Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Unless you meant the blow-by oil getting into pcv then yes.

Ddnspider (and i) used CRC GDI intake valve and turbo spray cleaner into the vacuum port a while back. I am not expecting it to clean everything off but the fact that I've been using catch can for a while now, occasional high temp "might" have melted away the remaining ones. I still think there's very minimal oil amount going thru though. My backyard theory tells me that just using a proper catch can one may actually not have any significant build up over the life of the engine - especially on these VRs, they blow-up pretty frequently lol!
Yes indeed, sorry used the wrong terminology on that.

As for the CRC GDI cleaner I was assuming it was a fuel additive, if it being sprayed into the intake than you can disregard my previous bit.

As for the catch-cans I agree based on what other forum members have reported the actual oil being captured is relatively small compared to other engines.
Although what effect and how much oil is required to start causing issues with the VR30 engine is still an unknown.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Yes indeed, sorry used the wrong terminology on that.

As for the CRC GDI cleaner I was assuming it was a fuel additive, if it being sprayed into the intake than you can disregard my previous bit.

As for the catch-cans I agree based on what other forum members have reported the actual oil being captured is relatively small compared to other engines.
Although what effect and how much oil is required to start causing issues with the VR30 engine is still an unknown.

Right, it's still unknown. The highest engine mileage I've seen was ~90k which was posted for sale either here or on FB a year or two ago. I wonder if it had any belt issues or this gunk build up. Hard to tell for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
I ran CRC GDI cleaner through my engine at about 21k miles. There was some interesting crap coming out of the exhausts from that. Obviously, this is no substitute for a mechanical cleaning, but I was hoping that possible regular use will mitigate build up.
That stuff coming out of the back is some of the cleaning solution burning up. That is not the cleaning portion.

You must let the car sit for about an hour after your run the entire can through.

Then you get out and drive the car...get it up to temp and start getting on it gradually to clean off all that stuff.

You MUST do an oil change right after as your oil is going to be quite dirty.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
That stuff coming out of the back is some of the cleaning solution burning up. That is not the cleaning portion.

You must let the car sit for about an hour after your run the entire can through.

Then you get out and drive the car...get it up to temp and start getting on it gradually to clean off all that stuff.

You MUST do an oil change right after as your oil is going to be quite dirty.
Yep, did all of that exactly as instructed.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Missed attachments. The last pic was after cleaning. 2018 3.0t 32k miles. There was some oil residue inside the intake manifold from the pcv. The throttle bodies were very clean.
I will say that it did make a noticeable difference. I did have slight stumbling at idle, especially when cold, which is gone now. And acceleration feels more responsive.

It took about about six hours for me to complete.You can't see it but there was considerable buildup on the back side of the stems. I used a couple of pick tools to scrape off. Then I followed up with walnut blasting using an adapter I got off ebay.

Were all the valves in both L/R banks fouled?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
In addition to the pcv hose on the right side of the intake manifold there is a hose on the left rear going to the crank case for ventilation.

Thought that was the hose AMS said not to mess with.

Anyways, if both banks have oil on them then there is a considerable amount of oil to be caught on the other side as well. I remember Scary initially installed the OCC there but got nothing. I guess I should take the time to clean the other side.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,142 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Q50 RS400
1 Posts
Just cleaned my intake valves this weekend and wanted to share.
Hi,

What oil are you using?

Do you have an oil catch can?

Are you tuned?

Spirited driver?

Are you the first owner?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Earlier this year (pre-Covid), Valvoline got a race car driver, a mechanic and a boroscope, and inspected random driver's cars for intake valve build-up:

As for answers to the questions - Valvoline Modern Engine 5W30, Mishimoto Catch Can, Ecutek, spirited, 1st owner.

Reactions: q50adix

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
8,994 Posts
So what's with this Kaydro Technologies guy? One post asking a list of questions 2 months ago and is never seen again.

I guess when he said they lead the pack, they didn't specify in which direction.

Reactions: q50adix

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
So what's with this Kaydro Technologies guy? One post asking a list of questions 2 months ago and is never seen again.

I guess when he said they lead the pack, they didn't specify in which direction.
Kareem is probably too busy with his YT channel.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Earlier this year (pre-Covid), Valvoline got a race car driver, a mechanic and a boroscope, and inspected random driver's cars for intake valve build-up:

As for answers to the questions - Valvoline Modern Engine 5W30, Mishimoto Catch Can, Ecutek, spirited, 1st owner.
This reminds me that I still haven't opened the snake cam I bought two years ago. This procrastination thing is like a cancer - thanks to Mr. PHead.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
That video pretty much said that all those cars have build-up but it did not show any difference between a car that used a Valvoline versus a car that did not use Valvoline

21 - 40 of 42 Posts