Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,088 Posts
Just cleaned my intake valves this weekend and wanted to share.
How about some details? Pictures? That would be more helpful.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Missed attachments. The last pic was after cleaning. 2018 3.0t 32k miles. There was some oil residue inside the intake manifold from the pcv. The throttle bodies were very clean.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Yes, but details...how?

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,088 Posts
Missed attachments. The last pic was after cleaning. 2018 3.0t 32k miles. There was some oil residue inside the intake manifold from the pcv. The throttle bodies were very clean.
Are you stock? Any mods? What fuel?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will say that it did make a noticeable difference. I did have slight stumbling at idle, especially when cold, which is gone now. And acceleration feels more responsive.

It took about about six hours for me to complete.You can't see it but there was considerable buildup on the back side of the stems. I used a couple of pick tools to scrape off. Then I followed up with walnut blasting using an adapter I got off ebay.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I wouldn't bother, you used that GDI cleaner before and now spraying meth. I'm sure yours is squeaky clean lol
Haha, love the optimism!

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,088 Posts
This is mostly stock. I did add a bms heat exchanger about 2k miles ago. 93 octane.
Looks like I'll doing some inlet valve cleaning in the future. Those are disturbing pictures. I take it you don't have an oil catch can?

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I have always had the BG Intake Cleaning Service done to my DI cars. Cost around $150 and cleans out the throttle body, intake and valves. They say to do it every 30K miles. I know there are chems you can buy like Seafoam, etc. that do this as well but they are not nearly as efficient and do not clean as well as the professional BG service as BG atomizes and mists under pressure. Just a thought for those that may be interested.

https://www.bgprod.com/services/gasoline-fuel-services/gdi-fuelair-induction/

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have always had the BG Intake Cleaning Service done to my DI cars. Cost around $150 and cleans out the throttle body, intake and valves. They say to do it every 30K miles. I know there are chems you can buy like Seafoam, etc. that do this as well but they are not nearly as efficient and do not clean as well as the professional BG service as BG atomizes and mists under pressure. Just a thought for those that may be interested.

https://www.bgprod.com/services/gasoline-fuel-services/gdi-fuelair-induction/

That's appears worthwhile as it doesn't cost much. The carbon on the valves was relatively soft and easy to remove. I have done carbon removal on pistons before and that crap was practically one with the piston.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I wouldn't bother, you used that GDI cleaner before and now spraying meth. I'm sure yours is squeaky clean lol
Not likely, the oil is getting blown by the pistons not fuel so there is zero benefit from gasoline based cleaners.
Meth from the intake would probably help keep them clean though.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Great work. Looks like you did a high-quality job.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Not likely, the oil is getting blown by the pistons not fuel so there is zero benefit from gasoline based cleaners.
Meth from the intake would probably help keep them clean though.
Not sure i understand what you meant by piston blowing oil. The valves are closed during compression. If the piston is blowing oil upward, there's probably more serious problem than cleaning gunk off the back of the valve. Unless you meant the blow-by oil getting into pcv then yes.

Ddnspider (and i) used CRC GDI intake valve and turbo spray cleaner into the vacuum port a while back. I am not expecting it to clean everything off but the fact that I've been using catch can for a while now, occasional high temp "might" have melted away the remaining ones. I still think there's very minimal oil amount going thru though. My backyard theory tells me that just using a proper catch can one may actually not have any significant build up over the life of the engine - especially on these VRs, they blow-up pretty frequently lol!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I ran CRC GDI cleaner through my engine at about 21k miles. There was some interesting crap coming out of the exhausts from that. Obviously, this is no substitute for a mechanical cleaning, but I was hoping that possible regular use will mitigate build up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I ran CRC GDI cleaner through my engine at about 21k miles. There was some interesting crap coming out of the exhausts from that. Obviously, this is no substitute for a mechanical cleaning, but I was hoping that possible regular use will mitigate build up.

I just passed 20k miles and would like to do the same. Did you spray the CRC GDI cleaner through the air intake box? And do we have to use two cans (i.e. one can per intake)? Sorry if this seems like a silly question.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts

I just passed 20k miles and would like to do the same. Did you spray the CRC GDI cleaner through the air intake box? And do we have to use two cans (i.e. one can per intake)? Sorry if this seems like a silly question.
I used one can and went back and forth between the two air intake boxes throughout the procedure. I made sure the straw was inserted past the MAF sensor.

I know others bypassed the turbos and intercoolers by injecting the chemical at a different spot.

Reactions: Dr69er and lake985
1 - 20 of 34 Posts