Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I bought a 2017 Q50 Red Sport about 8 months ago, and I was so impressed with its speed and response that I decided to try to buy a 2021 version. However, when I test drove it I was super unimpressed. My 2017 is WAY faster, and responds almost immediately when I hit the gas. The sales lady said my car had to be chipped or tuned, but I’m not seeing any aftermarket mods on it. I decided to wait on buying a newer model in hopes of getting some advice from anyone on here. I’m new on here, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have to agree with the sales person, many of these cars are tuned or it might have a JB4 hooked up somewhere in the engine compartment.
It almost sounds your car is tuned though
did you check the exhaust and the heat exchanger up front? is anything replaced?

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Red Sport
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to agree with the sales person, many of these cars are tuned or it might have a JB4 hooked up somewhere in the engine compartment.
It almost sounds your car is tuned though
did you check the exhaust and the heat exchanger up front? is anything replaced?
I didn’t check. I will tomorrow though as I have to work now. I think you might be right. The exhaust looks stock, but I haven’t examined it closely. I should’ve thought to look at the heat exchanger. But would those things really give me a boost like what I’m experiencing? I’ll do some close inspection tomorrow and post more if I find anything.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,397 Posts
I didn’t check. I will tomorrow though as I have to work now. I think you might be right. The exhaust looks stock, but I haven’t examined it closely. I should’ve thought to look at the heat exchanger. But would those things really give me a boost like what I’m experiencing? I’ll do some close inspection tomorrow and post more if I find anything.
I don't think Dci is implying that an aftermarket exhaust or heat exchanger would give you your noticeable power gains, I think he just means it's a sign that the car was modded and, perhaps, has a tune or JB4. But, if both cars are stock, they should perform the same.

Reactions: securityguy

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
942 Posts
New cars often take their time (say miles) to perform better...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Could also be the throttle cut problem on the 2021. ECU reflash needed. The dealership may not even know.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
New cars often take their time (say miles) to perform better...
Break in. Modern cars don't really hit their stride until about 30K miles. A lot of moving parts to loosen up. Not just the engine. And then there is the learning process.

·
Registered
2018 Luxe AWD, Stock + JB4
298 Posts
30k miles? Cars are ready to go at delivery. Small break in period is diligent to purge initial metal wear, but the car's performance is not going to be much if any different brand new....if anything you might see some wear and deterioration starting at 30k.

·
Registered
7 Posts
MY 2018 ran better than my 2021. There are times that the 2021 feels comprable. I'm getting the reflash tomorrow and I'll update but now on my 2021 it seems like at times it doesn't go quite 100% when floored. It also feels like the longer the drive it gradually loses some of the throttle input, boost, etc, almost like the clock is ticking each mile I drive until the pedal becomes less responsive. When it finally happens the gas pedal will be noticably dead, meaning giving it gas, a 1/5 of a pedal and nothing. That is the small throttle input you need to switch lanes, keep up with accelerating traffic, etc. Super annoying,

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
4,639 Posts
Just what I want to buy is a "new" car that has been doing repeated thrashings on a green engine.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
298 Posts
Pretty much everyone here who lease these cars and flip them to a new lease is thrashing them! I bought mine as a former major rental car company vehicle. Normally I would not recommend that, but on this platform enthusiasts seem to lease them and immediately mod them up and race them, then put the old parts back on and turn them in. Rental cars are probably safer as many renting are just going from A to B and there is a chance it was driven normally a good portion of its life.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,397 Posts
Pretty much everyone here who lease these cars and flip them to a new lease is thrashing them! I bought mine as a former major rental car company vehicle. Normally I would not recommend that, but on this platform enthusiasts seem to lease them and immediately mod them up and race them, then put the old parts back on and turn them in. Rental cars are probably safer as many renting are just going from A to B and there is a chance it was driven normally a good portion of its life.
I guess you haven't seen me drive a rental car.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,790 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
6,397 Posts
There is nothing more enjoyable than a nice, high-RPM, neutral drop.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I was told these guys drove it to conventions all across the country - all highway cruising miles!

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,790 Posts

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Premium Member
'17 SS
610 Posts

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
30k miles? Cars are ready to go at delivery. Small break in period is diligent to purge initial metal wear, but the car's performance is not going to be much if any different brand new....if anything you might see some wear and deterioration starting at 30k.
That has not been my experience. If you are seeing deterioration at 30K miles you bought the wrong car. I might expect that from a Hyundai.

·
Registered
2021 Q50 RedSport, MBRP Cat-Back. HKS BOV, AMS LDP, Mishimoto Catch Can
463 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2021, check for the recall status on your vehicle, when I got it done my car performed the way it should, noticeable difference. If you PM me you VIN number I can check to see if your car is listed for the Recall

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
298 Posts
rpiotro - there would be many disappointed Q50 racing enthusiasts out there that lease these brand new and return the cars before 30k miles for a new one. They didn't realize their car was gradually getting faster. Could have saved a ton of money buying one in its prime used over 30k miles! Hey I would love to believe your theory because I bought a used one just over 30k - would make me look brilliant instead of just cheap!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts