Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

2021 Q50 News and Speculation

23K views 111 replies 31 participants last post by  Q60 I² 
#1 ·
Hello All,
Now that we know what to expect for the 2020 MYQ50, I thought I would make a new post regarding speculations and what we can expect for the 2021 (V38) Model of the Q50.

So far what we officially know:

Speculations:

• 2021 Infiniti Q50 platform will switch to a standard all-wheel-drive system and it will come with an electric powertrain.
  • Brand New Infotainment system along with major system overhaul.
I'm looking researching any news relating to the 2021 Model. We all know Nissan/Infiniti likes to keep quiet until the very last minute. What are you thoughts? Please help share some news/leaks here as well if found.

Automotive design Sketch Drawing Motor vehicle Line art

Motor vehicle Automotive design Auto part Automotive lighting Car

Automotive design Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Concept car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Personal luxury car

Sharing Pictures provided by @carmarker1 via early concept renders https://www.infinitiq50.org/forum/in...ml#post1300473

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Outstanding and awesome post. Thank you for the information and speculation.

It’s always good when members include actual and real links to the information they provide.

#3 ·
The visibility in the pics appears to be very compromised but the final product NEVER looks like the artist rendering anyway. Happy to see they are least serious about doing something after 7-8 years of the same.

#4 ·
It appears one reason for the slow new model rollout is the large amount of R&D dollars Nissan has spent on EV and Autonomous driving.

Our new QX50 has ProPilot, ProActive and ProAssist. It has been advanced and actually better than our similarly equipped 2018 Q50 Hybrid. Nissan’s autonomous systems are far ahead of many competitors.

#6 ·
There is almost zero chance Infiniti will drop the VR30 from it's lineup so soon after it began production.

Most likely Infiniti has designed the future chassis in such a way that it can accommodate both the VR30 & VC-T Engine or it will
spin off two variants of the platform. One with a focus on performance and the other being more economy focused.

Either way the VR30 is a longitudinally oriented engine that is RWD by default meaning we will likely see a new transmission
as well as the CVT isn't suited to high power applications and would present a lot of packaging challenges for Infiniti.

Reactions: twin_snails
#8 ·
That's a good point. Actually, I hope they will approve the production the system in the (v38 models).
It will certainly help boost Infiniti's performance engagement from the eyes of the public.
I also think as this stage maybe we can expect an improved VR Variant.

More importantly, I'm curious of its price point. I guess we will here more of the Black S later this year https://www.motor1.com/news/365420/infiniti-project-black-production-decision/

#9 ·
Closest rendering so far.

Attachments

#10 ·
Q Inspiration concept. Most likely EV version.

Attachments

#13 ·
Has anyone considered that there simply might not be a 2021 Q50? Sales have slowed so significantly that people have already speculated that the Q60 will be discontinued.

My thoughts are that they will come out with their QX55 in the spring/summer and then the next vehicle will be a QX40.

If Q50 sales don’t improve I am not so sure that they are going to replace the Q50 with another traditional sedan. I think it is more likely that the next generation of Q50 will actually be more crossover than sedan.

#14 ·
No...go to any dealer and they have Q50’s in stock for a reason. They still sell and more importantly make money on them. However it’s harder and harder to find a Q60. Even though the Q50 has lost sales due to her age and the fact everyone is buying SUV’s. The Q50 clearly makes a profit for Nissan. If Infiniti were to drop models it would be the Q60 and Q70.

#15 ·
IIRC Carmaker1 said Q50 is always guaranteed a refresh. That makes sense because it is the best-selling sedan in the Infiniti line-up (there are only two of them anyways). IMO, within the next 5 years we will see a refresh. It might not be MY 2021 but will still come out.

Reactions: BigHeadClan
#16 ·
Q70? How low are those sales #s ? I don't see either of the Q50 or Q60's going away in 2021.
I wish the Q50 had the Q60 door handle. My G37IPL had one and I still miss it.

#18 ·
Nah the Q60 coupe works as a styling and marketing statement for Infiniti they aren't going to axe the model simply because of low sales volumes. With nearly 9,000 sales in the US alone for the Q60
there is plenty of justification to keep it around.

Besides waning sales figures is common 1-2 years before a full refresh

Reactions: Wheels43
#20 ·
@Q602B Anything you've picked up with your Google Fu for the 2021 Q50? I've seen mixed opinions stating that MY21 will see the V38 and also that it's not coming until MY22. Either way, I'm pulling the trigger this year. Ordering my car at the beginning of February.

#23 · (Edited)
Nope....notta....no-thing....complete radio silence and not for the lack of trying:(

I've been trying to bait @Carmaker1 out from his silence here on this forum, to no avail. He has been posting on the Lexus Enthusiasts Forum; although, he had only mentioned INFINITI in passing - nothing ground breaking.

Perhaps, @BigHeadClan has snuffed something out.

Good luck on the purchase(y)....it will be your luck (and my sincerest sympathies for you) that those idiots in Yokohama would announce details for an MY21 debut at the time of your purchase.

#21 ·
Infiniti should go after the aftermarket crow, a lot of money could be made there. Their support is pathetic and non existing.
Their sales are stagnating because they are cutting corners and pushing volume. Dumb, innovate that’s how you gain market share. I’m sure if they would offer different packages for the RS q50 ppl would be all over them. I would definitely buy a q50 red sport with 500-600 hp or something like that from the factory even with limited warranty.
Give them time they will learn if it’s not too late.

#22 ·
I have to agree that I’d love to see some more aggressive power options. 400 horsepower stock hasn’t been a big deal since the mid 2000’s. I’d love for Infiniti to compete with the M5 or E63 class and put out a twin turbo v8 upwards of 600hp. I’d be all over that. GTR’s are obviously pretty awesome, but a luxury sedan “executive” version from Infiniti would be a great alternative.
Infiniti should go after the aftermarket crow, a lot of money could be made there. Their support is pathetic and non existing.
Their sales are stagnating because they are cutting corners and pushing volume. Dumb, innovate that’s how you gain market share. I’m sure if they would offer different packages for the RS q50 ppl would be all over them. I would definitely buy a q50 red sport with 500-600 hp or something like that from the factory even with limited warranty.
Give them time they will learn if it’s not too late.

#25 ·
Nissan doesn’t seem to have a clear direction going forward in regards to their performance cars.The GTR is sort of stuck in neutral and it’s an old platform and any ’sport’ cars which would challenge it will cause major problems at Nissan. For example, if Infiniti will build a 500hp platform and cost say 65-70k compared to a GTR which cost 120k base model most ppl performance oriented will probably go for the Infiniti.
I would argue that Nissan should roll the GTR prices under 100k and build a q50 sedan with similar power as the GTR or somewhat close to it and price it higher than current price of 60k. Make it a sport package or something.
I think the Z platform has the same issue. If Nissan would build a 500hp Z car not many would be interested in the GTR especially if it can modded to 600+ hp.

To me the GTR is literally holding down any performance upgrades to lower models like the Z and Q platforms.

So my question is this, which car in Nissan line up is suppose to compete with the the new 50k Toyota Supra... 370Z or the GTR?

#26 ·
Nissan doesn’t seem to have a clear direction going forward in regards to their performance cars.The GTR is sort of stuck in neutral and it’s an old platform and any ’sport’ cars which would challenge it will cause major problems at Nissan. For example, if Infiniti will build a 500hp platform and cost say 65-70k compared to a GTR which cost 120k base model most ppl performance oriented will probably go for the Infiniti.
I would argue that Nissan should roll the GTR prices under 100k and build a q50 sedan with similar power as the GTR or somewhat close to it and price it higher than current price of 60k. Make it a sport package or something.
I think the Z platform has the same issue. If Nissan would build a 500hp Z car not many would be interested in the GTR especially if it can modded to 600+ hp.

To me the GTR is literally holding down any performance upgrades to lower models like the Z and Q platforms.

So my question is this, which car in Nissan line up is suppose to compete with the the new 50k Toyota Supra... 370Z or the GTR?
If Nissan built a GTR for $80, I may just go for it. That would put it at RS5 pricing but more power and better handling and reliability.

If I had to guess, they are hardly making any money at current pricing.

We criticize nissan with their GTR way too much. It is a LOT of car for the money.

#31 ·
The last thing I saw from Nissan is that they are trying to dissolve the partnership with Renault, and are on save their ass mode, and restructure.

#39 · (Edited)
What is wrong with this site....duplicate posts?

#42 ·
LOL...possibly!

#46 ·

#52 ·
I think we can see a huge rise in hybrid before manufacturers completely switch to 100% electric within their brands. Anyway a bit away from the platform itself , I'd also like to see a revised VR30. This is still new engine with a lot of potential, however being the first itieration, it is expected to have some issues. It has been 4 years since the engine has been released and it is now also available in Japan. Hoping we can see a new variant/or updates to this.

I personally would like to see:
-Resolvement of belt issue/ tensioner
-revised turbos / larger turbos
-Upgraded cooling system for us customers is hotter areas (I'm i Texas)

#63 ·
I personally would like to see:
-Resolvement of belt issue/ tensioner
-revised turbos / larger turbos
-Upgraded cooling system for us customers is hotter areas (I'm i Texas)
Didn't they resolve the belt tensioner issue as well as the turbo issue? I seem to remember reading that some here were having turbos replaced under warranty and that they included a new part number. Larger would be better for sure. It would be nice if they weren't pushing them close to the edge of the efficiency curve. Would be nice to have a bit more headroom in tunes, but then trans becomes the issue.

@babyskyline Do you have any of the upgraded AMS, Frozen Boost or Burger cooling equipment? I'm already planning for the AMX HX, Coolant expansion tank at a minimum, but my car's not going to be here until June probably.

#53 ·
I highly doubt that the engineers at Infiniti didn’t see the turbo cooling issues coming, as evidenced by their attempt to improve the cooling on the red sport model which btw they failed miserably to accomplish. But if you ask me, it looks like they cut corners everywhere they could to save money regardless of the drivability and performance of the car. For this reason Infiniti lost me as a customer and sadly I bought a boat load of cars from them over the years. Cutting corners to this degree of silliness its just bad business. My advice to Infiniti would be to rethink their strategy of trying to gain market share at any cost and concentrate on quality and wants of their customers instead of producing inferior cars and pretending these cars are great because they are not.

#56 ·
I agree with you on this one. I think what was holding them back was the alliance, and unclear direction. I always tell my friends this but even when Nissan /Renault went through tough times, they still delivered a Twin Turbo V6, which a lot for competitors do not have in this class, especially with the price range. So if this is at their worst, I am looking forward to what will come, with new strategy and focusing on quality and new products versus aggressive expansion, as the new CEO mentions. Split from considering split from Renault as mentioned in the news would help I believe.

Currently, Nissan is now in full business sustainability mode. They will do what it takes as a business to stay relevant and have to deliver products that consumers want whether its tech or performance(this has always been in their DNA anyway). So I'm not too worried about them. I'm sure they'll deliver some good stuff.

Few remember Nissan is one and still is of the most innovative car companies in the world when it comes to RnD, they also have many first to market technologies and systems.

#54 ·
I highly doubt that the engineers at Infiniti didn’t see the turbo cooling issues coming, as evidenced by their attempt to improve the cooling on the red sport model which btw they failed miserably to accomplish. But if you ask me, it looks like they cut corners everywhere they could to save money regardless of the drivability and performance of the car. For this reason Infiniti lost me as a customer and sadly I bought a boat load of cars from them over the years. Cutting corners to this degree of silliness its just bad business. My advice to Infiniti would be to rethink their strategy of trying to gain market share at any cost and concentrate on quality and wants of their customers instead of producing inferior cars and pretending these cars are great because they are not.

#55 ·
Hopefully, the newly minted leadership are keen to reverse the manufacturing processes (and the push for volume) that has led Nissan's (INFINITI's) decline in quality-built products. That has been the message ever since Saikawa took over in late 2017 and the new management have been echoing the same policy....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.