’ve had great experiences with Toyo, Yokohama, and Hankook as well, but Michelin and Continental are the best on the market right now.

Reactions: styles

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I'm probably one of those skeptics who'd say new tires don't necessarily need alignment - only if there's an uneven wear on the old tires.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
5,377 Posts
I'm probably one of those skeptics who'd say new tires don't necessarily need alignment - only if there's an uneven wear on the old tires.
I agree. If the old tires wore evenly and the car exhibits no pulling to one side I see no reason to get an alignment.

Reactions: q50adix

·
Registered
667 Posts
I disagree. Every time I’ve tried to cheap out and not get an alignment with new tires, I’ve ended up with cupping in the tires, which equates to more new tires way sooner than I should’ve needed them and an alignment. It’s better to pay for the alignment and get the max life out of your tires. In fact, if there’s a Firestone near you, just get a lifetime alignment from them and have an alignment done every 10,000 miles. It’ll pay for itself, and your tires will last twice as long.

Reactions: styles

·
Registered
477 Posts
Best bang for buck in my experience

Continental
All season: DWS 06 Plus
Summer: Extreme Contact Sport

If you want the best of the best and you don't mind spending it

Michelin
All season: Pilot Sport All Season 4
Summer: Pilot Sport 4S

If you're going to the racetrack or drag strip:
Michelin: Pilot Sport Cup 2
Continental: Extreme Contact Force

Another good alternatives for the track:
Hankook RS3 (I've only used the RS3) I think the newest one out right now is the RS4

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have the continental dws06 they are great. I took the stock potenza s001 rtfs off the first week I bought my car. The difference in the potenza and the continentals is insane. This was last weekend by the way. The potenza had a tendency to tram line under medium acceleration and just pull me off the road honestly. I’d never experienced anything like it. They are some of the worst tires I’ve ever used to be honest.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,833 Posts
I have the continental dws06 they are great. I took the stock potenza s001 rtfs off the first week I bought my car. The difference in the potenza and the continentals is insane. This was last weekend by the way. The potenza had a tendency to tram line under medium acceleration and just pull me off the road honestly. I’d never experienced anything like it. They are some of the worst tires I’ve ever used to be honest.
You should try the Dumbflop RFTs if you think the Potenza's are bad.

·
Registered
118 Posts
You should try the Dumbflop RFTs if you think the Potenza's are bad.
I’ve got a set of 4 sitting on some q50 luxe wheels in the garage lol

·
Registered
263 Posts
really solid opinions so far. i'll add in that the Firestone Indy 500s are also a solid choice, especially if budget constraints presents itself. they're actually a rebranded Bridgestone re003 thats sold overseas. its not as fast as a ps4s or conti ecs but its very close and significantly less money. i have a set of indy 500s on my Cobra and a set of conti ecs on the Q50. both good tire choices.

·
Registered
932 Posts
really solid opinions so far. i'll add in that the Firestone Indy 500s are also a solid choice, especially if budget constraints presents itself. they're actually a rebranded Bridgestone re003 thats sold overseas. its not as fast as a ps4s or conti ecs but its very close and significantly less money. i have a set of indy 500s on my Cobra and a set of conti ecs on the Q50. both good tire choices.
Great bang for buck tire!

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I agree on indy 500 being close to ps4s and conti ecs, but only on dry roads. On wet roads, both ps4s and ecs can do up to ~15mph more in my experience.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I agree on indy 500 being close to ps4s and conti ecs, but only on dry roads. On wet roads, both ps4s and ecs can do up to ~15mph more in my experience.
good point, i have forgotten to mention that. i dont generally care about how a summer tire performs in the wet in a performance aspect. so long as i dont hydroplane at 70 on normal roads in the rain, i consider the tire "ok enough", lol.

i fully agree with your observation as thats been exactly mine as well, even though the tires are on different vehicles. its not that the indy 500 is bad in the raim, its just that the other two really are that much better.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
good point, i have forgotten to mention that. i dont generally care about how a summer tire performs in the wet in a performance aspect. so long as i dont hydroplane at 70 on normal roads in the rain, i consider the tire "ok enough", lol.

i fully agree with your observation as thats been exactly mine as well, even though the tires are on different vehicles. its not that the indy 500 is bad in the raim, its just that the other two really are that much better.
100% agree! Indy 500 has a lower hydroplane resistance compared to ps4s and ecs but it's certainly not a point against this tire. Funny you mentioned 70mph, because that was the max speed I ran the Q on indy 500 under heavy downpour before it started to hydroplane (in case someone might ask, the tires were just a few hundred miles old at the time).

·
Registered
932 Posts
So I'll be grabbing new tires next year for my new to me Red Sport wheels. Didn't wanna make a new thread but

It'll be either

Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus or Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4

Looking for pros/cans on which way to go. Price isn't an issue. Just want the the best out of the 2. More leaning towards the PSAS4

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
So I'll be grabbing new tires next year for my new to me Red Sport wheels. Didn't wanna make a new thread but

It'll be either

Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus or Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4

Looking for pros/cans on which way to go. Price isn't an issue. Just want the the best out of the 2. More leaning towards the PSAS4
Assuming the AS4's are similar ride quality as the AS 3 I'd say go for the Conti's, the ride quality and road noise is just a touch too
harsh for me but by the numbers the AS4 edge out the DWS06 in terms of overall performance.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Assuming the AS4's are similar ride quality as the AS 3 I'd say go for the Conti's, the ride quality and road noise is just a touch too
harsh for me but by the numbers the AS4 edge out the DWS06 in terms of overall performance.
By the time I buy them next year, I imagine there will be a AS4+ model out by then, so far everyone I've asked has gone Michelin and said its quieter and they last longer?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts