Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I'm one of the unfortunate remaining Q50-less souls, I got an email from my "backup" dealer with a pretty intriguing offer: a 24-hour Q50 test drive. Never had done an overnight test drive before, but this will provide me w/ solid time to get up close & personal with it. I'll probably do it when I get home on Monday. Has anyone else gotten this type of opportunity?
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Automotive design

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: gbert15

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
I always take a car home overnight before buying - never had a issue with the dealers allowing it. My wife hates driving with the salespeople in the car and I like having some time to play with everything without feeling rushed.

It's interesting to note that the only time I did not buy a car after an overnight test drive was when the dealer pushed me to do one with a used car and I wasn't really into the car to begin with.

I also like decompressing and getting over the feeling of having the new car. When it's available at will and sitting in the garage it helps to calm the 'gotta have it' syndrome and I've always felt better about moving forward with the purchase.

I'm not sure what the test drive stock will be like for dealers this early on so their ability to do this might be severely limited for a while. Either way, it's a nice offer. Definitely take them up on it and have fun!

Reactions: chicagokevo

·
Registered
302 Posts
As I'm one of the unfortunate remaining Q50-less souls, I got an email from my "backup" dealer with a pretty intriguing offer: a 24-hour Q50 test drive. Never had done an overnight test drive before, but this will provide me w/ solid time to get up close & personal with it. I'll probably do it when I get home on Monday. Has anyone else gotten this type of opportunity?
View attachment 4953

Actually, I asked my dealer if I could take one late in the day and bring it back the next morning. I was denied.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Most won't for obvious liability issues as well as miles that can quickly rack up on a car doing overnight td's.. what happens if you crash the $50,000 car? You can fix it, but how do you "retail" a new vehicle with a bad car fax? Lol..

They used to be more common years ago, but most stay away from doing so now..

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
View attachment 4953

Nice! Grubbs Infiniti seems to be a nice and reputable place! Its cool that you get that chance to get a better feel of the Q50 before purchase!

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most won't for obvious liability issues as well as miles that can quickly rack up on a car doing overnight td's.. what happens if you crash the $50,000 car? You can fix it, but how do you "retail" a new vehicle with a bad car fax? Lol..

They used to be more common years ago, but most stay away from doing so now..
I'm assuming they'll write up the temporary insurance deal that they do when I pick up a loaner car. My insurance covers me in loaner cars. I'll find out shortly how this is gonna work. He's going to even bring the car to me. They're definitely working to steal my business away from the other dealer.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm assuming they'll write up the temporary insurance deal that they do when I pick up a loaner car. My insurance covers me in loaner cars. I'll find out shortly how this is gonna work. He's going to even bring the car to me. They're definitely working to steal my business away from the other dealer.

Not saying that some dealers wont roll the dice, but most won't.. insurance is always good.. BUT if you crash it, how can they sell it once insurance takes care of the repair? That scares off a lot of dealers.. that was my only point

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not saying that some dealers wont roll the dice, but most won't.. insurance is always good.. BUT if you crash it, how can they sell it once insurance takes care of the repair? That scares off a lot of dealers.. that was my only point
Yea I get your point & I'm not dismissive of that perspective. I guess when you're not the most popular dealership in the area & looking to take away business from the Big Boys across town, then that's a risk worth taking. They're certainly impressing me. Besides, any test drive (even if it's around the block with the salesman) can result in the car getting totaled. Who's to say Random Joe riding around the block won't accidentally hit the gas instead of brakes & runs right through a wall? What if a huge rainstorm came through town & flooded the lot? What if a meteor came down and hit the dealer lot? In all cases, there's always a chance something catastrophic could happen. It's all relative.

Reactions: cvipgo

·
Registered
302 Posts
Jason - I completely understand the mileage, wear and tear and potential risk in allowing test drives. All those risks are inherent to test drives whether for 10 minutes or 10 hours. Dealers must have this factored into the cost of running the business and they too, must have significant insurance to deal with the potential loss of a new vehicle.

This is a very different car from anything Infiniti has done to date. It is already showing its flaws. I can't make a $53k purchase decision in 10 minutes. If a dealer isn't willing to let me drive the car for at least a couple of hours then they are not worthy of my business. If someone occasionally wants it for longer and they are a loyal brand and dealership customer, it should be a no brainer.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Did you take Grubbs up on their offer? I'm in the exact same situation as you and also got an offer (via automated email) to do the "Valet Plus" 24hr test drive. Let us know if you decide to do it and good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
It's all about getting your business. A dealer is an independent business and can lend you a car for you 24 hrs, like a loaner.
It's good business.
Go for it guys.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's all about getting your business. A dealer is an independent business and can lend you a car for you 24 hrs, like a loaner.
It's good business.
Go for it guys.
I think I will, as soon as I get back to the USA :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just ask. I took one home yesterday (160 miles round trip). They had me fill out a standard loaner car agreement, copied my license and insurance and off I went. Same dealer also put $1,000 more on my trade than anyone else, and came off MSRP to "invoice" without me saying a word. It literally was their OPENING offer.

Didn't love the car, unfortunately. Dropped it back off this morning with my sincere thanks and drove off in my trusty old trade-in. I would say if your dealer isn't bending over backward to make the deal work, find another dealer.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you take Grubbs up on their offer? I'm in the exact same situation as you and also got an offer (via automated email) to do the "Valet Plus" 24hr test drive. Let us know if you decide to do it and good luck.
As seems to be the theme with dealerships in the area, I've reached out to them & they were supposed to have gotten back to me today; yet, nada. I've come to truly expect piss-poor service from all of the Infiniti dealerships here in DFW. Meanwhile, I'm still trying to figure out where else can I possibly have such a hard time spending $50k+? But I'm the idiot that won't say "screw em".

·
Registered
127 Posts
As seems to be the theme with dealerships in the area, I've reached out to them & they were supposed to have gotten back to me today; yet, nada. I've come to truly expect piss-poor service from all of the Infiniti dealerships here in DFW. Meanwhile, I'm still trying to figure out where else can I possibly have such a hard time spending $50k+? But I'm the idiot that won't say "screw em".
:(

I reached out to both Grubbs and Crest via email and received very quick responses from both asking me to call. I managed to get a hold of Tux Browning at Crest, who seemed to be very knowledgeable. I was not able to talk to Grubbs, but the person I am emailing with is Price Clark.

At this point I think I'll just visit each dealership, do a test drive at each one and then pick the dealership willing to give me the best deal. It shouldn't vary much considering I'm using VPP, but doesn't hurt to evaluate all the options I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
I'm currently in touch with Austin Infiniti. Have received good back and forth emails from them so far, they have been pretty responsive. Although they are tricky already, shoehorning trunk and mats in for an extra 900 bucks and wanting me to eat a 550 transfer fee to move a car from another dealership to them. I'm keeping them in mind regardless. I could use a trip to Austin anyway to go record shopping.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.