Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

2019 Q50 <20k miles - headlight clearcoat peeling - warranty?

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Anthony_Jackson787 
#1 ·
Has anyone warrantied their Q for headlight clearcoat peeling? This seems really unacceptable to me that I'm already seeing it on my 2019.

#2 ·
Do you mind sharing a picture so we can get a better idea of what's going on? Most automakers use a sealer and not any
type of clear-coat on the headlights in order to protect them.

Did you buy the car new or used? Or with any type of optional protections like a clear bra for the front?

Reactions: ptatohed
#3 ·
I bought the 2019 Q50 used, it was a lease return with 12k miles a few months ago. It doesn't have any aftermarket protection.

Whatever it is, it's peeling and I'm guessing it falls within a warranty item. Kinda BS for a 'premium' brand product. This car hasn't impressed me with door and dash rattles and a propensity for the paint to easily chip on the road but I digress.

#4 ·
Yep that definitely looks like clear-coat peeling, makes me wonder if Infiniti started using it again (thought they stopped after 2014) or if it was some
type of dealer specific headlight protection.

In any case you can bring it in and see what the dealership say but I suspect most would will simply argue
its typical wear behavior from being hit with rocks on the highway and won't be covered.

After that you can either have it repaired, replaced with clear bra or simply remove the clear coat, personally I'd just get rid of it.
Rock chips will eat away at it over time no matter what and they are easy enough to maintain with a quick
polish every 3-4 years to keep them looking new.

As for the Door rattles there is a good fix for that in the DIY section, pretty cheap way to silence the noise.

Lastly for the paint its par for the course for most Japanese auto-makers, they tend to go for softer paints
which has its pros and cons it makes repairs and defects easier to remove but a bit more prone
to light damage.

#5 ·
When I was shopping for a used Q50, I noticed lots of cars headlights with clearcoat peeling off even on some 2020s. I don't know if it is Infiniti issue or just California heat. As soon as I got my car, I wrapped it with a clear bra for peace of mind.

#7 ·
Huh I guess Infiniti kept using it for the headlights if you saw multiple with it peeling, I thought they had stopped use it for that very reason when
they redesigned the car in 2014.

It honestly doesn't bother me too much headlights like everything else on the exterior needs regular care if you want them looking nice
I just polish them out quickly when I do my polish and sealing every year for my G.

#6 ·
That black area is under the clear outer lens on my lights. Is what you are seeing "peeling" on the surface of the black area underneath the clear cover?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.