· Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,960 Posts
2004 all over again.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

· Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,960 Posts
Will they have a Chip Foose Edition" (two tone) in 2024?

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Car

• Haha
Reactions: twin_snails

· Registered
1,320 Posts
I remember when that similar color came out on the '96 Cobra (called Mystic)...it was pretty neat, but IIRC also added like $800 and of course somewhat rare. Imagine trying to do a touch up on that? Yikes!

Looks like the Q color adds $2,200. Not something I'd want to add...My CTS-V had a $995 paint option and thought that was nutz.

The Q paint option is a little pricey, but nothing compared to the $8,000+ price of the "Maverick Noir Frost Matte Black" on the Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing. There are even more absurd options on other marques...Want to say one of them on a Land Rover (?) is like a $20k option. Crazy!

· Premium Member
904 Posts
Damn for some reason looking at those pics I still love it but just not as much anymore once seeing it in person. For some reason it looks more greenish than purplish. I wanted it too look like these pics here.
Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Wheel

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Automotive design Font Helmet Screenshot Magenta

· Premium Member
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could be worse. Cadillic just realeased a 'new' color: Frost Noir. The rest of us know it at matte black. Just above $8k. 🤦‍♂️

· Premium Member
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I remember when that similar color came out on the '96 Cobra (called Mystic)...it was pretty neat, but IIRC also added like $800 and of course somewhat rare. Imagine trying to do a touch up on that? Yikes!

Looks like the Q color adds $2,200. Not something I'd want to add...My CTS-V had a $995 paint option and thought that was nutz.

The Q paint option is a little pricey, but nothing compared to the $8,000+ price of the "Maverick Noir Frost Matte Black" on the Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing. There are even more absurd options on other marques...Want to say one of them on a Land Rover (?) is like a $20k option. Crazy!
Didn't see this before responding. Ha

Reactions: JNR

· Registered
1,320 Posts
Didn't see this before responding. Ha
It was kind of buried in the paragraph...I remembered that $$ as my friend was just telling me about it last weekend. Thought that was crazy, especially for a matte finish. May as well get a regular color and put a nice wrap on it. Doubt it'll ever be worth the premium down the road with that option.

· Registered
7,054 Posts
When a car company is only offering new paint colors for their products and not making meaningful investment in its development you know its a baaad sign.

· Registered
34 Posts
Wanted to see some sort of final edition of the gas Q and was hoping it would amount to more than a few cosmetic touches but makes sense why that is what it is. Some unique wheels would have set it off or, I'm just crazy but, a couple ventilated seats. Just feels like a crime to charge someone full msrp including the 2k paint for one of these lol. It's like the 60+ divorcee who goes for botox and hair dye. One last shade of lipstick on a decade old design. Still looks pretty though and for now i'll still ride it :)

· Registered
2021 Q50 Sig. Edition
304 Posts
When a car company is only offering new paint colors for their products and not making meaningful investment in its development you know its a baaad sign.
They haven't made a meaningful investment in this car in something like 9 years. It's a fun car, but it isn't exactly cutting edge. I bought mine because I missed driving a G37, but also because I got a big discount in 2021 when everyone else was marking up cars. The fact that they were still deeply discounting the Q when people were paying $2k premiums above MSRP for Sonatas speaks volumes.

I think the new paint is pretty ugly, but the real insult will arrive the first time someone needs a panel repainted. ($$$$)

· Registered
2,702 Posts
I think the new paint is pretty ugly, but the real insult will arrive the first time someone needs a panel repainted. ($$$$)
I agree. I don't understand what is so great about this paint. It seems too quirky to me. I'd take Iridium Blue or Sunstone Red over this color any day.

Reactions: Scarlet RaceCar

· Premium Member
904 Posts
I agree. I don't understand what is so great about this paint. It seems to quirky to me. I'd take Iridium Blue or Sunstone Red over this cover any day.
Same sentiments towards it. At first glance I loved it but then once you see it in real time meaning on the road and sunlight its good and a little weird. But not better than Malbec Black which I stll think is one of the best colors on the Q50.

· Registered
2021 Q50 Sig. Edition
304 Posts
It's no Mystic Cobra that's for sure.
I heard the paint on this new Q50 was originally called Mudyuck, but they changed it for marketing purposes.

Mystic paint was amazing. I wonder if it has held up on those cars over the years -- I'm sure many of them are still sitting in garages under covers most of the year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts