Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

2021 Q50 News and Speculation

23K views 111 replies 31 participants last post by  Q60 I² 
#1 ·
Hello All,
Now that we know what to expect for the 2020 MYQ50, I thought I would make a new post regarding speculations and what we can expect for the 2021 (V38) Model of the Q50.

So far what we officially know:

Speculations:

• 2021 Infiniti Q50 platform will switch to a standard all-wheel-drive system and it will come with an electric powertrain.
  • Brand New Infotainment system along with major system overhaul.
I'm looking researching any news relating to the 2021 Model. We all know Nissan/Infiniti likes to keep quiet until the very last minute. What are you thoughts? Please help share some news/leaks here as well if found.

Automotive design Sketch Drawing Motor vehicle Line art

Motor vehicle Automotive design Auto part Automotive lighting Car

Automotive design Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Concept car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Personal luxury car

Sharing Pictures provided by @carmarker1 via early concept renders https://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/in...ml#post1300473

See less See more
#57 ·
From the article linked below:

Nissan hasn’t launched a completely new dedicated electric vehicle in nearly 10 years.

That’s all set to change soon with the introduction of not just one or two new EVs, but an entire new family of them—and potentially, by the middle of the decade, more than a dozen models globally across Nissan, its Infiniti luxury brand, and its Renault and Mitsubishi alliance partners.

#60 ·
Absolutely awesome and outstanding post.

The reason Infiniti has been slow with new model roll outs is the tremendous amount of money for electrification R&D. Shocking that so many are not able to understand this.

Reactions: Q60 I²
#58 ·
Need to think about the practicality of an EV. You need to have a garage and a proper setup to charge (50Amp 240V).

Charging is still quite impractical and takes too long.

Manufacturers need to come up with an industry standard battery and battery packs. You can then drive to a station, unlock a side door between the bottom of the doors and the bottom of the car...think of it as a long rectange on both sides of the car or on just one side of the car, remove the used battery and slide in the new battery pack or packs.

This process should not take more than 5 minutes. This would allow more people to go electric.

#59 ·
Nissan's series-hybrid EV implementation want require charging. The small engine will act a power-charge generator for the battery. IIRC, we will see these before Nissan release another full EV solution.

#61 ·
Autoblog with reported information on the (pending) next-gen Z car....which may (my opinion only) have some Q60 implications:

"From a powertrain perspective, we’re told that a version of the 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6 from the Infiniti Q50/Q60 400 Red Sport will be pulled for duty. That engine is paired with a nine-speed automatic transmission only right now, but we’re told a manual transmission will be offered alongside the automatic. As a reminder, Nissan did pair the 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6 with a manual in a 370Z SEMA show car previously, but it still hasn’t seen a production application."

Reactions: BigHeadClan
#64 ·
Interesting about the 9AT, but then again, they're kind of being forced to. I can't imagine that all of the flack about the 7AT has gone unnoticed at Nissan, or at least I hope it hasn't. If the V37 continues on into MY21, I wonder what the odds of them adding it into the Q would be. It wouldn't be hard if they already have it in the Z Mule...maybe a revised TCM, but doesn't make sense to really do it on a sun-setting model. A MY21 V37 Q50 is an if though...but also a possibility given the conjecture around a replacement not happening until MY22. Really hard to say at this point.

#62 ·
Z-Car...what an appropriate nickname (ZZZZZZZZZZZ-Car is more like it). I have a hard time believing that the Z sells in any sort of numbers that justify a next generation.

#65 ·
The Z has never been a volume seller in NA but it's sales usually hit around 7-15K per year, which may not justify a car on it's own but it's why the G35 (now Q50) was created in the first place. It's entire purpose was to help offset R&D costs of the 350Z by building multiple cars out of the same platform and by appealing to the widest number of people possible. Nissan learned it's lesson with the 300ZX when it tried to combine the luxury and performance into one car, it ended up be really expensive with very small margins.

So long as there isn't another down-turn in the economy when the Z releases (happened in 08 and why its sales tanked)
a new Z car should be warmly welcomed by the community.

#67 ·
Well, @Carmaker1 has chimed in on the Q50, and it ain't good news IMO: (checkout the comments section in this linked article)

Hopefully, he is wrong on this occasion since it seems that Nissan is potentially re-thinking the next-gen Z.

#68 ·
I also hope he is wrong.... FWD EV... Quoted from @Carmaker1 's comment:

Your comment can be taken in so many ways, because I find it interesting in being both right and wrong at the same time.

The G35 and FX were in the pipeline in 2000, but not yet on the market.

The G35 had been already shown in private to dealers and media in 1999 as a production prototype, while the final FX wasn't shown until 2001 dealer meetings and then released January 24, 2003.

Unique and forward thinking tech-laden vehicle, that was the prototypical sports car in a crossover body before any X6 existed.

G35 took over 7 years to launch from 1994 planning to release in March 2002. Money woes in the 90s hampered plans for 1999 intro of V35 sedan.

The interior quality of these would have been much better at launch in 2002-03 if not for Renault adding some 11th hour changes.

Sadly though, Q50 (once G20t, G30t, G37) is going south next gen. FWD EV.

Gosh I hope this is not true :/

#69 ·
I don't get it. Are they going to build off the Altima/Maxima platform and convert it to an EV? Or, building a FWD platform from the ground up just for the Q?

With the new Z around the corner, the VR will become more popular and I think will turn more eyes on the Q50. I just wish they can continue and provide refreshes similar to what they are doing with the Q (Skyline) overseas...new tails, bumper cover, etc.

#70 ·
Not encouraging news @Q602B I wish @Carmaker1 would drop some deets on which MY the new gen is arriving. From what he's saying, the VR30 as an Infiniti engine sounds like it's going to be done. That and whether the current iteration lives on another year or two and gets the 9AT. Going to speak with my sales consultant tomorrow and see what I can get her to say. Although I'm sure they have a vested interest in creating urgency and is likely to go with well, we don't know. We'll see. I bought my G37 from her so might as well get the Q from her as well.

Going 100% some form of electric is risky for them. Not everyone wants that and pretty sure they're going to alienate the remainder of us enthusiasts they have left. Disappointing.

#72 ·
User Comments
PUGPROUD
Three days more like it!
PUGPROUD (View Profile)
POSTED ON 1/20/2020 2:48:31 PM | REPLY TO THIS COMMENT | VOTES: -2
dlin
Sad... back in 2000 Infiniti was up and coming, with G and FX everywhere on the streets. 2 gen later they are gone
dlin (View Profile)
POSTED ON 1/20/2020 3:06:52 PM | REPLY TO THIS COMMENT | VOTES: 2
Carmaker1
Your comment can be taken in so many ways, because I find it interesting in being both right and wrong at the same time.

The G35 and FX were in the pipeline in 2000, but not yet on the market.

The G35 had been already shown in private to dealers and media in 1999 as a production prototype, while the final FX wasn't shown until 2001 dealer meetings and then released January 24, 2003.

Unique and forward thinking tech-laden vehicle, that was the prototypical sports car in a crossover body before any X6 existed.

G35 took over 7 years to launch from 1994 planning to release in March 2002. Money woes in the 90s hampered plans for 1999 intro of V35 sedan.

The interior quality of these would have been much better at launch in 2002-03 if not for Renault adding some 11th hour changes.

Sadly though, Q50 (once G20t, G30t, G37) is going south next gen. FWD EV.
— Carmaker1 (View Profile)
POSTED ON 1/20/2020 4:38:57 PM | | VOTES: 2
Carmaker1

To add, in 2000 the G35 was making the rounds much more behind closed doors and styling decisions were being made for the FX.

In the summer of 2000, concept car version was complete for '01 NAIAS, but they went back and changed so many elements, it become an entirely different car by December 2000.
— Carmaker1 (View Profile)
POSTED ON 1/20/2020 4:51:28 PM | | VOTES: 2
NewQ
Maybe not 2000 exactly, but certainly the early 2000s had a series of memorable products from Infiniti.

Between the bionic cheetah FX, the BMW-beating G, and the under-appreciated 3rd generation Q45 (my first car, by the way), they had a good thing going.

Now, you have an aging lineup, shuffling along. The model portfolio of Infiniti now seems to consist of ancient warmed over versions of good ideas that haven't kept pace with the rest of the industry, cancelled winners, and new product that's uninspired or borrowed from other companies.

It's unfortunate that a marque with such promise has come to this.
NewQ (View Profile)
POSTED ON 1/20/2020 9:51:45 PM | | VOTES: 3
MDarringer
Carlos Shitbag ruined Nissan.

Nissan needs to kill the CVT right now.

The Versa (possibly), Maxima, Frontier (possibly), and Titan all need to go. If they could replace the Frontier with something competitive, then fine. Nissan does not need the Versa and and Sentra. Pick one and focus.

"Rogue" is a dumb name. Why must that name afflict TWO models?

The Z needs to be reinvented as an everyday sports car like the Mustang.

The GTR needs to be reinvented as a C7 Corvette replacement.

Both need massively revised price points. They simply are not worth their prices.

Styling has to do an about-face. The Z should be styled like the 240Z. The Sentra should evoke the 510.

Hey, here's a cray-cray. Kill the Sentra and replace it with an affordable RWD sedan called the 510.

Consider repositioning the Altima--with a new name--as a PHEV sedan with an EV version both at current Altima pricing.

QUALITY CONTROL
MDarringer (View Profile)
POSTED ON 1/20/2020 7:13:37 PM | REPLY TO THIS COMMENT | VOTES: 0
NewQ
Okay, we get it. You're passionate about NISMO products (?).
NewQ (View Profile)
POSTED ON 1/20/2020 9:48:26 PM | | VOTES: 3
MDarringer
No I'm passionate at calling bullshit what it is. The GTR is a nice $60K car that costs double to triple its worth. The Z gives you Mustang Ecoboost performance for GT pricing. Neither are worth it.

Performance sells, but it has to come with tremendous value.
POSTED ON 1/20/2020 9:56:10 PM | | VOTES: -1
SuperCarEnthusiast
Infniti has had it!
SuperCarEnthusiast (View Profile)
POSTED ON 1/20/2020 11:02:51 PM | REPLY TO THIS COMMENT | VOTES: 1
TomM
THe Average American Car Buyer CANNOT AFFORD the Average American New CAR. AS the loans get longer - people start to get upset about reliability issues that they would have ignored in the Past. And there are still problems with the cost of repairs when they CAN be fixed.

Both VW and Nissan (AS well as a number of other European Brands) have become money pits for the people whose 6 year loan will not have warranty repairs along with it. Reliability is a major issue and THese two are just horrendous. ANd if you are STUCK with it for 2-3 years - you will not return to try again for that brand. Funny - it was not long ago that BMW was an example of good engineering - now it is the poster boy for CHEAPER Junk parts and being the money pit after the warranty is over. THe Plastic Coolant Pump is just one example of an expensive CHEAP part.
TomM (View Profile)
POSTED ON 1/21/2020 6:01:13 AM | REPLY TO THIS COMMENT | VOTES: 3
MDarringer
And Nissan has the terrorist from Lebanon to thank for the decimation of its quality.
POSTED ON 1/21/2020 8:46:14 AM | | VOTES: -1
cidflekken
I remember fondly the days when my Pathfinder was my sweet ride. Or my 350Z was my new sweet ride. And the Xterra was going to be a second car. Or the G35 Coupe was destined to be in my garage with an FX as a second car. No more. There really isn't a single car in the Nissan/Infiniti lineup that perks my interest.
cidflekken (View Profile)
POSTED ON 1/21/2020 2:09:20 PM | REPLY TO THIS COMMENT | VOTES: 1
Carmaker1
Wow, I never would've imagined that. I wouldn't pegged you as someone that cared for any of their past products, since it's pretty much "The Best or Nothing" :) with you, so color me shocked.

I had been a part of Nissan for 10 years.

My father had bought roughly $2 million worth of Nissan shares in 2004, as a means to get us a foothold into the automotive industry and from being so impressed with Nissan's 2001 "turnaround".

Over time, it grew and those shares were given to immediate family members (received mine in 2009).

Last year, I sold all remaining shares ahead of the Nissan crash and so did my family, losing so many privileges that came from collectively owning millions of USD in Nissan.

No longer get to see anything new nor get briefings.

The so many promised products, cancelled model programs, endless delays and design proposals, I was so sick of it.

The Infiniti brand is becoming way too experimental going forward and I don't think they're going to succeed like they expect against Tesla with FWD EVs.
Carmaker1 (View Profile)
POSTED ON 1/22/2020 2:00:41 AM | | VOTES: 1
Carmaker1
**and those shares were shared amongst other immediate family members.
Carmaker1 (View Profile)
POSTED ON 1/22/2020 2:02:30 AM | | VOTES: 1
MDarringer
So with $2M of mad money you decided to buy stock in something and Nissan was your go-to choice? That made me laugh.
POSTED ON 1/22/2020 8:17:05 AM | | VOTES: 1

#73 ·
So it seems that @Carmaker1 does not have the access he once had (going by his latest post in the copied string above) as he and his family have sold all of their Nissan shares.

Reactions: jodedor
#78 ·
#79 · (Edited)
Wow... I haven't posted in a while!

I am not sure what platform the next Q50 will be on... but from what I've been seeing online the next sedan to debut will be one based on one of the concepts they've been showing. I'm just setting my mind on everything is shifting to the new EV platform, except the upcoming QX60 (next in line to be redesigned and rides on a modified version of the current platform it shares with the Pathfinder. Seems no more CVT in it as well!) and the QX80.

Though the new platform seems to be FWD in its base form, I think every electrified Infiniti will be AWD and will have motors on each axle. From what I heard it seems it can also be RWD... but they're going with AWD for Infiniti's. Honestly, I think the only thing we'll be losing is the classic RWD proportions/long hoods... but if I get over myself, the recent concepts are still gorgeous.

I personally think the huge shift Infiniti is making to electrified vehicles is a HUGE risk and it honestly scares me... BUT after renting a Tesla Model 3 Performance for a day through Turo... I have to say I am SOLD on the power delivery of EVs. And to say the car was so heavy, it handled some Cali mountain roads VERY well! I felt more confident in it than the Q60 Red Sport I rented the year before.

If Infiniti can get anywhere close to that level of power and handling I experienced in the Model 3 Performance, AND eliminate the need to plug it in with their E-Power tech... they could seriously have a winner on their hand. Technically, you're getting all the benefits of an EV... yet you won't have to adjust your lifestyle and have to deal with charging/charging stations and continue to just go and fill up at a gas station, but way less often. It all just really depends on how people respond... and I think that's why they're taking somewhat long on this shift, because A LOT of the success is going to depend on how they market it! And we all know Infiniti royally SUCKs at that! If they can nail the marketing to emphasize the pure bliss and exhilaration of instant EV torque, superb handling due to the low center of gravity because of the battery back down low, AND your lifestyle doesn't have to change if you don't want to because we offer this E-Power option. They truly have a winner.

As far as us enthusiasts... if we choose to stick with the Infiniti brand, we'll just have to be open minded because RWD V6 cars are simply not the future of Infiniti. I was honestly bummed when they first started announcing that they were shifting to a FWD based AWD EV future. BUT after driving that Tesla... I'm excited about any EV that puts down that level of power. Its almost scary the first couple of times (it honestly makes you let off the accelerator, I had to build up confidence in myself to just completely floor it!). Then add in the fact that I may not need to worry about charging it...

So with all that said, I am still excited for the next Q50... whichever direction they decide to take it! I would love for the VR30 to stick around, but there is something that's different that can be just as powerful... if not more! And I'm open to it. Please deliver Infiniti! PLEASE!

My suggestion... find a way to test drive a Tesla... and you'll get it.

#80 ·
Stick around and post more @NissLover (it seems like a lot of the original gangstas have moved on:()

#96 ·
Nissan won't be splitting from Reanult any time soon, they will move to take back some of their independence but the EV platform
that is upcoming and will under-pin every Nissan product going forward was co-developed with the Alliance

Splitting from Reanult now would put Nissan is a very unfavorable position and set themselves up for failure with the ever closer shift
to electrification and hybrid cars.

I'd take what bloomberg says with more than a pinch of salt in this instance, especially since Nissan has outright
Stated they have no plans to split at this time.

This article from Autowise is indicating that the MY21 Q50 will be largely carry over with few changes and minor trim updates. We've heard rumors of that, but seems like some concrete evidence is starting to take shape. The delay of the QX55 lends further credence to that being the case. Infiniti, put the 9AT in your lineup for 2021. That alone would probably add a little shot of adrenaline to sales.

Autowise seems to have written their article based on old information, the only real carry over will be the platforms that underpin
most of the Infiniti lineup is see a new or updated engines, revised interiors and the new infotainment.

And if some of the more outlandish rumors are to be trusted a possible 450HP version of the Q50/60 will be on offer and the manual will be making a return to the lineup,
which would give Infiniti a model to compete directly with the M3 & M4 entries.

The QX55 is a pretty big unknown at the moment but given how long it's taken to debut I'm suspecting it is going to be very different from the QX50,
I'm predicting it will be underpinned by the FM platform and offer the new 3.8L V6 & Transmission that Nissan has shown off in the updated Frontier.

Which is also getting a full redesign for MY 2022 which adds some credibility to my theory.

The QX80 is a Titan in a tux so naturally we will see the updated V8 motor in addition to the 9-speed automatic.

#82 · (Edited)
With Infiniti pulling out of Europe and Australia/New Zealand therefore less revenue for new development. I doubt there will be another sedan or sports sedan to replace the Q50 or dedicated coupe Q60 platform. Most likely it would some sort of SUV crossover that people loves to buy.

Infiniti might make a sports SUV instead of a dedicated sedan underpinning. Look at Audi, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, Maserati, Lambo and Aston Martin. They are throwing development money at SUV not sports sedans.

The VR30 will most likely go into the next version of the 370Z which is overdue for a replacement, but then again not many people want to buy coupe or sports cars!

Large displacement engines will be a buried with the dinosaurs because in 2020 all new cars sold in the Euro must average no more than 95g/km of C02 which will means 4 cylinders turbo and hybrids. The current Q50 hybrid spews out 160g/km of CO2 and the diesel 114g/km of CO2. Hence this may be why Infiniti pulled out of Europe as they don't yet have a hybrid or electric in their lineup yet to meet 2020 CO2 targets.

#85 ·
I actually have an MDX, it's nice for trips but it's really not that big of a deal to me. A van would work better but I won't drive a van even though I know it's more practical. My wife also refuses. What's baffling to me are all the people with no kids or single with SUV's. I think it's stupid.

#92 ·
SUV's are more prone to rollovers compared to other cars according to studies by the NHTSA.

They found that while the stability of a low-riding sedan increases as the number of passengers increases, the opposite occurs in high-riding SUVs. They become more unstable as the passenger load increases because of the higher center of gravity and can roll over more easily during hard corning/emergency maneuvers.

SUVs have come a long way from the Suzuki Samuari debacle but physics is physics.

Reactions: BigHeadClan
#93 ·
SUV's in comparison to a car in that same category will take longer to stop and will not be as stable or as quick to respond to an evasive maneuver. Also, people get a false sense of security "riding high in their big vehicle." Most of the time they don't understand how to modify their driving habits to match the reduced braking and steering ability. I've seen countless morons tail-gating and driving way too fast in inclement weather with their "safer" SUV.

Yes, I understand their are high-performance versions of SUV's that can brake and steer better than your average car. However, the vast majority of people are not buying those.

Reactions: BTinAZ
#94 · (Edited)
Lol...Let’s be real honest here. I would prefer my loved one in a SUV and most of the sane members on this forum and clearly most of the country would agree. SUV’s and pickups account for 70% of vehicle sales in the United States.

SUV’s used to be more prone to rollovers in the past. Tremendous advances in safety for all vehicles including SUV’s has made them extremely safe and therefore much less likely to rollover. In 1999 the rollover argument would of made sense as one of the articles suggest.

“And, according to a recent research study, SUVs have been shown to be much safer than sedans. In fact, an SUV driver or passenger is at least 50 percent more likely to survive a car crash without suffering serious injuries than an individual riding in a sedan. ... The same doesn't appear to be the case with SUVs though.”

#95 ·
This article from Autowise is indicating that the MY21 Q50 will be largely carry over with few changes and minor trim updates. We've heard rumors of that, but seems like some concrete evidence is starting to take shape. The delay of the QX55 lends further credence to that being the case. Infiniti, put the 9AT in your lineup for 2021. That alone would probably add a little shot of adrenaline to sales.

Reactions: Jeffpeds
#103 ·
Tesla is leaps and bounds ahead of everyone in terms of range. They invested heavily in batteries early on and it's paying off. If anyone is going to compete with Tesla in the EV market they have to make huge improvements to range and charging speeds.

#104 ·
I've said it before and I'll say it again. We don't need charging stations, we need a battery swap stations.

Manufacturers need to come up with a "common" battery platform and terminals with simple, yet secure, access to battery packs.

This will make the EV stop just minutes.

Pull in to a station, unlock a side door, pull out the battery packs and insert new ones. Yes, we will need full service stations...more jobs I suppose.

#107 · (Edited)
This is clearly the way to go. I just don't know how hard it would be to implement with all the different form factor considerations, upcoming battery technologies, etc...

How do you tell other manufacturers to follow, let's say, Tesla since they are the clear leader right now and probably long into the future. Should Tesla be told to conform to a design that hinders their advantages?

Or do these stations store multiple battery types. Which ones do they carry? How much space do they have to carry these batteries? Do they have to build charging stations at their stations. That's extra real estate, which isn't cheap here in the Bay Area.

Are you allowed to charge your own batteries? Because those are priced into the car. As batteries get old they don't go as far. How will you know if your battery is going to last 100 or 300 miles when you do the swap?

This is way beyond my expertise, but from what I do know this seems like a giant hurdle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.