Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
With Infiniti pulling out of Europe and Australia/New Zealand therefore less revenue for new development. I doubt there will be another sedan or sports sedan to replace the Q50 or dedicated coupe Q60 platform. Most likely it would some sort of SUV crossover that people loves to buy.

Infiniti might make a sports SUV instead of a dedicated sedan underpinning. Look at Audi, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Maserati, Lambo and Aston Martin. They are throwing development money at SUV not sports sedans.

The VR30 will most likely go into the next version of the 370Z which is overdue for a replacement, but then again not many people want to buy coupe or sports cars!

Large displacement engines will be a buried with the dinosaurs because in 2020 all new cars sold in the Euro must average no more than 95g/km of C02 which will means 4 cylinders turbo and hybrids. The current Q50 hybrid spews out 160g/km of CO2 and the diesel 114g/km of CO2. Hence this may be why Infiniti pulled out of Europe as they don't yet have a hybrid or electric in their lineup yet to meet 2020 CO2 targets.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
I'll never understand the fascination with SUV's.
It makes sense from the common individual perspective.
SUV's /CUV's have comparable or even better MPG to sedan counter parts, have more room and are more practical. One could argue they are more safe as well.

Not to mention comparable in price range too

That being said, I do prefer Sedans.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I actually have an MDX, it's nice for trips but it's really not that big of a deal to me. A van would work better but I won't drive a van even though I know it's more practical. My wife also refuses. What's baffling to me are all the people with no kids or single with SUV's. I think it's stupid.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I actually have an MDX, it's nice for trips but it's really not that big of a deal to me. A van would work better but I won't drive a van even though I know it's more practical. My wife also refuses. What's baffling to me are all the people with no kids or single with SUV's. I think it's stupid.
Not really, the same could be said for someone that is single with no kids that have a sedan. The garage space for a bunch of these SUV/CUVs are the same as a sedan, plus you get a higher seating position, more space for cargo plus easier ingress and egress.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Not really, the same could be said for someone that is single with no kids that have a sedan. The garage space for a bunch of these SUV/CUVs are the same as a sedan, plus you get a higher seating position, more space for cargo plus easier ingress and egress.
Well stated!

There are a plethora of reasons people like SUV’s. Regions where the weather is challenging is a very good reason people buy them. We shop weekly at Costco and always take the SUV over the Q50. Not to mention hauling simple items like large screen tv’s, small furniture, landscaping items and whatever will fit in a much larger space than any car has to offer.

·
Registered
760 Posts
The hauler

Attachments

·
Registered
760 Posts
one could argue they are less safe as well
Foolish argument. SUV’s are generally larger and much safer. The higher view alone provides superior forward vision.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,992 Posts
SUV's are more prone to rollovers compared to other cars according to studies by the NHTSA.

They found that while the stability of a low-riding sedan increases as the number of passengers increases, the opposite occurs in high-riding SUVs. They become more unstable as the passenger load increases because of the higher center of gravity and can roll over more easily during hard corning/emergency maneuvers.

SUVs have come a long way from the Suzuki Samuari debacle but physics is physics.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
SUV's in comparison to a car in that same category will take longer to stop and will not be as stable or as quick to respond to an evasive maneuver. Also, people get a false sense of security "riding high in their big vehicle." Most of the time they don't understand how to modify their driving habits to match the reduced braking and steering ability. I've seen countless morons tail-gating and driving way too fast in inclement weather with their "safer" SUV.

Yes, I understand their are high-performance versions of SUV's that can brake and steer better than your average car. However, the vast majority of people are not buying those.

Reactions: BTinAZ

·
Registered
760 Posts
Lol...Let’s be real honest here. I would prefer my loved one in a SUV and most of the sane members on this forum and clearly most of the country would agree. SUV’s and pickups account for 70% of vehicle sales in the United States.

SUV’s used to be more prone to rollovers in the past. Tremendous advances in safety for all vehicles including SUV’s has made them extremely safe and therefore much less likely to rollover. In 1999 the rollover argument would of made sense as one of the articles suggest.

“And, according to a recent research study, SUVs have been shown to be much safer than sedans. In fact, an SUV driver or passenger is at least 50 percent more likely to survive a car crash without suffering serious injuries than an individual riding in a sedan. ... The same doesn't appear to be the case with SUVs though.”

·
Registered
136 Posts
This article from Autowise is indicating that the MY21 Q50 will be largely carry over with few changes and minor trim updates. We've heard rumors of that, but seems like some concrete evidence is starting to take shape. The delay of the QX55 lends further credence to that being the case. Infiniti, put the 9AT in your lineup for 2021. That alone would probably add a little shot of adrenaline to sales.

Reactions: Jeffpeds

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
Looks like internally Nissan is doing what it takes to have Renault lower their stakes.
Inside Nissan, a Renewed Push to Get Renault to Cut Its Stake
Nissan won't be splitting from Reanult any time soon, they will move to take back some of their independence but the EV platform
that is upcoming and will under-pin every Nissan product going forward was co-developed with the Alliance

Splitting from Reanult now would put Nissan is a very unfavorable position and set themselves up for failure with the ever closer shift
to electrification and hybrid cars.

I'd take what bloomberg says with more than a pinch of salt in this instance, especially since Nissan has outright
Stated they have no plans to split at this time.

This article from Autowise is indicating that the MY21 Q50 will be largely carry over with few changes and minor trim updates. We've heard rumors of that, but seems like some concrete evidence is starting to take shape. The delay of the QX55 lends further credence to that being the case. Infiniti, put the 9AT in your lineup for 2021. That alone would probably add a little shot of adrenaline to sales.

Autowise seems to have written their article based on old information, the only real carry over will be the platforms that underpin
most of the Infiniti lineup is see a new or updated engines, revised interiors and the new infotainment.

And if some of the more outlandish rumors are to be trusted a possible 450HP version of the Q50/60 will be on offer and the manual will be making a return to the lineup,
which would give Infiniti a model to compete directly with the M3 & M4 entries.

The QX55 is a pretty big unknown at the moment but given how long it's taken to debut I'm suspecting it is going to be very different from the QX50,
I'm predicting it will be underpinned by the FM platform and offer the new 3.8L V6 & Transmission that Nissan has shown off in the updated Frontier.

Which is also getting a full redesign for MY 2022 which adds some credibility to my theory.

The QX80 is a Titan in a tux so naturally we will see the updated V8 motor in addition to the 9-speed automatic.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Nissan won't be splitting from Reanult any time soon, they will move to take back some of their independence but the EV platform
that is upcoming and will under-pin every Nissan product going forward was co-developed with the Alliance

Splitting from Reanult now would put Nissan is a very unfavorable position and set themselves up for failure with the ever closer shift

I'd take what bloomberg says with more than a pinch of salt in this instance, especially since Nissan has outright

Autowise seems to have written their article based on old information, the only real carry over will be the platforms that underpin
most of the Infiniti lineup is see a new or updated engines, revised interiors and the new infotainment.

And if some of the more outlandish rumors are to be trusted a possible 450HP version of the Q50/60 will be on offer and the manual will be making a return to the lineup,

The QX55 is a pretty big unknown at the moment but given how long it's taken to debut I'm suspecting it is going to be very different from the QX50,
I'm predicting it will be underpinned by the FM platform and offer the new 3.8L V6 & Transmission that Nissan has shown off in the updated Frontier.

Which is also getting a full redesign for MY 2022 which adds some credibility to my theory.

The QX80 is a Titan in a tux so naturally we will see the updated V8 motor in addition to the 9-speed automatic.
I agree with most of what you've said. I wonder if the QX55's delay has to do with a change in platform execution. However, what stops my deliberation on this is the fact that it will be built in the shared plant with Merc in Mexico. It makes it more likely the QX55 will still ride on FWD/AWD platform unless they've changed the tooling in that plant to accommodate a RWD platform. Yet, FWD platforms are more compliant for sporty drives than let's say 10years ago....still not the RWD platform we would want, but all is not loss. I do however, wonder if they've done work with the VC-T to be synergistic to the 9-sp tranny or the 7sp DTC borrowed from Renault. In addition, perhaps the VHR could also accommodate FWD. It's not too far fetch is it?

I can't see the new 3.8 V6 going in the QX55. Perhaps, Nissan has a (non GTR) turbo solution for that engine that will be more suitable for the next-gen QX80.

I've been thinking about this for a long, long while now. And I hope the Alliance are serious about getting on track; maybe my thoughts are aligned with their plans.....wishful thinking perhaps!:eek:

Reactions: Jeffpeds

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #98

Just bringing thoughts out of my head from curiosity via your quote
"The QX80 is a Titan in a tux ".

I thought the QX80 was no longer on the same platform as the Nissan Titan/QX56(WA60), Isn't it on the Nissan Patrol Platform?

Cheers

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
I agree with most of what you've said. I wonder if the QX55's delay has to do with a change in platform execution. However, what stops my deliberation on this is the fact that it will be built in the shared plant with Merc in Mexico. It makes it more likely the QX55 will still ride on FWD/AWD platform unless they've changed the tooling in that plant to accommodate a RWD platform. Yet, FWD platforms are more compliant for sporty drives than let's say 10years ago....still not the RWD platform we would want, but all is not loss. I do however, wonder if they've done work with the VC-T to be synergistic to the 9-sp tranny or the 7sp DTC borrowed from Renault. In addition, perhaps the VHR could also accommodate FWD. It's not too far fetch is it?

I can't see the new 3.8 V6 going in the QX55. Perhaps, Nissan has a (non GTR) turbo solution for that engine that will be more suitable for the next-gen QX80.

I've been thinking about this for a long, long while now. And I hope the Alliance are serious about getting on track; maybe my thoughts are aligned with their plans.....wishful thinking perhaps!:eek:
A solid point regarding the factory the QX55 is being assembled from, I did not consider that when I made my speculation. You'll get no argument from me that FWD cars today are really well sorted. But I don't think we will see a 9-Speed paired with the VC-T motor do to engine layout, but the 7S DCT from Reanult is used in FWD applications and could totally work.

If the QX55 stays FWD then the 3.8 V6 is a no go, but I could see it used as a base motor for the QX80.

Just bringing thoughts out of my head from curiosity via your quote
"The QX80 is a Titan in a tux ".

I thought the QX80 was no longer on the same platform as the Nissan Titan/QX56(WA60), Isn't it on the Nissan Patrol Platform?

Cheers
The QX80 rides on the F-Alpha platform which includes the Titan, Frontier and Nissan Patrol. I actually forgot the Patrol even
existed so it would be more accurate to call it a Patrol in a Tux rather than a Titan. :LOL:

·
Registered
760 Posts

Probably see a V8 in the new QX55 before a V6. They are going to stick with the 4 and offer electrification soon after that.

Reactions: Dr69er
81 - 100 of 112 Posts