Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Autoblog with reported information on the (pending) next-gen Z car....which may (my opinion only) have some Q60 implications:

"From a powertrain perspective, we’re told that a version of the 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6 from the Infiniti Q50/Q60 400 Red Sport will be pulled for duty. That engine is paired with a nine-speed automatic transmission only right now, but we’re told a manual transmission will be offered alongside the automatic. As a reminder, Nissan did pair the 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6 with a manual in a 370Z SEMA show car previously, but it still hasn’t seen a production application."

·
Premium Member
2,392 Posts
Z-Car...what an appropriate nickname (ZZZZZZZZZZZ-Car is more like it). I have a hard time believing that the Z sells in any sort of numbers that justify a next generation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I personally would like to see:
-Resolvement of belt issue/ tensioner
-revised turbos / larger turbos
-Upgraded cooling system for us customers is hotter areas (I'm i Texas)
Didn't they resolve the belt tensioner issue as well as the turbo issue? I seem to remember reading that some here were having turbos replaced under warranty and that they included a new part number. Larger would be better for sure. It would be nice if they weren't pushing them close to the edge of the efficiency curve. Would be nice to have a bit more headroom in tunes, but then trans becomes the issue.

@babyskyline Do you have any of the upgraded AMS, Frozen Boost or Burger cooling equipment? I'm already planning for the AMX HX, Coolant expansion tank at a minimum, but my car's not going to be here until June probably.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Autoblog with reported information on the (pending) next-gen Z car....which may (my opinion only) have some Q60 implications:

"From a powertrain perspective, we’re told that a version of the 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6 from the Infiniti Q50/Q60 400 Red Sport will be pulled for duty. That engine is paired with a nine-speed automatic transmission only right now, but we’re told a manual transmission will be offered alongside the automatic. As a reminder, Nissan did pair the 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6 with a manual in a 370Z SEMA show car previously, but it still hasn’t seen a production application."

Interesting about the 9AT, but then again, they're kind of being forced to. I can't imagine that all of the flack about the 7AT has gone unnoticed at Nissan, or at least I hope it hasn't. If the V37 continues on into MY21, I wonder what the odds of them adding it into the Q would be. It wouldn't be hard if they already have it in the Z Mule...maybe a revised TCM, but doesn't make sense to really do it on a sun-setting model. A MY21 V37 Q50 is an if though...but also a possibility given the conjecture around a replacement not happening until MY22. Really hard to say at this point.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Z-Car...what an appropriate nickname (ZZZZZZZZZZZ-Car is more like it). I have a hard time believing that the Z sells in any sort of numbers that justify a next generation.
The Z has never been a volume seller in NA but it's sales usually hit around 7-15K per year, which may not justify a car on it's own but it's why the G35 (now Q50) was created in the first place. It's entire purpose was to help offset R&D costs of the 350Z by building multiple cars out of the same platform and by appealing to the widest number of people possible. Nissan learned it's lesson with the 300ZX when it tried to combine the luxury and performance into one car, it ended up be really expensive with very small margins.

So long as there isn't another down-turn in the economy when the Z releases (happened in 08 and why its sales tanked)
a new Z car should be warmly welcomed by the community.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Spot on. Would be a total waste of R&D in today’s automotive world. Sometimes things just need to die with a dignified death.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Well, @Carmaker1 has chimed in on the Q50, and it ain't good news IMO: (checkout the comments section in this linked article)

Hopefully, he is wrong on this occasion since it seems that Nissan is potentially re-thinking the next-gen Z.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Well, @Carmaker1 has chimed in on the Q50, and it ain't good news IMO: (checkout the comments section in this linked article)

Hopefully, he is wrong on this occasion since it seems that Nissan is potentially re-thinking the next-gen Z.
I also hope he is wrong.... FWD EV... Quoted from @Carmaker1 's comment:

Your comment can be taken in so many ways, because I find it interesting in being both right and wrong at the same time.

The G35 and FX were in the pipeline in 2000, but not yet on the market.

The G35 had been already shown in private to dealers and media in 1999 as a production prototype, while the final FX wasn't shown until 2001 dealer meetings and then released January 24, 2003.

Unique and forward thinking tech-laden vehicle, that was the prototypical sports car in a crossover body before any X6 existed.

G35 took over 7 years to launch from 1994 planning to release in March 2002. Money woes in the 90s hampered plans for 1999 intro of V35 sedan.

The interior quality of these would have been much better at launch in 2002-03 if not for Renault adding some 11th hour changes.

Sadly though, Q50 (once G20t, G30t, G37) is going south next gen. FWD EV.

Gosh I hope this is not true :/

·
Registered
454 Posts
I don't get it. Are they going to build off the Altima/Maxima platform and convert it to an EV? Or, building a FWD platform from the ground up just for the Q?

With the new Z around the corner, the VR will become more popular and I think will turn more eyes on the Q50. I just wish they can continue and provide refreshes similar to what they are doing with the Q (Skyline) overseas...new tails, bumper cover, etc.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not encouraging news @Q602B I wish @Carmaker1 would drop some deets on which MY the new gen is arriving. From what he's saying, the VR30 as an Infiniti engine sounds like it's going to be done. That and whether the current iteration lives on another year or two and gets the 9AT. Going to speak with my sales consultant tomorrow and see what I can get her to say. Although I'm sure they have a vested interest in creating urgency and is likely to go with well, we don't know. We'll see. I bought my G37 from her so might as well get the Q from her as well.

Going 100% some form of electric is risky for them. Not everyone wants that and pretty sure they're going to alienate the remainder of us enthusiasts they have left. Disappointing.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Q602B, will you please copy and paste whatever was stated in that article. It is not a secured site, but you seem to have gone there already.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Q602B, will you please copy and paste whatever was stated in that article. It is not a secured site, but you seem to have gone there already.
User Comments
PUGPROUD
Three days more like it!
PUGPROUD (View Profile)
POSTED ON 1/20/2020 2:48:31 PM | REPLY TO THIS COMMENT | VOTES: -2
dlin
Sad... back in 2000 Infiniti was up and coming, with G and FX everywhere on the streets. 2 gen later they are gone
dlin (View Profile)
POSTED ON 1/20/2020 3:06:52 PM | REPLY TO THIS COMMENT | VOTES: 2
Carmaker1
Your comment can be taken in so many ways, because I find it interesting in being both right and wrong at the same time.

The G35 and FX were in the pipeline in 2000, but not yet on the market.

The G35 had been already shown in private to dealers and media in 1999 as a production prototype, while the final FX wasn't shown until 2001 dealer meetings and then released January 24, 2003.

Unique and forward thinking tech-laden vehicle, that was the prototypical sports car in a crossover body before any X6 existed.

G35 took over 7 years to launch from 1994 planning to release in March 2002. Money woes in the 90s hampered plans for 1999 intro of V35 sedan.

The interior quality of these would have been much better at launch in 2002-03 if not for Renault adding some 11th hour changes.

— Carmaker1 (View Profile)
POSTED ON 1/20/2020 4:38:57 PM | | VOTES: 2
Carmaker1

To add, in 2000 the G35 was making the rounds much more behind closed doors and styling decisions were being made for the FX.

In the summer of 2000, concept car version was complete for '01 NAIAS, but they went back and changed so many elements, it become an entirely different car by December 2000.
— Carmaker1 (View Profile)
POSTED ON 1/20/2020 4:51:28 PM | | VOTES: 2
NewQ
Maybe not 2000 exactly, but certainly the early 2000s had a series of memorable products from Infiniti.

Between the bionic cheetah FX, the BMW-beating G, and the under-appreciated 3rd generation Q45 (my first car, by the way), they had a good thing going.

Now, you have an aging lineup, shuffling along. The model portfolio of Infiniti now seems to consist of ancient warmed over versions of good ideas that haven't kept pace with the rest of the industry, cancelled winners, and new product that's uninspired or borrowed from other companies.

It's unfortunate that a marque with such promise has come to this.
NewQ (View Profile)
POSTED ON 1/20/2020 9:51:45 PM | | VOTES: 3
MDarringer
Carlos Shitbag ruined Nissan.

Nissan needs to kill the CVT right now.

The Versa (possibly), Maxima, Frontier (possibly), and Titan all need to go. If they could replace the Frontier with something competitive, then fine. Nissan does not need the Versa and and Sentra. Pick one and focus.

"Rogue" is a dumb name. Why must that name afflict TWO models?

The Z needs to be reinvented as an everyday sports car like the Mustang.

The GTR needs to be reinvented as a C7 Corvette replacement.

Both need massively revised price points. They simply are not worth their prices.

Styling has to do an about-face. The Z should be styled like the 240Z. The Sentra should evoke the 510.

Hey, here's a cray-cray. Kill the Sentra and replace it with an affordable RWD sedan called the 510.

Consider repositioning the Altima--with a new name--as a PHEV sedan with an EV version both at current Altima pricing.

QUALITY CONTROL
MDarringer (View Profile)
POSTED ON 1/20/2020 7:13:37 PM | REPLY TO THIS COMMENT | VOTES: 0
NewQ
Okay, we get it. You're passionate about NISMO products (?).
NewQ (View Profile)
POSTED ON 1/20/2020 9:48:26 PM | | VOTES: 3
MDarringer
No I'm passionate at calling bullshit what it is. The GTR is a nice $60K car that costs double to triple its worth. The Z gives you Mustang Ecoboost performance for GT pricing. Neither are worth it.

Performance sells, but it has to come with tremendous value.
POSTED ON 1/20/2020 9:56:10 PM | | VOTES: -1
SuperCarEnthusiast
Infniti has had it!
SuperCarEnthusiast (View Profile)
POSTED ON 1/20/2020 11:02:51 PM | REPLY TO THIS COMMENT | VOTES: 1
TomM
THe Average American Car Buyer CANNOT AFFORD the Average American New CAR. AS the loans get longer - people start to get upset about reliability issues that they would have ignored in the Past. And there are still problems with the cost of repairs when they CAN be fixed.

Both VW and Nissan (AS well as a number of other European Brands) have become money pits for the people whose 6 year loan will not have warranty repairs along with it. Reliability is a major issue and THese two are just horrendous. ANd if you are STUCK with it for 2-3 years - you will not return to try again for that brand. Funny - it was not long ago that BMW was an example of good engineering - now it is the poster boy for CHEAPER Junk parts and being the money pit after the warranty is over. THe Plastic Coolant Pump is just one example of an expensive CHEAP part.
TomM (View Profile)
POSTED ON 1/21/2020 6:01:13 AM | REPLY TO THIS COMMENT | VOTES: 3
MDarringer
And Nissan has the terrorist from Lebanon to thank for the decimation of its quality.
POSTED ON 1/21/2020 8:46:14 AM | | VOTES: -1
cidflekken
I remember fondly the days when my Pathfinder was my sweet ride. Or my 350Z was my new sweet ride. And the Xterra was going to be a second car. Or the G35 Coupe was destined to be in my garage with an FX as a second car. No more. There really isn't a single car in the Nissan/Infiniti lineup that perks my interest.
cidflekken (View Profile)
POSTED ON 1/21/2020 2:09:20 PM | REPLY TO THIS COMMENT | VOTES: 1
Carmaker1
Wow, I never would've imagined that. I wouldn't pegged you as someone that cared for any of their past products, since it's pretty much "The Best or Nothing" :) with you, so color me shocked.

I had been a part of Nissan for 10 years.

My father had bought roughly $2 million worth of Nissan shares in 2004, as a means to get us a foothold into the automotive industry and from being so impressed with Nissan's 2001 "turnaround".

Over time, it grew and those shares were given to immediate family members (received mine in 2009).

Last year, I sold all remaining shares ahead of the Nissan crash and so did my family, losing so many privileges that came from collectively owning millions of USD in Nissan.

No longer get to see anything new nor get briefings.

The so many promised products, cancelled model programs, endless delays and design proposals, I was so sick of it.

The Infiniti brand is becoming way too experimental going forward and I don't think they're going to succeed like they expect against Tesla with FWD EVs.
Carmaker1 (View Profile)
POSTED ON 1/22/2020 2:00:41 AM | | VOTES: 1
Carmaker1
**and those shares were shared amongst other immediate family members.
Carmaker1 (View Profile)
POSTED ON 1/22/2020 2:02:30 AM | | VOTES: 1
MDarringer
So with $2M of mad money you decided to buy stock in something and Nissan was your go-to choice? That made me laugh.
POSTED ON 1/22/2020 8:17:05 AM | | VOTES: 1

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
So it seems that @Carmaker1 does not have the access he once had (going by his latest post in the copied string above) as he and his family have sold all of their Nissan shares.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Let's pray the new Z gets put into production and will share the VR. I just want the VR30 to continue support. The Q parts will be around for a bit given it was in production from 13' - 20' at least.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is almost zero chance Infiniti will drop the VR30 from it's lineup so soon after it began production.

Most likely Infiniti has designed the future chassis in such a way that it can accommodate both the VR30 & VC-T Engine or it will
spin off two variants of the platform. One with a focus on performance and the other being more economy focused.

Either way the VR30 is a longitudinally oriented engine that is RWD by default meaning we will likely see a new transmission
as well as the CVT isn't suited to high power applications and would present a lot of packaging challenges for Infiniti.
I know cvt transmissions have such a bad reputation but I see guys modifying the engine to 400 hp plus and not doing anything to the transmission. So if there is more detail on that comment I would like to know what are the limitations of cvt?

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I know cvt transmissions have such a bad reputation but I see guys modifying the engine to 400 hp plus and not doing anything to the transmission. So if there is more detail on that comment I would like to know what are the limitations of cvt?
???? - The CVT isn't used in the Q50/60 it uses a traditional 7-Speed transmission from JATCO that dates back to 2009, it was simply reinforced to take the additional torque the VR30 motor produces.

The Nissan line for the most part uses a CVT with the exception of some notable entries like the 370Z and a few of the larger SUV/Trucks,
as for exact tolerances I have no idea as Nissan may not use the same model/Generation of CVT in all of their cars.

Note: Below are the maximum tolerances that I've observed for people who've been tuned on each platform and it's unclear
how the transmissions life-span or realiability is affected over the long-term.

7s-AT (2009-2015) - Approx 400WHP/350WTQ.
7s-AT (2016-2020) - Approx. 500WHP/500WTQ.
CVT (2016-2020) - Approx. 280WHP/280WTQ.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
I also hope he is wrong.... FWD EV... Quoted from @Carmaker1 's comment:

Gosh I hope this is not true :/
Based on later comment where he more or less confirms share holders have been left in the dark for a pretty long period of time, with Ghosn gone
I think a lot of his post is speculation and probably some frustration coming through.

The recent Z news has almost guaranteed that the Q50/60 will carry on the FM platform with the VR30 for at least another 5 years,
after which time I suspect the new GT-R will be ready and on it's own dedicated performance EV/Hybrid platform which I suspect
the Z/Q50/Q60 will join it on to offset Production costs as much as possible.

I don't get it. Are they going to build off the Altima/Maxima platform and convert it to an EV? Or, building a FWD platform from the ground up just for the Q?

With the new Z around the corner, the VR will become more popular and I think will turn more eyes on the Q50. I just wish they can continue and provide refreshes similar to what they are doing with the Q (Skyline) overseas...new tails, bumper cover, etc.
Nissan's new platform is called E-Power and is a ground up new platform for hybrids and Pure EV's that is FWD based. It will underpin most of the new Infiniti cars going forward,
production costs and low margins will likely keep most of the Nissan lineup on the platform currently underpinning the Altima.

The Leaf and Maxima are the only cars in Nissan's line up that will likely make the jump to the new E-Power platform over the next 3 years.
I suspect Nissan will start moving them to the platform in bulk after about 5 years once costs come down.

Not encouraging news @Q602B I wish @Carmaker1 would drop some deets on which MY the new gen is arriving. From what he's saying, the VR30 as an Infiniti engine sounds like it's going to be done. That and whether the current iteration lives on another year or two and gets the 9AT. Going to speak with my sales consultant tomorrow and see what I can get her to say. Although I'm sure they have a vested interest in creating urgency and is likely to go with well, we don't know. We'll see. I bought my G37 from her so might as well get the Q from her as well.

Going 100% some form of electric is risky for them. Not everyone wants that and pretty sure they're going to alienate the remainder of us enthusiasts they have left. Disappointing.
Never a bad idea to see if you can probe for some more information, but as I said above it's unlikely the Q50/60 will make the jump to the new platform
this soon after the Z redesign was announced.

Let's pray the new Z gets put into production and will share the VR. I just want the VR30 to continue support. The Q parts will be around for a bit given it was in production from 13' - 20' at least.
Nissan typically aims for 10-20 year life cycle's with their motors, I can't see them dropping production on the VR30 only 4 years
after it's debut.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Infiniti Electrification is vast and will come much sooner than later.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Wow... I haven't posted in a while!

I am not sure what platform the next Q50 will be on... but from what I've been seeing online the next sedan to debut will be one based on one of the concepts they've been showing. I'm just setting my mind on everything is shifting to the new EV platform, except the upcoming QX60 (next in line to be redesigned and rides on a modified version of the current platform it shares with the Pathfinder. Seems no more CVT in it as well!) and the QX80.

Though the new platform seems to be FWD in its base form, I think every electrified Infiniti will be AWD and will have motors on each axle. From what I heard it seems it can also be RWD... but they're going with AWD for Infiniti's. Honestly, I think the only thing we'll be losing is the classic RWD proportions/long hoods... but if I get over myself, the recent concepts are still gorgeous.

I personally think the huge shift Infiniti is making to electrified vehicles is a HUGE risk and it honestly scares me... BUT after renting a Tesla Model 3 Performance for a day through Turo... I have to say I am SOLD on the power delivery of EVs. And to say the car was so heavy, it handled some Cali mountain roads VERY well! I felt more confident in it than the Q60 Red Sport I rented the year before.

If Infiniti can get anywhere close to that level of power and handling I experienced in the Model 3 Performance, AND eliminate the need to plug it in with their E-Power tech... they could seriously have a winner on their hand. Technically, you're getting all the benefits of an EV... yet you won't have to adjust your lifestyle and have to deal with charging/charging stations and continue to just go and fill up at a gas station, but way less often. It all just really depends on how people respond... and I think that's why they're taking somewhat long on this shift, because A LOT of the success is going to depend on how they market it! And we all know Infiniti royally SUCKs at that! If they can nail the marketing to emphasize the pure bliss and exhilaration of instant EV torque, superb handling due to the low center of gravity because of the battery back down low, AND your lifestyle doesn't have to change if you don't want to because we offer this E-Power option. They truly have a winner.

As far as us enthusiasts... if we choose to stick with the Infiniti brand, we'll just have to be open minded because RWD V6 cars are simply not the future of Infiniti. I was honestly bummed when they first started announcing that they were shifting to a FWD based AWD EV future. BUT after driving that Tesla... I'm excited about any EV that puts down that level of power. Its almost scary the first couple of times (it honestly makes you let off the accelerator, I had to build up confidence in myself to just completely floor it!). Then add in the fact that I may not need to worry about charging it...

So with all that said, I am still excited for the next Q50... whichever direction they decide to take it! I would love for the VR30 to stick around, but there is something that's different that can be just as powerful... if not more! And I'm open to it. Please deliver Infiniti! PLEASE!

My suggestion... find a way to test drive a Tesla... and you'll get it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Stick around and post more @NissLover (it seems like a lot of the original gangstas have moved on:()

61 - 80 of 107 Posts