Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
949 Posts
Can you try another pull in valet mode and see if the timing advance comes back? That would confirm that it is boost related and car is running into pre-detonation.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
949 Posts
Set the JB4 to Map 8 and log a pull. Map 8 will pull boost down from stock. See if the timing advance comes back under low boost full throttle. That should tell you if it is boost levels that are causing your issue or something else.

If this confirms that it is the boost level and your AFR has looked fine at stock and JB4 enhanced boost levels, then I think it is likely your fuel. Do you have any E85 stations around you? Mixing in some high E content fuel s the preferred method of enhancing your octane vs a booster product. Looking back at the logs above, trims indicate you have plenty of fuel delivery.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
949 Posts
All of these look better than the 1st 2 logs you posted to the thread. Interesting, looks like valet mode only pulls a couple of PSI from stock...thought it might be more. That said, that log looks the best from a timing standpoint. It never drops below 5 except at a shift (which is normal). Even your map zero shows a normal looking curve, just lower than you would like to be. I would take it easy and work this tank of gas down as far as you can. Then go to a different brand top-tier gasoline retailer and fill up. Ideally If you can get any E85, mix 2-3 gallons in with the 91, that would be most definitive way to prove that your just having an issue with poor fuel. I don't know if the octane from a bottle stuff really works...I know it is frowned upon because of possible problems it can cause to the fuel system.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
949 Posts
Would be great if it is just the gas...sucks for you guys stuck with 91...limits what you can get out of the car you paid for! Anyway, let us know how it goes...really hope you can find a reliable solution so you can enjoy your car!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts