Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

I bought a 2014 Q50S fully loaded at the end of September and have had to take the car to the dealership 3 times since then. After two weeks of owning the car, I had numerous problems with the nav and audio screens freezing. I took the car to the dealership and they updated my software, which appeared to solve the problem. A few weeks later, my steering wheel locked upon startup and I received an error code on my dash, that made it very difficult to turn the wheel. I stopped, restarted the car, and the problem appeared to go away. 10 days later, the same thing happened, only this time my engine began to idle erratically. After this incident, I brought my car back to the dealership. Again, they said it was a software glitch and the problem was fixed.

Just when I thought all of my car's issues had subsided, a new issue appeared. Two days ago, while driving the car on the highway, I received a chassis control system and AWD error. Virtually all of the warning lights on my dashboard lit up and today I dropped my car off yet again at the dealership. Oddly enough, some other guy was dropping a q50 off for the same 'chassis issue' I was having. The service advisor told me this repair required replacing some hardware and would take at least 2+ hours (UPDATE: Apparently they'll need to keep the car for several days).

The last two times I dropped my car off for service, two different advisors have told me that Infiniti released this car too early and many people are having problems with it. Based on what I've seen on this forum, it looks like that's true.

So now that I've rambled on, has anyone else had as many issues as me with their q50? I've read about people having an issue here or there, but it seems like my car is fatally flawed. Before this car, I owned a 2011 BMW 535i X Drive (the first gen of their current redesign) and I never once had a single issue in the 3 years that I owned the car. After my experience with the q50s, I don't think I'd own an Infiniti ever again.

·
Registered
478 Posts
You may be able to have the car bought back from you and considered as a lemon. Also, are you in cold weather? These issues seem to be happening mostly in the cold. I have read about a few people with these issues, but I have still yet to see one come through my dealership (I'm in the NW).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Matt,

Thanks for your quick response. Yup, I live in Westchester County, NY, which is the first county north of NYC. It's been pretty cold this winter and I think it's really messing with the computer on my car.

Out of curiosity, do you know if Infiniti has made any substantial changes to the Q50 since September 2013? As in, the problems that I'm experiencing have been fixed on newer models. If I continue to get issues, perhaps they could just give me another car? I've been in touch with Infiniti over the past few months, so I'm curious to see what their response will be to my most recent problems.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I do know that they are replacing some Q50's with entirely new systems, not just doing software updates. I also know that the newer ones have all of the recent updates already done, along with this new system. I would see if this last time fixes anything, and if not, try and get a new one.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just Trade it for CLA45 AMG! and be done with it. I will not buy another Infiniti until they work out all the issues with the car line and get your ****!!! together. I love my 2013 IPL 6MT. All bugs have been smoothed out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Most of the same issues.

Hello Everyone,

I bought a 2014 Q50S fully loaded at the end of September and have had to take the car to the dealership 3 times since then. After two weeks of owning the car, I had numerous problems with the nav and audio screens freezing. I took the car to the dealership and they updated my software, which appeared to solve the problem. A few weeks later, my steering wheel locked upon startup and I received an error code on my dash, that made it very difficult to turn the wheel. I stopped, restarted the car, and the problem appeared to go away. 10 days later, the same thing happened, only this time my engine began to idle erratically. After this incident, I brought my car back into the dealership. Again, they said it was a software glitch and the problem was fixed.

Just when I thought all of my car's issues had subsided, a new issue appeared. Two days ago, while driving the car on the highway, I received a chassis control system and AWD error. Virtually all of the warning lights on my dashboard lit up and today I dropped my car off yet again at the dealership. Oddly enough, some other guy was dropping a q50 off for the same 'chassis issue' I was having. The service advisor told me this repair required replacing some hardware and would take at least 2+ hours.

The last two times I dropped my car for service, two different advisors have told me that Infiniti released this car too early and many people are having problems with it. Based on what I've seen on this forum, it looks like that's true.

So now that I've rambled on, has anyone else had as many issues as me with their q50? I've read about people having an issue here or there, but it seems like my car is fatally flawed. Before this car, I owned a 2011 BMW 535i X Drive (the first gen of their current redesign) and I never once had a single issue in the 3 years that I owned the car. After my experience with the q50s, I don't think I'd own an Infiniti ever again.
Yes, I have. No, I won't buy an Infiniti again. The car has great potential but, the execution has been miserable. My prior vehicle had precisely 2 trivial software issues and 1 minor recall in 10 years. None of those things even remotely inconvenienced me the way the Q50S has. Bottom line, I simply don't trust for a second that the car will not have more issues in the future.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hey guys, the dealership just called me and said the chassis issue is fixed, but the AWD issue is a whole other beast. They had to order a bunch of parts and are not sure how long it will take to get them (from the sounds of it, it may be a week). The advisor also mentioned that there was something wrong with the steering angle sensor (no idea what that is). So great, I'm stuck driving some POS base model G37 loaner car with 30k miles on it, while I pay for a fully loaded new Q50S. I contacted Infiniti corporate and they're having their regional manager call me tomorrow. We'll see what happens, but I have a feeling this car is going to continue to have issues.

I'm an easy going guy, but this is getting ridiculous....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I have. No, I won't buy an Infiniti again. The car has great potential but, the execution has been miserable. My prior vehicle has precisely 2 trivial software issues and 1 minor recall in 10 years. None of those things even remotely inconvenienced me the way the Q50S has. Bottom line, I simply don't trust for a second that the car will not have more issues in the future.
I agree with everything you just said. I'm going back to BMW. I never had a single issue with my 535i X drive and the car was built like a tank. I've owned Mercedes, BMWs, Infinitis, Acuras, Hondas, Audi and I can honestly say the BMW was my favorite by far. There's a reason BMW wins all the awards...

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I do know that they are replacing some Q50's with entirely new systems, not just doing software updates. I also know that the newer ones have all of the recent updates already done, along with this new system. I would see if this last time fixes anything, and if not, try and get a new one.
Hi mattreading22,

Do you hear anything whether they will replace the current owner InTouch system hardware? It is lagging and I have the feeling, when the apps, etc come out, it will be very slow.

Yes. I agree. They release the product too soon before proper test especially in Cold condition. Is Johan blamed for this to get the product out too soon? It is costly for the company in the long run more than having it delayed. It is ruining and more damaging to the brand.... GOOD JOB INFINITI! or whoever work executing this strategy!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
To the OP - Read my thread in this section called "Infiniti Consumer Affairs", they will not buy your car back and they will just attempt to patronize you to death. This is my first and last Infiniti, not that it's not a cool car it's just a really terrible company to deal with if you have issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's another issue that angers me--the touch screen always lags. It's very annoying.

Hi mattreading22,

Do you hear anything whether they will replace the current owner InTouch system hardware? It is lagging and I have the feeling, when the apps, etc come out, it will be very slow.

Yes. I agree. They release the product too soon before proper test especially in Cold condition. Is Johan blamed for this to get the product out too soon? It is costly for the company in the long run more than having it delayed. It is ruining and more damaging to the brand.... GOOD JOB INFINITI! or whoever work executing this strategy!!!

·
Registered
982 Posts
To the OP - Read my thread in this section called "Infiniti Consumer Affairs", they will not buy your car back and they will just attempt to patronize you to death. This is my first and last Infiniti, not that it's not a cool car it's just a really terrible company to deal with if you have issues.
How are some people able to get Infiniti to buy back the car? I read at least 2 people here who got the buyback approved.

·
Registered
118 Posts
How are some people able to get Infiniti to buy back the car? I read at least 2 people here who got the buyback approved.
You need to satisfy your state's Lemon Law criteria.

This car is probably the biggest mistake Nissan ever made, although G25 was pretty bad. But I have to give it - handles snow and ice like a champ.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
That's another issue that angers me--the touch screen always lags. It's very annoying.
The new update *.646 is good actually and it is a "little" faster but stable. The only thing lagging is when you switch radio channel or bluetooth. My concern is when the InTouch system loaded with apps and new stuff, I feel it would be slower. I overheard it from someone in dealer who talks to Engineer from Japan that the hardware is a little slow to deal with this many functionalities and make their job difficult when this is the bottleneck. It seems 2015 will have new hardware but I am just curious if Infiniti will replace the current owner's car. Think about it, the car was released with very basic functionalities and they are having tons of problems (cold weather, lagging, etc). This means, they pretty much did not know and no tests was done for the current hardware to deal with new stuffs.
They should learn from Sony Playstation when designing a platform.... give the best platform for future...... it is cheaper in the long term for the company. For example, they know 2G will be discontinue in 2015 or 16?? but who not put newer one to anticipate it. We paid for that option (nav) right?

I am the type of the guy who always look things ahead (being an engineer I guess) to anticipate the problem before it arise so I apologize if making others concern.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for the information, Rich.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.