Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Jaguar XE, had 2017 Red Sport 400, 17 Silver Sport, 14 Hybrid and 14 Base 3.7.
1,537 Posts
So someone is leaking info, so they had to correct the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
LOL...possibly!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Enough that Toyota brought back the Supra for that specific need and Toyota was straight forward about it.
Toyota brought the new Supra to market, because they are very successful in selling vehicles and are not in the state that Nissan / Infiniti are in. Because Toyota was in a stronger position, they could invest in a new vehicle and a partnership with BMW to execute it. So, I'm not sure I see how your reference to the Supra relates to my question I asked regarding sales and profitability.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
@twin_snails mention the V38, as in the (part of the) code-name for the next-gen's platform; the current gen Q50's platform has V37 in its code-name.
Right, but that doesn't necessarily mean a change to the VR38 engine.

·
Registered
2018 Jaguar XE, had 2017 Red Sport 400, 17 Silver Sport, 14 Hybrid and 14 Base 3.7.
1,537 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Toyota brought the new Supra to market, because they are very successful in selling vehicles and are not in the state that Nissan / Infiniti are in. Because Toyota was in a stronger position, they could invest in a new vehicle and a partnership with BMW to execute it. So, I'm not sure I see how your reference to the Supra relates to my question I asked regarding sales and profitability.
What I want to convey is that Toyota makes smarter decisions and listens to their customers. As a customer, I want a car that can be modded. If what Infiniti produces doesn’t interest me, as a consumer and there are perhaps more ppl like me, don’t you think Nissan/Infiniti would ought to listen? I was fooled to think that q50 RS was such a car until I realized that even though the car is nice is neither a true Sports car or a car that can be heavily modded or even lightly modded without issues. Tbh, I have no idea what’s the target audience for the RS 400 ... the younger generation drive these cars hard, which the cars are not going to last and older folks don’t really care for them. So, what’s the segment red sport attracts if it’s not the younger generation?

Bottom line, all these mishaps from Infiniti for example will cost them sales. Customers now days want specific features in their cars and the segment I’m in, is to be able to have some fun and modd the car if I so choose.

·
Registered
743 Posts
The Supra will sit on sales lots gathering dust and costing dealerships plenty of money for the space and interest on the vehicle.

Infiniti has invested heavily in the future. Semi autonomous vehicles and electrification will dominate sales and pay off for Infiniti in the future.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nope....notta....no-thing....complete radio silence and not for the lack of trying:(

I've been trying to bait @Carmaker1 out from his silence here on this forum, to no avail. He has been posting on the Lexus Enthusiasts Forum; although, he had only mentioned INFINITI in passing - nothing ground breaking.

Perhaps, @BigHeadClan has snuffed something out.

Good luck on the purchase(y)....it will be your luck (and my sincerest sympathies for you) that those idiots in Yokohama would announce details for an MY21 debut at the time of your purchase.
Same here...lol. I google about once a week to see if any other details have leaked out, to no avail. I would love it if you could goad @Carmaker1 into doing another info drop like he's done in the past. I am still having a hard time believing that the VR30 is just going to be dumped from Infiniti's lineup in the forthcoming electrification era, being that it's such a new engine.

Thanks! I'm at a point where I am just going to pull the trigger because the future has a lot of unknowns at this point, and right now, I know I can get the car I want. Even if they announce that MY21 is retaining the current platform.

I still do not think that a 100% electrified platform is the answer. There are people like us that are always going to want an internal combustion engine and do mods. Basically, with electric, mods beyond anything cosmetic, go the way of the dodo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I think we can see a huge rise in hybrid before manufacturers completely switch to 100% electric within their brands. Anyway a bit away from the platform itself , I'd also like to see a revised VR30. This is still new engine with a lot of potential, however being the first itieration, it is expected to have some issues. It has been 4 years since the engine has been released and it is now also available in Japan. Hoping we can see a new variant/or updates to this.

I personally would like to see:
-Resolvement of belt issue/ tensioner
-revised turbos / larger turbos
-Upgraded cooling system for us customers is hotter areas (I'm i Texas)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I highly doubt that the engineers at Infiniti didn’t see the turbo cooling issues coming, as evidenced by their attempt to improve the cooling on the red sport model which btw they failed miserably to accomplish. But if you ask me, it looks like they cut corners everywhere they could to save money regardless of the drivability and performance of the car. For this reason Infiniti lost me as a customer and sadly I bought a boat load of cars from them over the years. Cutting corners to this degree of silliness its just bad business. My advice to Infiniti would be to rethink their strategy of trying to gain market share at any cost and concentrate on quality and wants of their customers instead of producing inferior cars and pretending these cars are great because they are not.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I highly doubt that the engineers at Infiniti didn’t see the turbo cooling issues coming, as evidenced by their attempt to improve the cooling on the red sport model which btw they failed miserably to accomplish. But if you ask me, it looks like they cut corners everywhere they could to save money regardless of the drivability and performance of the car. For this reason Infiniti lost me as a customer and sadly I bought a boat load of cars from them over the years. Cutting corners to this degree of silliness its just bad business. My advice to Infiniti would be to rethink their strategy of trying to gain market share at any cost and concentrate on quality and wants of their customers instead of producing inferior cars and pretending these cars are great because they are not.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Hopefully, the newly minted leadership are keen to reverse the manufacturing processes (and the push for volume) that has led Nissan's (INFINITI's) decline in quality-built products. That has been the message ever since Saikawa took over in late 2017 and the new management have been echoing the same policy....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I agree with you on this one. I think what was holding them back was the alliance, and unclear direction. I always tell my friends this but even when Nissan /Renault went through tough times, they still delivered a Twin Turbo V6, which a lot for competitors do not have in this class, especially with the price range. So if this is at their worst, I am looking forward to what will come, with new strategy and focusing on quality and new products versus aggressive expansion, as the new CEO mentions. Split from considering split from Renault as mentioned in the news would help I believe.

Currently, Nissan is now in full business sustainability mode. They will do what it takes as a business to stay relevant and have to deliver products that consumers want whether its tech or performance(this has always been in their DNA anyway). So I'm not too worried about them. I'm sure they'll deliver some good stuff.

Few remember Nissan is one and still is of the most innovative car companies in the world when it comes to RnD, they also have many first to market technologies and systems.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
From the article linked below:

Nissan hasn’t launched a completely new dedicated electric vehicle in nearly 10 years.

That’s all set to change soon with the introduction of not just one or two new EVs, but an entire new family of them—and potentially, by the middle of the decade, more than a dozen models globally across Nissan, its Infiniti luxury brand, and its Renault and Mitsubishi alliance partners.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Need to think about the practicality of an EV. You need to have a garage and a proper setup to charge (50Amp 240V).

Charging is still quite impractical and takes too long.

Manufacturers need to come up with an industry standard battery and battery packs. You can then drive to a station, unlock a side door between the bottom of the doors and the bottom of the car...think of it as a long rectange on both sides of the car or on just one side of the car, remove the used battery and slide in the new battery pack or packs.

This process should not take more than 5 minutes. This would allow more people to go electric.

Reactions: Q602B

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Need to think about the practicality of an EV. You need to have a garage and a proper setup to charge (50Amp 240V).

Charging is still quite impractical and takes too long.

Manufacturers need to come up with an industry standard battery and battery packs. You can then drive to a station, unlock a side door between the bottom of the doors and the bottom of the car...think of it as a long rectange on both sides of the car or on just one side of the car, remove the used battery and slide in the new battery pack or packs.

This process should not take more than 5 minutes. This would allow more people to go electric.
Nissan's series-hybrid EV implementation want require charging. The small engine will act a power-charge generator for the battery. IIRC, we will see these before Nissan release another full EV solution.

·
Registered
743 Posts
From the article linked below:

Nissan hasn’t launched a completely new dedicated electric vehicle in nearly 10 years.

That’s all set to change soon with the introduction of not just one or two new EVs, but an entire new family of them—and potentially, by the middle of the decade, more than a dozen models globally across Nissan, its Infiniti luxury brand, and its Renault and Mitsubishi alliance partners.

Absolutely awesome and outstanding post.

The reason Infiniti has been slow with new model roll outs is the tremendous amount of money for electrification R&D. Shocking that so many are not able to understand this.

Reactions: Q602B
41 - 60 of 112 Posts