Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don’t typically use the race MAP as it is getting up to 22psi of boost, but with the lower maps the highest it’s went is 19psi of boost. I usually drive around with the stock map or just above stock map at 16psi. So I feel like with some info I got from others, if I want to use the race MAP I should fill up on 93 octane before going to the drag strip. If this is still ill-advised I’d like to go back to my tuner but idk how to go about it as far as how to bring up my concerns to them.
If you don’t plan to replace the turbos, even the race map should be 19psi. The benefit of keep peaking these stock small turbos at 22-23psi not worth damaging them for no good reason.
As far as how to ask the tuner, just let him know you don’t feel comfortable with 23psi and want them dialed back at 19. That’s the conversation I had with my tuner.
My car is tuned at 19psi and I have plenty of power on any gear with wide power band and quick pick up off the line. That‘s why I got a custom street tune to my personal preference.
Im by no means going for records or abuse the car, I do however like to have spirited drives and friendly races now and then. Not many cars can beat me. Just the other day I was right on the tails of two bikes racing each other. I had no problem being right there with them with plenty to spare at about 120-130mph very quickly.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Just the other day I was right on the tails of two bikes racing each other. I had no problem being right there with them with plenty to spare at about 120-130mph very quickly.
LOL - I have a local stretch of divided highway which is about a mile + long with no exits, and motorcyclists will come blazing up your six if you are in the left lane, even doing 15-20 over. I'll move over and let them pass and they'll typically gun it, and then I'll roll on the power and catch up to them side-by-side before I need to exit. They'll look over with the most incredulous expression on their faces... :eek:

Oh, my Q is typically on Seb's 1.3 bar map.

·
Registered
‘19 Q50 RS400 AWD
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
So I just realized, AMS has it down as 93octane on the dyno report and 93 octane on the work order receipt, although I know I had 91 in the tank, I only get gas from Costco and they only have 91. So does that perhaps answer why they are using so much boost in the race map? To attain similar power numbers with a lower octane? I have to say I’m not very thrilled with the customer service or attention to detail from AMS. They don’t see any issue running 22psi boost with stock turbos and pump gas so I guess my only choice is to just not use the race map for fear of having engine troubles down the line.
Edit: also apparently they didn’t have an AWD dyno so they just unplugged the AWD wire connector and ran it on a regular dyno. Which I didn’t know was the case until after I got the car back with AWD codes. They have since been cleared but I feel like they did a bunch of stuff haphazardly where as they could have made me aware from the beginning. I would have done a street tune if I knew they didn’t have the proper dyno for my vehicle. Be careful with AMS Chicago, ask them a lot of questions and get specifics. Nothing is wrong with the vehicle yet but I can’t help but have a sour taste in my
Mouth after spending thousands and feeling like they didn’t take any precautions with my vehicle.

·
Registered
2017 Q50S
124 Posts
They have an AWD dyno for sure, did they tell you they uplugged it ? If not then it may just be from the testing of launch control. It's really easy to over power the AWD and set a code.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
So I just realized, AMS has it down as 93octane on the dyno report and 93 octane on the work order receipt, although I know I had 91 in the tank, I only get gas from Costco and they only have 91. So does that perhaps answer why they are using so much boost in the race map? To attain similar power numbers with a lower octane? I have to say I’m not very thrilled with the customer service or attention to detail from AMS. They don’t see any issue running 22psi boost with stock turbos and pump gas so I guess my only choice is to just not use the race map for fear of having engine troubles down the line.
Edit: also apparently they didn’t have an AWD dyno so they just unplugged the AWD wire connector and ran it on a regular dyno. Which I didn’t know was the case until after I got the car back with AWD codes. They have since been cleared but I feel like they did a bunch of stuff haphazardly where as they could have made me aware from the beginning. I would have done a street tune if I knew they didn’t have the proper dyno for my vehicle. Be careful with AMS Chicago, ask them a lot of questions and get specifics. Nothing is wrong with the vehicle yet but I can’t help but have a sour taste in my
Mouth after spending thousands and feeling like they didn’t take any precautions with my vehicle.
Did you ship your car there? It sounds like you have no idea about AMS and have not even went there. They are a Top Notch shop.

·
Registered
‘19 Q50 RS400 AWD
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
They have an AWD dyno for sure, did they tell you they uplugged it ? If not then it may just be from the testing of launch control. It's really easy to over power the AWD and set a code.
They told me they unplugged it for the dyno, he didn’t explain why, just said that they did so when I asked about it. It threw a code for a little longer after the tune, I reached out and they told me to check under the car near the rear dif and make sure the connector was secure. I did so, then reset DTC logs and now code is gone.

·
Registered
‘19 Q50 RS400 AWD
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Did you ship your car there? It sounds like you have no idea about AMS and have not even went there. They are a Top Notch shop.
Dude, don’t get all accusatory on me now, that’s definitely not cool. I’ve been going to AMS in West Chicago for over a year, I’ve brought my car in there twice. I’m local-ish, from Chicago. They initially did my LDP and exhaust last year, which then had a rattling sound as the x-pipe was making contact with the x-pipe lower guard/shroud. They couldn’t get me back in the shop for months apparently, even though they had just performed the work a day before, so I took care of that issue myself. I ignored this lack of service because I still read good things about their tuning services. It wasn’t a deal breaker, I have just never worked with a shop before that couldn’t make time to fine tune the fitment on a part they installed that was giving a customers vehicle problems.

About a month ago I came in for a tune, they installed stillen rear sway bar, AMS heat exchanger, then dyno tuned the vehicle. They never told me they would need to unplug any AWD system wires, they never said I would have codes for AWD system, as well as anti-lock brakes, even though I assumed the latter. Not to mention the issue of the gas, being 91 in the tank; they didn’t specify to come in with 93, I only fill up 91 because it’s what I’ve always done since purchasing the vehicle brand new and it’s what Costco has. Then my Dyno report and work order receipt both show 93 so you could imagine why I would at least want clarity on that situation. I emailed them and they said whatever it had in the tank they tuned it for, signaling to me they have no clue what was in it when they tuned it, despite all the reports showing 93.

Not to mention the day of the tune, they told me
they would call when it was finished, I waited in the area(as we had discussed) for 8-9 hours and they never called me. My fiancé took me to the shop right before it closed and the guy I was working with was dumbfounded I was there to pick it up. They still got it to me by end of day, waited about 30 minutes past closing time and then had to have the Bluetooth module next day mailed. That was fine as well, installed it got the app but if I had never went to the shop when it was closing I would have had to go back home and come back the next day after already waiting in the area for 8 hours and take a day off work. It isn’t that far of a drive but still 1.5-2 hours each way. So to me, that is all subpar customer service. I like the performance of the vehicle but with all the above factors stated it has me slightly concerned, hence the OP.

Reactions: sigedition3.0T

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Dude, don’t get all accusatory on me now, that’s definitely not cool. I’ve been going to AMS in West Chicago for over a year, I’ve brought my car in there twice. I’m local-ish, from Chicago. They initially did my LDP and exhaust last year, which then had a rattling sound as the x-pipe was making contact with the x-pipe lower guard/shroud. They couldn’t get me back in the shop for months apparently, even though they had just performed the work a day before, so I took care of that issue myself. I ignored this lack of service because I still read good things about their tuning services. It wasn’t a deal breaker, I have just never worked with a shop before that couldn’t make time to fine tune the fitment on a part they installed that was giving a customers vehicle problems.

About a month ago I came in for a tune, they installed stillen rear sway bar, AMS heat exchanger, then dyno tuned the vehicle. They never told me they would need to unplug any AWD system wires, they never said I would have codes for AWD system, as well as anti-lock brakes, even though I assumed the latter. Not to mention the issue of the gas, being 91 in the tank; they didn’t specify to come in with 93, I only fill up 91 because it’s what I’ve always done since purchasing the vehicle brand new and it’s what Costco has. Then my Dyno report and work order receipt both show 93 so you could imagine why I would at least want clarity on that situation. I emailed them and they said whatever it had in the tank they tuned it for, signaling to me they have no clue what was in it when they tuned it, despite all the reports showing 93.

Not to mention the day of the tune, they told me
they would call when it was finished, I waited in the area(as we had discussed) for 8-9 hours and they never called me. My fiancé took me to the shop right before it closed and the guy I was working with was dumbfounded I was there to pick it up. They still got it to me by end of day, waited about 30 minutes past closing time and then had to have the Bluetooth module next day mailed. That was fine as well, installed it got the app but if I had never went to the shop when it was closing I would have had to go back home and come back the next day after already waiting in the area for 8 hours and take a day off work. It isn’t that far of a drive but still 1.5-2 hours each way. So to me, that is all subpar customer service. I like the performance of the vehicle but with all the above factors stated it has me slightly concerned, hence the OP.
Not trying to be accusatory. Sorry. You did not explain all of this the first time you posted and it appeared that you were not there when you were tuned as you did not know they had an AWD dyno.

Question.. When you log WOT runs do you see any knock retard?

Who did your tune on the dyno? Was it Jake? Did they check your tune on the street afterwards as well?

Sadly it sounds like a bad experience. You don't normally have this happen with AMS. Hopefully you get it fixed to your liking. Good luck.

·
Registered
2017 Q50S
124 Posts
On a side note your tune is likely optimized to whatever was in your tank so even if the paper says 93 it was tuned to the limits of the fuel in your tank. If you are concerned you can grab some logs to see if you are hitting any kr. It does sound like you had a rough experience.

On the 22 psi I was looking at my logs from the track 2 days ago and it really is tapered up. Most of the time it is under 20 even at wot so they definitely aren't commanding 22 throughout the rpm

I had my car done at the shop recently and had a much better experience. I did wait a couple months to get the car in but happy with the results in the end.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah I havent worked with them but I've been hearing lots of service issues, perhaps they are overwhelmed with backlog work.

Seb at SepecialtyZ tuned my car remotely and it took a good month and a half of backs and forwards. Seb always apologized for the delay but I gave the guy a break and didnt push much, at the end of the day the car drivers like a dream.

Also, I dont think AMS would be increasing boost because of lower octane, if anything, I'd be the opposite - to avoid knock/detonation issues.

Lastly, I had this same rattle after a shop installed my LDPs and the very next day they fixed it by just removing the damn brace (with my approval).

I've been sticking with a good local master mechanic shop, the guys know me and the car, have done a number of mods to it. Next week I'm taking it in for a bunch of the pending stuff that is listed in my signature. Excited to see how the car will handle after!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
signaling to me they have no clue what was in it when they tuned it, despite all the reports showing 93.
I am sure 93 is their default unless you specify differently, and something may have gotten overlooked/missed that lead to this. I absolutely cannot believe AMS would "tune it for 93" and push it out the door with it running on 91 octane because they would likely be seeing knock retard values while on the dyno and taking it for a street drive at which point they would modify the tune until it is running smoothly on the fuel in the tank. It would simply be such an amateur-level move that I find it hard to believe a highly reputable shop would do it. Messed up paperwork? Oh, I absolutely believe that. I frequently see messed-up paperwork in some of the most regulated fields.

exhaust last year, which then had a rattling sound as the x-pipe was making contact with the x-pipe lower guard/shroud.
A very common issue with aftermarket exhausts, and it can even creep up 10 miles or even 100 miles down the road as vibrations and heat cause flexing and placement to shift slightly. Not a great look if they handed you the keys and happened immediately, but I see how this could have happened after everything validated fine to them.

that is all subpar customer service.
I will always be blunt--I didn't have the best customer experience in my first interaction with AMS--similar to yours, the salesperson I was working with was a bit "cold and distant" in communication; however, they absolutely went above and beyond for me. When I look at that first experience, I see little things I could nitpick but accept because I don't need the warm and fuzzy bedside manners--I want the best I can get. You may get a more "involved" and seemingly caring experience from some of the smaller shops, so keep that in mind if it is important to you (I use "you" as a general audience).

·
Registered
822 Posts
My AMS tuned Q50 is running 22.5PSI race map on 91 oct for literally like a year now and its been fine. They tuned mine remotely and it was a good experience. I had worries about the high PSI as well but they reassured it was safe. After doing a few runs and looking at the logs, it was fine.

Like it was mentioned here, they aren't commanding the max PSI throughout the RPM.

·
Premium Member
18 RS Q50 RWD
113 Posts
A wheels up Lamborghini? That’s hubris, you don’t buy into that, you short it. Now this 22psi business. I own an ams tune that’s never going in now

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Having reviewed multiple AMS logs and even pointed out issues that the customer then brought to AMS' attention and subsequently ended up with a new flash that removed the issue.....My take is that AMS pushes the envelope and has done so many cars that they have an idea of what a ballpark tune and "safe" looks like, but they ignore some of the details. Their bedside manner can be less than stellar unless you're spending big money with them, and details can get lost or left out. Obviously experiences may differ, but this is a general impression based on seeing many posts as well as looking at logs.

·
Registered
‘19 Q50 RS400 AWD
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Having reviewed multiple AMS logs and even pointed out issues that the customer then brought to AMS' attention and subsequently ended up with a new flash that removed the issue.....My take is that AMS pushes the envelope and has done so many cars that they have an idea of what a ballpark tune and "safe" looks like, but they ignore some of the details. Their bedside manner can be less than stellar unless you're spending big money with them, and details can get lost or left out. Obviously experiences may differ, but this is a general impression based on seeing many posts as well as looking at logs.
Lol, idk about you but I personally would consider $5k worth of voluntary vehicle work as “big money.” Even for someone who takes home 6 figures after taxes that’s 5% of their yearly income, nothing to sneeze at. While I think the performance is unmatched, it’s like they have in their heads they’re the best so they don’t need to be careful or listen to people’s concerns and their service fails for it. I usually expect as my dollars spent goes up, so does the service. I’ve never spent so much money in my life on something outside of a car or home purchase and had such lackluster attention to detail. I’m just noticing now after having x-pipe replaced w/resonated that is now whacking on something when I go over bumps, so second time in a year AMS exhaust work has to be trouble shot and tweaked by me because they can’t get be bothered to fine tune fitment on a part they installed.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Lol, idk about you but I personally would consider $5k worth of voluntary vehicle work as “big money.” Even for someone who takes home 6 figures after taxes that’s 5% of their yearly income, nothing to sneeze at. While I think the performance is unmatched, it’s like they have in their heads they’re the best so they don’t need to be careful or listen to people’s concerns and their service fails for it. I usually expect as my dollars spent goes up, so does the service. I’ve never spent so much money in my life on something outside of a car or home purchase and had such lackluster attention to detail. I’m just noticing now after having x-pipe replaced w/resonated that is now whacking on something when I go over bumps, so second time in a year AMS exhaust work has to be trouble shot and tweaked by me because they can’t get be bothered to fine tune fitment on a part they installed.
$5k is alot of money to most people, but not really to a shop on the scale of an AMS. 5 figure minimum. Your comment about their ego is spot on....and typical of a shop like that as well as another performance option that isn't a tune on this platform ;)

·
Registered
2019 Q50S Signature Edition RWD
87 Posts
I had a similar experience at Jotech Motorsports here is Dallas. It was not a pleasant experince with lots of ups and downs and many DCT codes. They had my power and psi max out where their explaination was that's how we like all our cars. Very very little communication but I didn't pay 2K more like $1K. They did have 4 wheel dyno machines but I was 2 wheel drive where I'm [pretty shocked AMS did not have the ability to run your car on their 4-wheel dyno. They tune all kinds of 4-wheel drive cars there. I feel for you man. I got rid of my jotech tune a couple months later and went with Hussain at Racebox Houston. He's a very good tuner so if things don't work out at AMS contact Hussain Boxwalla. My car immediately ran better and my high whp map is between 19-19.5 third/forth gear and 17.5 max second and like 16 psi for first. Turbos taper down a couple numbers towards the shifts. I'm on strictly 93 only gas. My car's temps are very manageable and fueling is good and AFR as I send in logs just for me to keep tabs on things.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I had a similar experience at Jotech Motorsports here is Dallas. It was not a pleasant experince with lots of ups and downs and many DCT codes. They had my power and psi max out where their explaination was that's how we like all our cars. Very very little communication but I didn't pay 2K more like $1K. They did have 4 wheel dyno machines but I was 2 wheel drive where I'm [pretty shocked AMS did not have the ability to run your car on their 4-wheel dyno. They tune all kinds of 4-wheel drive cars there. I feel for you man. I got rid of my jotech tune a couple months later and went with Hussain at Racebox Houston. He's a very good tuner so if things don't work out at AMS contact Hussain Boxwalla. My car immediately ran better and my high whp map is between 19-19.5 third/forth gear and 17.5 max second and like 16 psi for first. Turbos taper down a couple numbers towards the shifts. I'm on strictly 93 only gas. My car's temps are very manageable and fueling is good and AFR as I send in logs just for me to keep tabs on things.
Care to post a log?

·
Registered
2019 Q50S Signature Edition RWD
87 Posts
Care to post a log?
I post logs all the time and have shared them here and at Youtube. Are you saying a Jotech log or Hussain tune log?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts