Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried this yet? I'm thinking about having it applied to my Q50S. A local place has quoted me $550 for the front part of the hood, front bumper, and fronts of the mirrors.

Just curious what anyone's thoughts or experiences with this are and how it compares to keeping a good paint sealant / wax combo on the car.

If it matters my Q50S is Venetian Ruby.

·
Registered
444 Posts
They don't do the bumper. Too many angles it will look funny. I have the hood, mirrors, door edges, front fenders. It looks fantastic. I am going to protect the rest of the car with 22PLE.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I had a guy do my bumper in the dc metro area and after 4 attempts he got it. My regular guy from NY didn't want to do it and I don't blame him. The hardest part was the area directly below the headlights on the bumper.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
148 Posts
Will they eventually come out with the laser cut patterns for a Q50?

I had my G37 done before I picked it up and it was pretty obvious the pattern was die cut (or the installer had perfect hands and could create matching sweeping curves in one shot)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer told me they would do the bumper and that's why it was $550 but I guess we'll see. Does it look that obvious like a big clear sticker on the car? I was a little concerned on how it would work but I think it's worth the added protection.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The dealer told me they would do the bumper and that's why it was $550 but I guess we'll see. Does it look that obvious like a big clear sticker on the car? I was a little concerned on how it would work but I think it's worth the added protection.
Its not bad at all, and mine is a black car so you'd think it would be most obvious. The "seam" collects a little dirt, most obvious on the hood and fenders (since it only goes half way up), but Ive never had an issue keeping it clean just with a normal car wash. Surely the positives outweight the negatives, as I have zero road-generated chips in my hood bumper or fenders.

Im not sure if Infiniti improved the durablity of their paint when going from G to Q, but until there is hard proof they did I wouldnt think twice about getting a clear bra.

My only question would be if I want to cover the hood and fenders completely (it seems the bumper is the "expensive" part to do on the Q, I would imagine going from half to full coverage for bumper and fenders shouldnt increase the price too much)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info Chris!

They don't do the bumper. Too many angles it will look funny. I have the hood, mirrors, door edges, front fenders. It looks fantastic. I am going to protect the rest of the car with 22PLE.
machmike - I'm doing a little research on the 22PLE. Looks like good stuff. Are you having the dealership apply it or are you doing it yourself.

·
Registered
444 Posts
detail shop. If your car isn't fresh off the boat you will need a polish, then an alchohol wipe, 22PLE. I don't want to mess around with learning on my own auto.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have been in the paint protection business for nearly 14 years. There are patterns for the Q50, Pre-cut XPEL Paint Protection Kits

I would stay away from both 3M and Venture Shield, there are way better products out there for nearly the same money. Best product in my opinion to date is Suntek(I covered my entire Q), followed by Xpels new film and the Avery Nano Fusion products. A good installer won't have any problem with that bumper, if they act like its going to be an issue, shop elsewhere. You won't be able to tell the film is on there if its done correctly.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah I forgot to mention, 3 years ago when I had my car done there seemed to be many less products out there vs now. Plus the dealer only used 1 3rd party detailer, and thats the product he used.

I have no problem with Ventureshield....it would be nice to compare it to a newer product, but its not $$$ that I need to spend.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
If I were doing it, I'd cover the whole hood, not half. I think it looks stupid when only half is done. You see the line and over time, you can really see the two sections.

I just sold a Q50 with the front bumper done. Our contractor uses Xpel.

·
Registered
410 Posts
my guy use ventureshield and they have the cut for Q50 already, it took probably 4-5 hours alone to do the bumper. You can barely tell it's on the bumper and my doesn't really collect any dirt. I did however go with the half hood and it really isn't noticeable on mine. Then again, it depends on the color of the car.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
XPEL Protection Film - ULTIMATE (data sheets attached) is the best film ever. I had it done on my Q50: Half hood , front bumper, headlights, fog & signal lights, mirrors, fenders, rear bumper-luggage area only, and under the door handles. It's worth the money.
You can't even tell if there's film unless you examine closely:

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah, Im jealous now!

But I really didnt have much choice....I bought the car 500 miles from home, so I had a 500 mile trip immediately after picking it up. It was either have them install the clear bra or me drive home with painters tape all over the front end. Xpel Ultimate didnt exist back then anyway, so I most likely would have ended up with VentureShield again.

·
Registered
75 Posts
To do the bumper and the full hood and fenders on the Q is going to be more like $1500-$1800 to get a quality install with top rated film. There are hacks using crappy film out there that may look like a much better deal until you get your car back with cut marks in the paint you won't know about until the product discolors or lifts up and has to be redone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.