Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2021, check for the recall status on your vehicle, when I got it done my car performed the way it should, noticeable difference. If you PM me you VIN number I can check to see if your car is listed for the Recall
What's the recall for?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2021, check for the recall status on your vehicle, when I got it done my car performed the way it should, noticeable difference. If you PM me you VIN number I can check to see if your car is listed for the Recall
I don't care if my VIN is part of their recall. It has the issue no doubt. MY 2020.

·
Registered
2021 Q50 RedSport, MBRP Cat-Back. HKS BOV, AMS LDP, Mishimoto Catch Can
463 Posts
the vehicle's engine control module can substantially cut the engine's power after detecting hard acceleration. This power reduction is accomplished by cutting fuel, and it's possible that the computer could cut the fuel enough to stall the car. The day I took delivery of my car i was pretty disappointed, I've owned three now and know what to expect but this one was not all there, after I got the recall done it was a new car

·
Banned
42 Posts
Hello, I bought a 2017 Q50 Red Sport about 8 months ago, and I was so impressed with its speed and response that I decided to try to buy a 2021 version. However, when I test drove it I was super unimpressed. My 2017 is WAY faster, and responds almost immediately when I hit the gas. The sales lady said my car had to be chipped or tuned, but I’m not seeing any aftermarket mods on it. I decided to wait on buying a newer model in hopes of getting some advice from anyone on here. I’m new on here, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Ever single vehicle I've owned new or close to new has started running better/stronger after it hits 30k miles. Not a crazy difference, just you can tell.

Of course there will be variance between any given model in a lineup, although wouldn't think it would be drastic between one car to the other unless maybe we're talking the highest level of a ringer to a lowest level of a dog.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello, I bought a 2017 Q50 Red Sport about 8 months ago, and I was so impressed with its speed and response that I decided to try to buy a 2021 version. However, when I test drove it I was super unimpressed. My 2017 is WAY faster, and responds almost immediately when I hit the gas. The sales lady said my car had to be chipped or tuned, but I’m not seeing any aftermarket mods on it. I decided to wait on buying a newer model in hopes of getting some advice from anyone on here. I’m new on here, so please forgive me if this has already been discussed.
Same here my bone stock 2018 Q50 red sport I bought brand new felt faster than than my 2021 Q60 Red Sport with the performance package.
I just got rid of my 2018 Q50 Red Sport (stock) and traded it for a 2021 Q60 Red Sport with the performance package(just sounds better). My 2018 definitely felt faster and just by my phone app clocking 0-60 was faster by .1 seconds. I just had the ECU issue and they said it will get a software update later to fix. Hopefully after that it maybe feels a little different.
In a side note it sucks if that ECU issue shows up. Car went into limp mode after passing a car in the freeway. Almost got ran over by a semi trying to get over 3 lanes. Car ran fine after shutting it off and restarting it. But pretty annoying. First time since I bought it in February it has happened.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am sure plenty here are going to say I don’t know what I am talking about, but my old 1999 Honda Accord suddenly opened up at 120,000 miles, after a 4-day cross-country drive. The occasional knocking that the dealer could not resolve went away, too, and it was like a new car.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,790 Posts
I am sure plenty here are going to say I don’t know what I am talking about, but my old 1999 Honda Accord suddenly opened up at 120,000 miles, after a 4-day cross-country drive. The occasional knocking that the dealer could not resolve went away, too, and it was like a new car.
Italian tuneup.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
149 Posts
There is nothing more enjoyable than a nice, high-RPM, neutral drop.
Omg just the other day I though I was in manual and went to downshift but ended up throwing the car back into neutral while hitting the gas, just as I needed power getting on a road. FML.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
rpiotro - there would be many disappointed Q50 racing enthusiasts out there that lease these brand new and return the cars before 30k miles for a new one. They didn't realize their car was gradually getting faster. Could have saved a ton of money buying one in its prime used over 30k miles! Hey I would love to believe your theory because I bought a used one just over 30k - would make me look brilliant instead of just cheap!
I'm not talking about racing the car. Where did you get that notion? Very hard use will loosen it up quicker. Not rocket science.
Why do you think AMG dynos every single engine. And not for a five minute test either.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Same here my bone stock 2018 Q50 red sport I bought brand new felt faster than than my 2021 Q60 Red Sport with the performance package.

I just got rid of my 2018 Q50 Red Sport (stock) and traded it for a 2021 Q60 Red Sport with the performance package(just sounds better). My 2018 definitely felt faster and just by my phone app clocking 0-60 was faster by .1 seconds. I just had the ECU issue and they said it will get a software update later to fix. Hopefully after that it maybe feels a little different.
In a side note it sucks if that ECU issue shows up. Car went into limp mode after passing a car in the freeway. Almost got ran over by a semi trying to get over 3 lanes. Car ran fine after shutting it off and restarting it. But pretty annoying. First time since I bought it in February it has happened.
This is it! I'm sorry others have this issue but I am also happy its not just me. You get no warning that when you are about to pass someone by jumping into a faster lane, that your car will not respond at all to the gas pedal. Quite a safety hazard. I usually turn my car off at every stop light provided I got there early enough in the cycle to be back in gear before the green light. But when it doesn't happen the car rips. I've also noticed something less substantial about acceleration where it doesn't go all out but will pick up speed like a normal car...lol. I remember I was testing my JB4 with 100 octane and when I posted my logs here Avedis said it looked like something was fighting my car. Well ya...the car was fighting itself to go fast. But the way I drive, 13mpg, this is like a nanny that keeps me neutered. Maybe its a good thing. Not what I paid for but its ironic its happening to me.

·
Registered
2018 Luxe AWD, Stock + JB4
298 Posts
rpiotro you said "Break in. Modern cars don't really hit their stride until about 30K miles. A lot of moving parts to loosen up. Not just the engine. And then there is the learning process." in response to someone who is looking for answers on why his brand new Redsport feels SIGNIFICANTLY slower than his old one. 30k mile break in is a ridiculous piece of misinformation so I called it out. It implies people dropping 45k or more on a new car should wait 2-3 years for their car to feel right and that is somehow normal. If you had said 3k miles, no problem. Likely right answer is closer to 1k miles.

My point in brining up the racing enthusiasts is that they are the experts on these cars and are buying them brand new (actually many are leasing them). They could save a boatload of money buying a 2-3 year old one so they would be doing that all day long if they were somehow FASTER after the 30k miles to "hit their stride".

·
Premium Member
'17 SS
610 Posts
the vehicle's engine control module can substantially cut the engine's power after detecting hard acceleration. This power reduction is accomplished by cutting fuel, and it's possible that the computer could cut the fuel enough to stall the car. The day I took delivery of my car i was pretty disappointed, I've owned three now and know what to expect but this one was not all there, after I got the recall done it was a new car
My 2017 does this quite often.

·
Registered
487 Posts
My 2017 does this quite often.
I wonder if a flaw in the code entered the system at some later year and was flashed to your car as part of some service and wasn't listed. Like if that flash is something they would do and not think anything about because to them it should be just the same as always or with minor improvements. Like the software update for navigation. But they were unknowingly updating to a flawed code base.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I personally don’t believe these cars are meant to be raced with factory tune.
i had the same issues, car was pulling timing, hesitation etc but not all the time. It mostly happened if I was accelerating more aggressively for a period of time and sometimes stop and go situations.
After i retuned the car all that nonsense went away.
I’m not sure why these cars are tuned like this but I’m guessing it’s a mix of performance and gas mileage plus cost savings. I also think the engine cooling Infiniti designed this car for does not allow for high performance tune from factory. The engine will suffer overheating/ heat soaking issues.
For example, by installing an heat exchanger and opening up the exhaust will allow this car to run much better even with factory tune.
After I modded my car, it runs the way it’s suppose to run. No hesitation, it doesn’t pull timing, it doesn’t heat soak if I go after it unless I go crazy hard, no turbo issues, no belt issues or anything like that.
I believe these cars are great but they need to be updated for a more aggressive driving style.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hell ya! After I get my wife to stick her small hands back in my engine to dig out the JB4 and all its fixins I will take it to get the reflash. Then I am really considering a full tune along with the heat exchanger and lower down pipes with a CBE. Flex fuel kit next since I'm in SoCal and all we get is 91 which I'd say is like the Coors Lite of premium gas. The car is incredible for short spurts when the stupid ECU isn't acting up. My 2018 was perfect until the belt problem. I coulda kept it and fully addressed that problem but I fell in love with these white seats with red stitching.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 Luxe 3.0T
3 Posts

after driving this 2021 red sport for 2 months I can agreewith some other posters that it has a delayed function but that’s when the carhas been pushed hard all day. I raced a Tesla p100 (or whatever the numbers were) an I had to sport+ to stay neck n neck but it was early morning an only been riding for 30mins from cold start

21 - 37 of 37 Posts