Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come across people's confusion with Q50S label. General public automatically assumes that Q50 badging dictates motor displacement. Comments such as: "wow it must be faaast" and "see you at the gas pump tomorrow" are amusing. I hate to lie but, I told some folks that not only its a 5.0, it is also supercharged, hence the S

:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Pretty funny. Lexus is the lone holdout here with logical model numbers I think. IS250 = 2.5 liter 6, IS350 = 3.5l 6. I'm kinda disappointed that Infiniti didn't stick with it, it's like they got kicked out of the Japanese logic club.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
"I got a Q50S"
"Whats that..."
"G37 replacement.."
"Oh!"

is what i hear all the time when people ask me what car i've got

Reactions: maddsiick

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"I got a Q50S"
"Whats that..."
"G37 replacement.."
"Oh!"

I've said the same to "advanced" users. No shame in saying it. I stand by my point that for its price range it is a superior vehicle. The only problem with Q50 that it does not have 4 rings or a propeller in its emblem and the fact that it does not break.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Pretty funny. Lexus is the lone holdout here with logical model numbers I think. IS250 = 2.5 liter 6, IS350 = 3.5l 6. I'm kinda disappointed that Infiniti didn't stick with it, it's like they got kicked out of the Japanese logic club.

The reason they did it because right now turbo/supercharging smaller engines is more efficient than bigger block engines. its been on trend for some time but will only increase as emission/efficiency requirements increase. Therefore, a 3.7V6 could be the base model with a turbo 3.0V6 being the 'sport' model. If you call the base a Q37 and the sport a Q30; 99% of the buying public will think the Q30 is the lesser of the 2.

So the naming is confusing now, but as with anything, we will get accustomed to it over time.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
The reason they did it because right now turbo/supercharging smaller engines is more efficient than bigger block engines. its been on trend for some time but will only increase as emission/efficiency requirements increase. Therefore, a 3.7V6 could be the base model with a turbo 3.0V6 being the 'sport' model. If you call the base a Q37 and the sport a Q30; 99% of the buying public will think the Q30 is the lesser of the 2.

So the naming is confusing now, but as with anything, we will get accustomed to it over time.
BMW is the worst offender of the bunch

·
Registered
183 Posts
BMW is the worst offender of the bunch
Mercedes is pretty bad, I think thats where Beemer picked it up. I've always been a far of non numeric naming for cars. Q50 is cool but ive always been a fan of the way the Italians do it, names like Giulietta, Dino, Ghibli, Diablo, PAnda, Bora, Stratos and of course Enzo. I just feel like numeric naming takes the soul away from the car. Sort of lke how people dont like their banks to see them as a number, they want an identity.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Mercedes is pretty bad, I think thats where Beemer picked it up. I've always been a far of non numeric naming for cars. Q50 is cool but ive always been a fan of the way the Italians do it, names like Giulietta, Dino, Ghibli, Diablo, PAnda, Bora, Stratos and of course Enzo. I just feel like numeric naming takes the soul away from the car. Sort of lke how people dont like their banks to see them as a number, they want an identity.
"La Ferrari" ?:D

·
Registered
407 Posts
It would have been cool if Nissan/Infiniti kept some of the names they used in the past in both North America and Japan. One of my favorites being "Fairlady Z"

it's much better than 350Z or 370Z

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've said the same to "advanced" users. No shame in saying it. I stand by my point that for its price range it is a superior vehicle. The only problem with Q50 that it does not have 4 rings or a propeller in its emblem and the fact that it does not break.
"wow, the q50, isnt that the big SUV?" thats what i get. and "i thought they stopped making those like 10 years ago" referring to the q45!

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
"wow, the q50, isnt that the big SUV?" thats what i get. and "i thought they stopped making those like 10 years ago" referring to the q45!
I get the same reaction when I tell people I drive the Q50. They think its an SUV. Then I have to whip out the phone and show them and explain its the G replacements. Its a PITA to keep explaining it but it'll catch on later I hope.

"I got a Q50S"
"Whats that..."
"G37 replacement.."
"Oh!"

Hear this one too a lot.

·
Registered
407 Posts
next time someone asks if you have a 5.0 Q Infiniti tell them yes :D
then give it some rev's and wait for their reaction, that should be priceless if they know what a V8 should sound like.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
While I generally don't agree with the naming scheme, I don't understand why people get all up in arms about it. BMW number names haven't matched for a long time (328/335 mean nothing), and no one asks if a Volvo S60 has a 6.0 liter V8, do they?

It just gives people a reason to be snarky. Infiniti should have differentiated the SUV naming scheme from the sedans. Personally, I like the JX nameplate for SUVs, especially since the new JX60 turned out being such a success.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I could start a thread with how much I've had to explain the car, name, old, new yadda yadda...lol

The first time (as its happened quite a bit) I'll never forget, I was getting some gas, the car was 2 days old and a lowered G37 pulled up at the next pump, younger guy. He stares at the car and walks over and he's pretty excited. First thing out of his mouth

"Mahn this is what I'm talking about, I told all my friends that the new Infiniti has a 5.0 V-8 and will smoke mustangs"....

I paused and explained it was the same 3.7 liter engine. He explained to me that it is a 5.0 cause the badge says 50 on it.

So I opened the hood and he saw the same engine he had :D He was stunned to say the least. Really nice guy but the naming system confused him.

I've gotten it a few more times and I have to explain its not a V-8, not a 5.0, not the new Q45, etc etc......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.