Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I got my Q50 hybrid in 2015 I had strange issue with my A/C. On a random day I get hot air (Not Cooling), however when I turn the car off and on again everything returns to normal. Alternatively, if I wait for 15 minutes (guessing) it returns to normal too. I also noticed that the evaporator pipeline is hot when I have this issue.

I took the car to the dealer many times but they said everything looks normal and could not replicate the problem.

What could be the problem in your opinion?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,825 Posts
I assuming your climate control is in "Auto" mode (button should be lit)?

Since you have a hybrid, I'm also assuming you have the Idling Stop feature that shuts off the climate control when your car is in the Idling Stop function.

You should check your Climate Settings.

Push: "Menu"
Touch: "Settings" and "Other"
Touch: "Climate"
Make sure that "Use A/C While Idle" is on.

That's all I can think of concerning your problem.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I had an issue with my ac on my ‘15 gasser. There was a TSB about it and they fixed it for me. I don’t know if it applies to you or not.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Since you have a hybrid, I'm also assuming you have the Idling Stop feature that shuts off the climate control when your car is in the Idling Stop function.

Thanks Avedis53 for your feadback..

It doesn't matter if it was on "Auto" mode or not the problem will show-up randomly, I also don't have :Use A/C While Idle"

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,825 Posts
Ok...I guess I'm out of suggestions to try. Hopefully, someone else here can offer some insight to your issue.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had an issue with my ac on my ‘15 gasser. There was a TSB about it and they fixed it for me. I don’t know if it applies to you or not.
I have Q50 hybrid maintenance manual, and there is a section explains that the A/C system has fail safe mode. Therefore, I was thinking that a/c inverter heat protection is being triggered.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts

The climate control does not shut off during idle stop. I does not rely in any manner on the engine turning. Why would you say that?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,825 Posts
The climate control does not shut off during idle stop. I does not rely in any manner on the engine turning. Why would you say that?
When I read the section of the InTouch Manual (3-10) regarding "Use A/C While Idle", it says:

Touch to turn on/off the Idling Stop
Priority mode. When this item is turned
on, using the Climate Control will not be
affected by the Idling Stop activation.
Otherwise, the Climate Control system
will stop activating with the deactivation
of the engine as part of the Idling Stop
function.

I took that to mean that the Climate Control system wouldn't run while the car's engine stops because of the Idling Stop System's programming. Subsequent review of the InTouch Manual on page 3-2 says:

When the engine is stopped by the Idling
Stop System, performance of the heater and
air conditioner may be reduced to minimize
fuel consumption. For the best heating and
air conditioning performance, turn on the
[Use A/C While Idle] setting.

This seems to contradict what was written on pg. 3-10 in that it indicates the Climate Control system is put in some sort of "reduced" mode during the idle stop function. Poorly written manual, but that's no surprise.

At any rate, the OP said he doesn't have that feature on his car so it's irrelevant anyway.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
When I read the section of the InTouch Manual (3-10) regarding "Use A/C While Idle", it says:

Touch to turn on/off the Idling Stop
Priority mode. When this item is turned
on, using the Climate Control will not be
affected by the Idling Stop activation.
Otherwise, the Climate Control system
will stop activating with the deactivation
of the engine as part of the Idling Stop
function.

I took that to mean that the Climate Control system wouldn't run while the car's engine stops because of the Idling Stop System's programming. Subsequent review of the InTouch Manual on page 3-2 says:

When the engine is stopped by the Idling
Stop System, performance of the heater and
air conditioner may be reduced to minimize
fuel consumption. For the best heating and
air conditioning performance, turn on the
[Use A/C While Idle] setting.

This seems to contradict what was written on pg. 3-10 in that it indicates the Climate Control system is put in some sort of "reduced" mode during the idle stop function. Poorly written manual, but that's no surprise.

At any rate, the OP said he doesn't have that feature on his car so it's irrelevant anyway.
Absolutely none of that is true for the hybrid. None of these settings exist. There is no way to regulate the idle stop feature. You must be referring to the idle stop feature on one of the pure IC models. The 2.0L perhaps?

Why would the AC function be affected by whether the engine is running or not? The A/C compressor is electrically driven as is the water pump. There are no belts on the hybrid.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,825 Posts
Yeah, digging deeper into Infiniti's vague manuals shows that the Idle Stop system is standard equipment on the 2.0T versions only. My bad.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Yeah, digging deeper into Infiniti's vague manuals shows that the Idle Stop system is standard equipment on the 2.0T versions only. My bad.
That's OK. I've been corrected here at least once. If you don't make a mistake once in a while you aren't trying hard enough.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't how much this will help but, My Cadillac CTS was just doing the same thing. Turned out to be a $20 Cooling Fan Resistor that is inline with the power running to the fan that blows air over the AC Condenser Radiator when the car isn't moving. Check and see if that fan is running when it isn't workin. worth looking into.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Any luck? Today I noticed when I got in my car after work and turned air on and started driving that my ac was working and was definitely “cold” to some extent, but then I put my hand over the passenger vents and it’s was WAY more cooler. This is so annoying because now whenever I get into my car there is a definite difference. I know I don’t have to much longer with this car but it is extremely hot in the city and my warranty is up in August..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
Any luck? Today I noticed when I got in my car after work and turned air on and started driving that my ac was working and was definitely “cold” to some extent, but then I put my hand over the passenger vents and it’s was WAY more cooler. This is so annoying because now whenever I get into my car there is a definite difference. I know I don’t have to much longer with this car but it is extremely hot in the city and my warranty is up in August..

Blend door motor/actuator..

·
Registered
360 Posts
Blend door actuator is the culprit, this happened 2 days after I bought mine. Took it to the dealership and they fixed it in a few hours while I drive a Qx70. If they give you a hard time tell them to use a thermometer on both vents to see the difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Driver side blend door actuator. Going through this right now with my 2014. There's a PDF around here somewhere on how to fix it but if the car is under warranty get it in there and have it done.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,825 Posts
There is a TSB concerning HVAC temperature differences between the driver and passenger vents. It applies to the 2014-2016 Q50 air mix door motor on the driver's side.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Update : I have an appointment tomorrow to purchase my elite warranty from the dealer. Today though my a/c was working properly again after turning the a/c off and on. If it’s working properly tomorrow at the dealer I won’t bring it up, but does anyone have a link on a how-to guide to fix this issue?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts