Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Probably see a V8 in the new QX55 before a V6. They are going to stick with the 4 and offer electrification soon after that.
I don't think it is a far-fetched idea that the V6 could become an upgrade option to the VC-T.

Recent excerpt from a major INFINITI dealer: Infiniti dealers face many challenges to lift sales

Infiniti has announced plans to electrify its fleet in the next few years. Is the U.S. market ready for these vehicles, or are automakers pushing these vehicles mostly to meet emissions targets in China and Europe?

"It's a complex situation, but electrification is definitely coming. However, I'm not sure when the typical luxury-car buyer will be ready to make the change. Is that five, 10, or 15 years away? We don't know. Without question, some of the new vehicles which are being proposed are very exciting.
Our former CEO (Christian Meunier) made some very bold statements about electrification, which I think were made due to his passion and desire to move the company forward. He had noble goals which I think will take longer to achieve, perhaps 10 or 20 years.
We don't see the combustion engine going away over the next 10 years,
but as we add new products and broaden our portfolios, we know that electrification will be a part of the company."

·
Registered
760 Posts
I don't think it is a far-fetched idea that the V6 could become an upgrade option to the VC-T.

Recent excerpt from a major INFINITI dealer: Infiniti dealers face many challenges to lift sales

Infiniti has announced plans to electrify its fleet in the next few years. Is the U.S. market ready for these vehicles, or are automakers pushing these vehicles mostly to meet emissions targets in China and Europe?

"It's a complex situation, but electrification is definitely coming. However, I'm not sure when the typical luxury-car buyer will be ready to make the change. Is that five, 10, or 15 years away? We don't know. Without question, some of the new vehicles which are being proposed are very exciting.
Our former CEO (Christian Meunier) made some very bold statements about electrification, which I think were made due to his passion and desire to move the company forward. He had noble goals which I think will take longer to achieve, perhaps 10 or 20 years.
We don't see the combustion engine going away over the next 10 years,
but as we add new products and broaden our portfolios, we know that electrification will be a part of the company."
If we only knew. It does appear Nissan/Infiniti are looking for more fuel efficiency and technology linked to electrification.

Electrification is coming at a rapid pace. Even GM has a giant electric SUV (Hummer) it’s claiming will be as fast as their Corvette 0-60 with a 1000 HP. Wishing for a V6 with 300-400 Hp seems wishful at this point. But with the current economy and administration in the United States the gas engine isn’t dead yet. Some states have regular gas under $2 a gallon.

Reactions: Q602B

·
Registered
663 Posts
Tesla is leaps and bounds ahead of everyone in terms of range. They invested heavily in batteries early on and it's paying off. If anyone is going to compete with Tesla in the EV market they have to make huge improvements to range and charging speeds.

Reactions: Q602B

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again. We don't need charging stations, we need a battery swap stations.

Manufacturers need to come up with a "common" battery platform and terminals with simple, yet secure, access to battery packs.

This will make the EV stop just minutes.

Pull in to a station, unlock a side door, pull out the battery packs and insert new ones. Yes, we will need full service stations...more jobs I suppose.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Probably see a V8 in the new QX55 before a V6. They are going to stick with the 4 and offer electrification soon after that.

Lets hope Infiniti brings back a (revised) 5.6 liter V8 back to it's new 2021-2022 models like
the Q70/Q70L and QX70 etc. There's nothing like a rally nice large displacement naturally
aspirated Japanese V8 to put some reliability and excitement in its line up...

My Son's tuned 2016 CLS 63S AMG is a absolute GORILLA with it's 5.5 Liter V8 and Twin
Turbo's are a thing to behold...It has me wanting a large displacement naturally aspirated
V8 again (I'm willing to accept the gas guzzling tax on the wallet)...we can only dream.

Surely, we see V8's go by the way of the Dinosaur in favor of the rather bland (in comparison)
all electric powered vehicles (with the exception of cars like the Tesla 100 D and such)...

Oh well...

·
Registered
760 Posts
Lets hope Infiniti brings back a (revised) 5.6 liter V8 back to it's new 2021-2022 models like
the Q70/Q70L and QX70 etc. There's nothing like a rally nice large displacement naturally
aspirated Japanese V8 to put some reliability and excitement in its line up...

My Son's tuned 2016 CLS 63S AMG is a absolute GORILLA with it's 5.5 Liter V8 and Twin
Turbo's are a thing to behold...It has me wanting a large displacement naturally aspirated
V8 again (I'm willing to accept the gas guzzling tax on the wallet)...we can only dream.

Surely, we see V8's go by the way of the Dinosaur in favor of the rather bland (in comparison)
all electric powered vehicles (with the exception of cars like the Tesla 100 D and such)...

Oh well...
I absolutely love V8’s and hopefully they stick around for awhile. That gas guzzler tax should be repealed.

Reactions: Dr69er

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again. We don't need charging stations, we need a battery swap stations.

Manufacturers need to come up with a "common" battery platform and terminals with simple, yet secure, access to battery packs.

This will make the EV stop just minutes.

Pull in to a station, unlock a side door, pull out the battery packs and insert new ones. Yes, we will need full service stations...more jobs I suppose.
This is clearly the way to go. I just don't know how hard it would be to implement with all the different form factor considerations, upcoming battery technologies, etc...

How do you tell other manufacturers to follow, let's say, Tesla since they are the clear leader right now and probably long into the future. Should Tesla be told to conform to a design that hinders their advantages?

Or do these stations store multiple battery types. Which ones do they carry? How much space do they have to carry these batteries? Do they have to build charging stations at their stations. That's extra real estate, which isn't cheap here in the Bay Area.

Are you allowed to charge your own batteries? Because those are priced into the car. As batteries get old they don't go as far. How will you know if your battery is going to last 100 or 300 miles when you do the swap?

This is way beyond my expertise, but from what I do know this seems like a giant hurdle.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Looks like i found something from a retail insider Regarding General infiniti news and Q50 news:

https://www.reddit.com/r/infiniti/comments/fgj6wf
"

QX55 should be revealed in New York. If they don't cancel the AutoShow.

The new QX60 looks amazing.

Future plans for the Q50 and QX80.

Plans for the Q70/Q80.

e-POWER technology is what people are going to be hearing more of from Infiniti.

I am personally a bit a excited and I wanted to share it with all of you after the meeting I just had.

"

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Looks like i found something from a retail insider Regarding General infiniti news and Q50 news:

"

Plans for the Q70/Q80.

e-POWER technology is what people are going to be hearing more of from Infiniti.

I am personally a bit a excited and I wanted to share it with all of you after the meeting I just had.

"
Sounds interesting. Starved for some positive Infiniti news. Would like to see them stop letting Genesis steal their thunder. I'm worried about all-electric and the death of the V6 and V8. That's what I'm concerned we will get.

The NY Auto Show is not cancelled. It has been officially moved to late August, starting a week before Labor Day. New York Auto Show Rescheduled

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
The NY Auto Show is not cancelled. It has been officially moved to late August, starting a week before Labor Day. New York Auto Show Rescheduled
Interesting. I skipped the Minneapolis/St. Paul show this year, due to the virus. It was last week and I bet attendance was very low.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts

"

Plans for the Q70/Q80.

"
Good find....I forget to peruse reddit.com; seems to always find little nuggets here and there, over there.

So, it seems that the 9-spd tranny will become more ubiquitous for the petrol lineup...this was to be expected (that's a good thing).

Still, it's a mystery what the next-gen Q50 would look like....EV, petrol, hybrid? There was a quote from a big dealer (think in South Florida) not too long ago stating that the rush to full EV will be slowed some (but will remain a mid-to-long term target). The U.S. market (as a whole) is not ready to fully commit to full EV just yet. So, it likely leaves INFINITI in somewhat of a pickle as to what to do with 3.0L mill. Hopefully, it continues with the Q50...since it seems that Nissan will move forward with the Z-car.

The Q60 omission is perplexing....maybe it will run on an extended life cycle like a lot of us have already anticipated. Yet, it doesn't make a lot of sense, since the next-gen Q50 and Z-car are likely a year out from production.

Second time I've heard that the QX60 interior would be boss-like (@Carmaker1 stated so about a month ago on another forum; he told me a little while ago that he has had problems signing into our Q50.org forum). It's believable if anyone has seen spy shots of the next-gen Rogue's interior, which is pure fire IMO; surely INFINITI will supersede it. Good thing that the 9-spd tranny will be added to its lineup...should add to that vehicle's credibility as the viable ute it already is....this is what I think is needed to help bolster its place in the 3-row SUV pantheon.

The QX80, IMO, will have an opportunity to really cement its place in the large SUV offering. I think it could become a significant threat to the Escalade - which I don't think did a good enough job on their new generation offering...at least not enough to ward off the threat from the Navigator (that truck is absolutely BOSS). I think that's who INFINITI should be bench marking against with QX80.

So hopefully, the Tochigi, Chinese, Mexican, and U.S. based plants can weather the COVID-19 pandemic (and other self-inflicted issues), and get these plants back to full operation soon....so we can see the INFINITI (Renault-Nissan) ship to start turning around into more positive waters.

Reactions: babskyline
101 - 112 of 112 Posts