Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Looking to hardwire my RD to my mirror using a mirror tap on my 2018 Q50 with homelink for garages. There are 4 wires- black, brown, red, and white. Not sure which is the hot ignition and which is the hot wire all the time. It's a lease so I don't want to cause any issues with the other functions of the mirror. Anyone familiar with this set up and if so I would appreciate any help. TIA.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,510 Posts
Brown is the 12 VDC lead that is switched by the ignition. Black is ground.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Is this still relevant?

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,510 Posts
R8 and R9 connector pinouts are slightly different for 2018 in that terminal 10 can have a BR or P wire color code depending on production...whatever that means. The OP indicates there are only 4 wires, two of them being red and white so those aren't the connectors he is accessing to my knowledge. Wiring on this car is a bitch to sort out.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
R8 and R9 connector pinouts are slightly different for 2018 in that terminal 10 can have a BR or P wire color code depending on production...whatever that means. The OP indicates there are only 4 wires, two of them being red and white so those aren't the connectors he is accessing to my knowledge. Wiring on this car is a bitch to sort out.
I think "depending on production" may mean whether or not it has the auto dimming mirror. Yes? U.S. or other?

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,510 Posts
I think "depending on production" may mean whether or not it has the auto dimming mirror. Yes? U.S. or other?
Could be...might not be...who knows?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was unable to mirror tap because none of the red or black pins would fit securely into the connectors and kept falling out. So I ended up buying a flat cord and will run it through the glove box and along the door panel to the mount.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I was unable to mirror tap because none of the red or black pins would fit securely into the connectors and kept falling out. So I ended up buying a flat cord and will run it through the glove box and along the door panel to the mount.
What are you using for pins? I used these. They pushed in through the back and stayed put.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,510 Posts
Mirrortap has four different tap sizes, 0.40", 0.45", 0.60" and 0.75". Which one did you use? If they are falling out, did you try a different size?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mirrortap has four different tap sizes, 0.40", 0.45", 0.60" and 0.75". Which one did you use? If they are falling out, did you try a different size?
I tried all of them and none of them stayed securely. I did not push them in too hard because I was afraid of breaking the pins.

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
2,036 Posts
Why the glove box? Wouldn't you go across the headliner, down the A pillar, and into the driver side fuse box?

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,510 Posts
I tried all of them and none of them stayed securely. I did not push them in too hard because I was afraid of breaking the pins.
They can be tricky to press into place without folding one over. I did what spudhead recommended for my dashcam since my radar detector was already using the MirrorTap. I didn't have to take anything loose either. There's enough room in the headliner seam and under the A pillar trim piece to tuck the wire out of sight down to the fusebox.

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
2,036 Posts
Not the best quality vid and too drawn out but maybe this will help some.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why the glove box? Wouldn't you go across the headliner, down the A pillar, and into the driver side fuse box?
I bought a long flat cigarette lighter plug with 2 usb ports (to plug in my phone charger) and ran it from the socket in center console, under the glovebox, up the passenger pillar and inside the headliner to the point where my mirror is located and the RD is mounted. Only see few inches of wire coming out from the headliner near the mirror. Did not feel comfortable tapping into the fuse box.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They can be tricky to press into place without folding one over. I did what spudhead recommended for my dashcam since my radar detector was already using the MirrorTap. I didn't have to take anything loose either. There's enough room in the headliner seam and under the A pillar trim piece to tuck the wire out of sight down to the fusebox.
Yes. Broke one of the smaller red pins while trying to tap in and bent a black one...so I gave up..😕

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,510 Posts
I bought a long flat cigarette lighter plug with 2 usb ports (to plug in my phone charger) and ran it from the socket in center console, under the glovebox, up the passenger pillar and inside the headliner to the point where my mirror is located and the RD is mounted. Only see few inches of wire coming out from the headliner near the mirror. Did not feel comfortable tapping into the fuse box.
Fuse taps for the fuse box are your friend.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts