Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 3.0t accelerates really slowly depending on which headlights setting I’m using. When I switch it to the “auto” mode, it works perfectly. However when I turn the headlights on, the car barely moves even when I floor it. Ive attached an imagine of the knob I’m talking about. When twisted all the way toward me, the car works fine. When I twist it forward to turn on the headlights, it doesn’t accelerate fast at all. Caps off at 2500rpm or so. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. No CEL or codes detected by JB4

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,333 Posts
My 2018 3.0t accelerates really slowly depending on which headlights setting I’m using. When I switch it to the “auto” mode, it works perfectly. However when I turn the headlights on, the car barely moves even when I floor it. Ive attached an imagine of the knob I’m talking about. When twisted all the way toward me, the car works fine. When I twist it forward to turn on the headlights, it doesn’t accelerate fast at all. Caps off at 2500rpm or so. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. No CEL or codes detected by JB4
Connect a multimeter to the battery while the engine is running and headlights off. Voltage should be 13.5-14.2 VDC. Turn on your headlights and see what the voltage is. Does it drop substantially? If so, I'd suspect your alternator.

·
Registered
388 Posts
This sounds so familiar but with the headlights as a curve ball.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Headlights affecting engine performance? That's a new one. I'll be interested in the outcome of this one.

·
Registered
2021 Q50RS AWD
35 Posts
Connect a multimeter to the battery while the engine is running and headlights off. Voltage should be 13.5-14.2 VDC. Turn on your headlights and see what the voltage is. Does it drop substantially? If so, I'd suspect your alternator.
Most people that are not car people just do not understand that the car needs a good battery and alternator output to run, weird things happen when one is going out!
Do like Avedis53 said and send an answer back.

Reactions: damonb10

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,333 Posts
Car batteries start cars, alternators provide power to the car after it starts and charge the battery while driving. It may be something else but a thorough alternator test would be the first thing I'd do. One wouldn't think the current draw for the LED headlights would be enough to affect the engine. However, knowing all the electronics involved in engine management these days, an alternator that isn't providing the proper voltage could be the problem. I hope the OP throws a multimeter on it and tells us what he gets.

Reactions: rpiotro
1 - 6 of 6 Posts