Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Yes. The top screen comes out and completely disassembled to install the piggyback circuit card. The bottom screen gets pulled to access the top screen as well as take out the CD player momentarily to install the piggyback aux cable.

Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
Doh! I need something I have at work. I think I have a path to wireless screen mirror Android....which means JB4 gauges.
馃嵖

Reactions: [email protected]

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
No go again. For some reason the AV input isn't being recognized. Im still waiting on a magical app that Im supposed to get that will allow Android screen mirroring. Holding out some hope but we'll see. Generally other than screen mirroring, I am pleased with the kit. We'll see how reliable it ends up being, but immediately it seems less quirky than the MK2 Tesla screens.

Super Moderator
No go again. For some reason the AV input isn't being recognized. Im still waiting on a magical app that Im supposed to get that will allow Android screen mirroring. Holding out some hope but we'll see. Generally other than screen mirroring, I am pleased with the kit. We'll see how reliable it ends up being, but immediately it seems less quirky than the MK2 Tesla screens.
What are the cons? How would you rate its integration with OEM? Like one con for the Unavi is you lose the info bar along the bottom of the upper screen (volume, radio station, climate setting).

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
What are the cons? How would you rate its integration with OEM? Like one con for the Unavi is you lose the info bar along the bottom of the upper screen (volume, radio station, climate setting).
You have to set the audio to AUX before you shut the car off in order for it to automatically jump to the tablet interface the next time you power up the car. Otherwise you just hold the back button and it switches over. Volume and OEM button interface/scroll wheel all appear to be working as they should. Apparently Google works with the hands free button, but I haven't tried it. I haven't actually paid attention to adjusting the A/C and looking at the top screen to see if there is an indication. I'll try it on the way home. Honestly, even with a basic interface on the android app its SO much better than stock and staring at the clock that my threshold for being happy is probably pretty low LOL. Android auto kicks in automatically like clockwork and will start playing the last app that I used while connected.

Premium Member
You have to set the audio to AUX before you shut the car off in order for it to automatically jump to the tablet interface the next time you power up the car. Otherwise you just hold the back button and it switches over. Volume and OEM button interface/scroll wheel all appear to be working as they should. Apparently Google works with the hands free button, but I haven't tried it. I haven't actually paid attention to adjusting the A/C and looking at the top screen to see if there is an indication. I'll try it on the way home. Honestly, even with a basic interface on the android app its SO much better than stock and staring at the clock that my threshold for being happy is probably pretty low LOL. Android auto kicks in automatically like clockwork and will start playing the last app that I used while connected.
I鈥檓 close to buying one. Is yours the actual Android Tablet or the CarPlay/AA model?

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
Android Tablet. I just confirmed that when I change the AC the top screen does pop up with status of all that stuff. Google search works when connected to AA and you press the hands free button on the steering wheel. Seems like decent integration.

Super Moderator
Android Tablet. I just confirmed that when I change the AC the top screen does pop up with status of all that stuff. Google search works when connected to AA and you press the hands free button on the steering wheel. Seems like decent integration.
That's very nice. And you said the center console rotary knob works? Does it come with its own mic or uses the OEM mic? Does it have an internal speaker if you were to take it off Auxiliary input (e.g., to listen to the radio or CD) but you are running Waze on the upper screen and you want to hear the Waze alerts?

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
Center console buttons work for stuff I've tried. Uses the OEM mic. Comes with a separate speaker so turn by turn can either be through that speaker if not in AUX, but I can't say I've tried it. There are a lot of little settings you can tweak and setup but I haven't gone through every setting yet. I did see where someone on FB said their local dealership is adding the SmartAuto kit as a dealer installed option. They tried 3 different upper screen kits and then went to the SmartAuto kit and said it was the most reliable and integrated.

Super Moderator

Registered
Discussion Starter #34
Mine isn't a joy auto. It's a smart auto kit.

Super Moderator
Mine isn't a joy auto. It's a smart auto kit.
Embaaaaarrraasssing....

Reactions: Ddnspider

Premium Member
If you have the Tablet version, why are you trying to mirror? You can download any apps directly to the tablet using your phone as a hotspot..

Super Moderator
If you have the Tablet version, why are you trying to mirror? You can download any apps directly to the tablet using your phone as a hotspot..
I'm only guessing so I stand to be corrected but I think he is trying to get the JB4 app to show on the top screen. Our phones have BT but the tablet screen does not (I think?). BT is needed to communicate with the JB4.

Registered
Discussion Starter #38
I'm only guessing so I stand to be corrected but I think he is trying to get the JB4 app to show on the top screen. Our phones have BT but the tablet screen does not (I think?). BT is needed to communicate with the JB4.
Bingo. While I haven't tried it, when doing the bluetooth scan to pair my phone, I didn't see any sign of a JB4. That leads me to believe that I can't run the JB4 natively on the tablet without a hardwire connected.

Premium Member
Bingo. While I haven't tried it, when doing the bluetooth scan to pair my phone, I didn't see any sign of a JB4. That leads me to believe that I can't run the JB4 natively on the tablet without a hardwire connected.
According to Smartauto kits, you can run the JB4 software on the tablet but connectivity must be hardwired. BT not supported at this time.

Registered
Discussion Starter #40
According to Smartauto kits, you can run the JB4 software on the tablet but connectivity must be hardwired. BT not supported at this time.
Ive never seen a HW JB4. Im guessing there is a USB to ODB2 cable somewhere?

21 - 40 of 78 Posts