Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
14 Q 50 3.7 was running fine left the barbershop and felt it want to stall then it turned off ... when into the nearest parking lot and car turns of perfectly fine but once is R OR D the car turns off OC INFINITI first said it was the torque converter then they said it was the while transmission 56k on trans and motor completely stock anyone had a similar problem plz help and ideas on the cause

·
Registered
23 Posts
14 Q 50 3.7 was running fine left the barbershop and felt it want to stall then it turned off ... when into the nearest parking lot and car turns of perfectly fine but once is R OR D the car turns off OC INFINITI first said it was the torque converter then they said it was the while transmission 56k on trans and motor completely stock anyone had a similar problem plz help and ideas on the cause
View attachment 90513 View attachment 90514
So what happened? I have a 3.7 q50 awd and dont know if i should trade it in. Dnt want to deal with trans problems.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,539 Posts
OK then avoid it, but the transmission is a very reliable component of of a very reliable platform (3.7 G cars and Early Q models). Social media will skew heavily towards problems because that is what inspires people to post.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Iv been seeing more and more 3.7 q50 go down lately. Between 60k-80k miles. People on instagram, youtube, forums. Jus trying to do more research and maybe avoid it.
Maybe you would like a CVT? Seriously, these transmissions are very reliable.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
No definitely don't want cvt. Ill hang on to it because i love this car, hopefully it stays reliable.
It should treat you well. I'd recommend that you get a fluid change at about 50K-60K miles. After that it should be good for a long time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
14 Q 50 3.7 was running fine left the barbershop and felt it want to stall then it turned off ... when into the nearest parking lot and car turns of perfectly fine but once is R OR D the car turns off OC INFINITI first said it was the torque converter then they said it was the while transmission 56k on trans and motor completely stock anyone had a similar problem plz help and ideas on the cause View attachment 90513 View attachment 90514
Did you ever find the issue?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
The 3.7 7ATs have torque converters that fall apart because they have rivets inside that loosen over time. The lockup clutches are also pretty small.

They also have problems with the tcm failing. It presents as a failing output speed sensor most times but it's an internal failure of the tcm. Replacing the tcm/valvebody is just asking for the same problem in another 50k miles.

Probably the best fix is to put a vr30 7AT in it's place. Minimal mods are required and it's going to be bulletproof for a stock to mildly built 3.7.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts