Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
‘19 Q50 RS400 AWD
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I posted not too long ago asking similar question but that was with the lower MAP settings. It seems on the next highest map, from my race map, peak boost is around 19-19.5 psi which I felt is ok for a few seconds during a dig or rolling WOT. But, when I choose the race map and accelerate at or near WOT using manual shifting I’ve noticed peak boost of 22psi, so MAP being 35.5-36psi and atmospheric around 14.1-14.4. This isn’t for just a second or two like at the lower maps, the race map will hold at 35-36 psi throughout the power band, so for about 3-8 seconds depending on how long I’m mashing the throttle.

Now I don’t drive around with the race map(map 1), usually at stock(map4) or just above stock (map 3) for daily driving, I’ll sometimes throw it into medium(map 2) where peak boost is 19-19.5 for a second or two if I’m running alongside someone. However when I go to drag strip, which I’ve done once so far, I use race mode. If I limit the usage of that race map, is peak boost of 22 psi something I should talk to
My tuner about or not worry since I rarely(if at all) use it while dailying? The car makes 428whp and 506wtq, I’m assuming that’s on the race map; should I speak with tuner about lowering peak boost or should I send them data logs? I sent data logs early on using all 4 maps and they said it was ok so perhaps I’m freaking out over nothing. Please advise.
FYI- it’s a Q50 red sport, it was dyno tuned at AMS using ecutek software. AMS LDP’s, FI CBE & AMS Htxchanger.

Edit: no issues thus far, just want to ensure I’m operating as “safe” as possible with my tune. And running pump gas 91/93

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,865 Posts
Looks like someone else is trying to join maxlegends' "Boost 'till you blow it up" club, especially if you're using pump gas.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
‘19 Q50 RS400 AWD
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like someone else is trying to join maxlegends' "Boost 'till you blow it up" club, especially if you're using pump gas.
I’m not trying to “boost ‘til I blow it up,” which is why I’m asking the question on this forum. Thought it was a place to get help and answers, not be ridiculed. Any course of action I should take? I didn’t take it to my tuner and say, “I want to blow my engine.”

they told me they would tune for safe boost. I want to know what to say to them so they don’t dismiss me again, which I felt like they did last time after viewing my data logs.

edit: I also feel like you read the title then decided to make a funny quip comment. If you actually read the comment you would see I put detailed info in it and asked a lot of questions. I definitely don’t want to blow my engine, I want help.

Reactions: Phagan90 and brazza

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
You left out what fuel. Heck forget the fuel. Either way it's not good for the turbos themselves, especially because you said it's a flat boost not tapered. As far as the engine health, it would depend on octane as I mentioned.

·
Registered
‘19 Q50 RS400 AWD
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You left out what fuel. Heck forget the fuel. Either way it's not good for the turbos themselves, especially because you said it's a flat boost not tapered. As far as the engine health, it would depend on octane as I mentioned.
Pump gas, they tuned it with 91 in the tank, which I told them(the tuner). Did it through AMS out of West Chicago.

edit: also idk how to tell if it’s flat boost or tapered, tuner didn’t tell me either or and idk how to confirm what I have. It doesn’t go straight up to 22psi boost, it seems to build up to it.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,865 Posts
I’m not trying to “boost ‘til I blow it up,” which is why I’m asking the question on this forum. Thought it was a place to get help and answers, not be ridiculed. Any course of action I should take? I didn’t take it to my tuner and say, “I want to blow my engine.”

they told me they would tune for safe boost. I want to know what to say to them so they don’t dismiss me again, which I felt like they did last time after viewing my data logs.

edit: I also feel like you read the title then decided to make a funny quip comment. If you actually read the comment you would see I put detailed info in it and asked a lot of questions. I definitely don’t want to blow my engine, I want help.
I guess I should have put a smiley after that. No ridicule intended. If you knew who maxlegends is, you might have got the joke. My bad.

You didn't indicate what fuel you were using with that kill tune which is a pretty vital piece of information and now that you have, I would say that running 91 octane fuel at 22 PSI is nothing I would do and I'm curious as to your tuner's reasoning for doing so on 91 octane. I don't consider that to be a safe tune but I haven't seen any of your logs. If I were you, I would go back to the tuner and have him dial that back but it's your car.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Knowing AMS it's not at 22psi for very long. They do like it to peak there at max psi but it's tapered off quickly. They have tons of cars at that psi on 93. If it was tuned there and checked on the street by the tuner I would not be concerned. If you are, just run about town on your lower tunes and save the kill tune for the track.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,865 Posts
Knowing AMS it's not at 22psi for very long. They do like it to peak there at max psi but it's tapered off quickly. They have tons of cars at that psi on 93. If it was tuned there and checked on the street by the tuner I would not be concerned. If you are, just run about town on your lower tunes and save the kill tune for the track.
How many cars do they have running 91 octane at that boost?

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,682 Posts
My AMS tune is for 22 PSI but thats on 93 octane and with Pure Stage Two turbos.

From AMS:

"Attached is your final calibration as well as the stock calibration.

Your current map switch slots are as follows.

MAP1 : WG PRESS (Baby boost map)

MAP2 : 93oct LOW – 17psi

MAP3 : 93oct HIGH – 22psi

MAP4 : 100oct RACE – 24psi"

Reactions: twin_snails

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
How many cars do they have running 91 octane at that boost?
No idea.. Guessing that they just pull out the timing and call it good? I'd ask the AMS tuner.

I only run top tier 93 octane.

One thing that I can say in comparing my AMS tune to the other tuner that I've used is they run more boost and less timing while the other tuner did the opposite. Kind of a balancing act. Pick your poison.

You can get a lot of miles out of these turbos, even tuned, if you don't beat the piss out of the car daily and ignore oil changes etc.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My AMS tune is for 22 PSI but thats on 93 octane and with Pure Stage Two turbos.

From AMS:

"Attached is your final calibration as well as the stock calibration.

Your current map switch slots are as follows.

MAP1 : WG PRESS (Baby boost map)

MAP2 : 93oct LOW – 17psi

MAP3 : 93oct HIGH – 22psi

MAP4 : 100oct RACE – 24psi"
On pure turbos that’s perfectly fine

·
Registered
‘19 Q50 RS400 AWD
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
22 psi on 91 is dumb and irresponsible of the tuner unless you were explicitly told to run higher octane on that map.
Yea they didn’t really tell me much. I filled out info sheet before they put it on the dyno, I marked pump gas 91. I would assume the race tune is for 93 octane, which I filled up on before going to the drag strip. I feel like they would be more explanatory after having paid them almost 2k for the tune alone but alas I’m turning to the q forum for answers. When I specifically asked about what the boost range would be this is the exact quote from the service rep I was working with at AMS.

“Every car is going to be different. During the tuning process our tuners will properly determine the safest boost level during max effort on the dyno for the highest map. Contrary to what many believe, higher boost PSI ≠ to more power. We're looking for a target boost pressure that maximizes turbo efficiency to make the most power out of the car. So in short, I do not know yet but 20-23psi is common for a high map
You will have 4 maps, High, Medium, Low and ECO (around stock)”

The high map ended up being called “race” for me but yea that is all the details I got out of AMS service rep.

·
Registered
‘19 Q50 RS400 AWD
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I have my tune set at 19 psi max, I don’t think 22psi is safe.
I don’t typically use the race MAP as it is getting up to 22psi of boost, but with the lower maps the highest it’s went is 19psi of boost. I usually drive around with the stock map or just above stock map at 16psi. So I feel like with some info I got from others, if I want to use the race MAP I should fill up on 93 octane before going to the drag strip. If this is still ill-advised I’d like to go back to my tuner but idk how to go about it as far as how to bring up my concerns to them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I posted not too long ago asking similar question but that was with the lower MAP settings. It seems on the next highest map, from my race map, peak boost is around 19-19.5 psi which I felt is ok for a few seconds during a dig or rolling WOT. But, when I choose the race map and accelerate at or near WOT using manual shifting I’ve noticed peak boost of 22psi, so MAP being 35.5-36psi and atmospheric around 14.1-14.4. This isn’t for just a second or two like at the lower maps, the race map will hold at 35-36 psi throughout the power band, so for about 3-8 seconds depending on how long I’m mashing the throttle.

Now I don’t drive around with the race map(map 1), usually at stock(map4) or just above stock (map 3) for daily driving, I’ll sometimes throw it into medium(map 2) where peak boost is 19-19.5 for a second or two if I’m running alongside someone. However when I go to drag strip, which I’ve done once so far, I use race mode. If I limit the usage of that race map, is peak boost of 22 psi something I should talk to
My tuner about or not worry since I rarely(if at all) use it while dailying? The car makes 428whp and 506wtq, I’m assuming that’s on the race map; should I speak with tuner about lowering peak boost or should I send them data logs? I sent data logs early on using all 4 maps and they said it was ok so perhaps I’m freaking out over nothing. Please advise.
FYI- it’s a Q50 red sport, it was dyno tuned at AMS using ecutek software. AMS LDP’s, FI CBE & AMS Htxchanger.

Edit: no issues thus far, just want to ensure I’m operating as “safe” as possible with my tune. And running pump gas 91/93

just send a log/questions back to your tuner, i have similar setup tuned on e30 with AMS, i had no issues so far. they taper of the boost pretty well, its not like ure constantly hitting 22+ psi all the time,

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,682 Posts
On pure turbos that’s perfectly fine
Yep, I knew that. I was just showing that with my Pure Stage 2 turbos and 93 octane, AMS only went to 22 PSI.

·
Registered
‘19 Q50 RS400 AWD
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just send a log/questions back to your tuner, i have similar setup tuned on e30 with AMS, i had no issues so far. they taper of the boost pretty well, its not like ure constantly hitting 22+ psi all the time,
True about the boost only being temporary and tapering but with e30 are you using different turbos and/or hp/lp fuel pumps?

·
Registered
375 Posts
just send a log/questions back to your tuner
^ this right here. "I have attached a log/uploaded a log to Dropbox/Box/whatever of a few recent drives and some hard pulls. Would you please review the logs, as I have a concern with the peak boost being observed while running 91 octane and would appreciate your feedback?"

If you selected any "drag" or "racing" options on the pre-tune form, they likely created a Race map with 93 octane (because why on Earth would you ever go to a drag strip with 91 octane?) While you reach out to them regarding the log, maybe ask what fuels the different maps are designed for.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts