Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have less than 7k miles on my Red Sport. For the last 4-5k miles it’ll randomly lose power. I’ve taken it to the dealer 3 times and they can’t find anything wrong with it. Although, this last time I took it in while it was having the issue and had the service advisor drive it and he finally witnessed it. I left it running because restarting it usually fixes it, but apparently when the tech took it for a drive it was back to normal. It’s not throwing any CEL codes. When I push the accelerator it almost seems like the engine gets bogged down. Feels as if I’m trying to accelerate hard in 6th gear while going 30 mph. It gets so bad it makes it hard to overtake a semi on the freeway unless I fully mash the gas pedal. The dealer just keeps telling me there’s nothing wrong with it even though the service advisor experienced it and said it clearly wasn’t normal. They’ve pretty much said, sorry there’s nothing we can do because when we drive it hooked up to the computer everything is normal. Extremely frustrated because there’s no telling when it will happen. I’ve had it happen two days in a row, but I’ve also taken it on a three day trip where I drove over 500 miles and it only happened once.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,365 Posts
Your car is detecting some fault and going into fail-safe (limp) mode. The symptoms you describe match those of limp mode. If it's a temporary fault, an ignition cycle will clear limp mode and the car will run normally until the fault resurfaces. Sometimes, if a limp mode occurs you can read the DTC if you scan the car before turning off the ignition but don't count on that. There are many things that can cause limp mode in this car so I couldn't begin to guess what the problem is.

What I find troubling is your dealership's indifference to your problem. You may have to contact Infiniti Customer Service and see what they can do to help. You may ultimately have to go the legal route if you can't get satisfaction from Infiniti.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your car is detecting some fault and going into fail-safe (limp) mode. The symptoms you describe match those of limp mode. If it's a temporary fault, an ignition cycle will clear limp mode and the car will run normally until the fault resurfaces. Sometimes, if a limp mode occurs you can read the DTC if you scan the car before turning off the ignition but don't count on that. There are many things that can cause limp mode in this car so I couldn't begin to guess what the problem is.

What I find troubling is your dealership's indifference to your problem. You may have to contact Infiniti Customer Service and see what they can do to help. You may ultimately have to go the legal route if you can't get satisfaction from Infiniti.
I’m going to try getting the service advisor to put in the paperwork that he witnessed the issue, because otherwise all they put is “customer states that... blah blah blah.” The advisor drove it with me in the car and he felt it. So he should put that in the notes. That will help me if I end up having to take the legal route.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I’m going to try getting the service advisor to put in the paperwork that he witnessed the issue, because otherwise all they put is “customer states that... blah blah blah.” The advisor drove it with me in the car and he felt it. So he should put that in the notes. That will help me if I end up having to take the legal route.
Good idea.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,365 Posts
If it is in writing, it doesn't exist.

·
Registered
84 Posts
All these threads about limp mode have given me trepidation.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,365 Posts
All these threads about limp mode have given me trepidation.
Do you think other modern cars don't have similar protection systems?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do you think other modern cars don't have similar protection systems?
No. I'm not commenting from naivety, just fear it'll happen to me.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
9,365 Posts
No. I'm not commenting from naivety, just fear it'll happen to me.
It could happen to any of us. I don't worry about things that could possibly happen though. Just the ones that do happen.

Reactions: will1066

·
Registered
3 Posts
2019 RS here, purchased new, has 5400 miles and has been doing the exact same thing. Can practically floor it, and nothing happens and then 7-10 seconds later car takes off like a bat out of hell... Service manager has driven and witnessed, even took a video. No codes, even without recycling ignition. Totally random....

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
In my almost four (4) years of driving my '17 Q60S, I've had this "lack of pedal response" happen on a few occasions. Apparently this issue still afflicts even the MY2020 Qs. My solution has always been to pull into a parking lot and turn-off the car completely, and then restart. I've had 100% success with restoring pedal response. Note: I installed the BMS Pedal Tuner, which provides adjustable gain of the pedal position transducer, and I think this has helped. Weirdly, I had it happen once right from the get-go when leaving my neighborhood a few months ago, so the Pedal Tuner is not a cure-all, but I'm still happy with its performance. Unfortunately, for those with FEB-equipped Qs, the BMS Pedal Tuner is not compatible.

My observation is the "lack of pedal response" is independent of whether your Q is on its stock tune or Ecutek-tuned, and/or equipped with a Pedal Tuner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In my almost four (4) years of driving my '17 Q60S, I've had this "lack of pedal response" happen on a few occasions. Apparently this issue still afflicts even the MY2020 Qs. My solution has always been to pull into a parking lot and turn-off the car completely, and then restart. I've had 100% success with restoring pedal response. Note: I installed the BMS Pedal Tuner, which provides adjustable gain of the pedal position transducer, and I think this has helped. Weirdly, I had it happen once right from the get-go when leaving my neighborhood a few months ago, so the Pedal Tuner is not a cure-all, but I'm still happy with its performance. Unfortunately, for those with FEB-equipped Qs, the BMS Pedal Tuner is not compatible.

My observation is the "lack of pedal response" is independent of whether your Q is on its stock tune or Ecutek-tuned, and/or equipped with a Pedal Tuner.
Yes....it always resets when restarting the car...this is a daily occurrence and completely unacceptable for a $62k vehicle. I won’t lie...this is my third Infiniti and it’s been about a year of dealing with it to which dealer has no clue...and I’m honestly wishing I had bought the Audi s4 instead 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 - 12 of 12 Posts